New guy from NY

This is a discussion on New guy from NY within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Oh and welcome to the forum A7! I think you will be finding a lot of people in your state suddenly changing their opinion on ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New guy from NY

Oh and welcome to the forum A7! I think you will be finding a lot of people in your state suddenly changing their opinion on armed citizens over the coming days and weeks.
    Glock 26 Gen3 (EDC)
    Glock 21 Gen2 (HD)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

As to your questions. As has already been mentioned, checkout handgunlaw.us and also your state grassroots organizations. As to not wanting an ugly gun. You on your way, I didn't see a Glock in your list of guns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Greetings and welcome from Central Florida.

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Looks like a forum full of nice users!

I will checkout the hand gun site.

I also don't think glocks are appealing at all. I have been told by multiple people to get one but not my cup of tea.

More into the smaller, more tactical looking guns. Can't wait to get my hands on a few that I listed to see what they feel like. I'll know which one I want as soon as I pick it up.

The nice thing about it is if I really want, I can have my dad buy the gun for me (the store keeps the 2 I am most interested in right in stock)
    And when I get my permit he can transfer the ownership to me and it's mine, but I will originally pay for it

This would give me a few months of shooting out in the woods to be prepared to sign up for the C&C as soon as I get the permit

Quote Originally Posted by A7xSchecter6661 View Post
    Is there a site I can find the "how to guide" on carrying in New York? I want to know when it's considered self defense, when to pull the trigger, do you act like a cop and shoot to kill or shoot to incapacitate? Any help is appreciated.
    Pick up a copy of the book In The Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob. It'll help quite a lot with those basic questions of self-defense, use-of-force, as well as the tough questions on pros/cons of being capable of delivery deadly force on another.

And read through the New York statutes. If you can, as well, find a summary guide to the statutes written by a competent and knowledgeable New York person, such as an attorney, someone well versed in making sense of the apparently nonsensical. In Florida, Jon Gutmacher's done that, as well as John Machtinger in California. They've each produce a great guide to laws in their states. I'd recommend finding a similar book for New York's firearms and use-of-force related law.

Check some of the articles written at ACLDN, the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network. There is a good list of articles by Massad Ayoob (and others) over at Backwoods Home Magazine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum spend the time your waiting on your permit to be sure of your CC laws and test fire both weapons that interest you most.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

No place around here does test shooting that I know of so it's basically going to be luck of the draw, whichever I pick out of the case and fits right.

My dad and I might make a trip up to the shop and he might buy it for me and transfer it to me in a few months when I get the permit.
    I actually shoot his guns more than he does!

Really there is nothing wrong with that, you only need the permit to buy them not to shoot them so it's not doing anything shady. As it will later be properly transferred via sheriff's office.

I might even be able to convince him to get something besides a .22. He was actually just picking on me. He walked in and he's like: "so you're going to go out back, bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang $3, and I'm going to go out back bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangba ngbangbangbangbangbang 70 cents!"

Still I think he should get something other than a 22!

Welcome. I'm a big fan of the M&P line, and I think you can't go wrong with the 9c.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Hello! Welcome from Southeast Kansas!

A7, welcome from Western NY. All of the pistols tou are looking at will fit the biil for personal protection. I would say to get the one that feels best to you. I'm pretty sure that you will end up with more than just one gun. As for the CC rules, believe it or not they do vary by county. Some counties will pull your permit for being anywhere where alcohol is served, even a really nice restaurant that serves wine. Others discourage CCing when in bars, etc. but do not consider it a reason to pull your permit. Incidentally I think CCing at a bar is a really stupid thing to do; just my opinion.
    Anyway, welcome to the site and above all else... BE SAFE!!!

Welcome from the Midwest!
    Your list is a good one...you can't go wrong. Just pick the one that fits/shoots the best for you.
    I would go with a 9mm over a 380...simply for ammo costs.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links