New guy from NY - Page 3

New guy from NY

This is a discussion on New guy from NY within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello A7, and welcome from Missouri to this great forum. LOTS of good info and folks here! You may want to consider size for your ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New guy from NY

Hello A7, and welcome from Missouri to this great forum. LOTS of good info and folks here! You may want to consider size for your CCW - most of the handguns you showed are fairly large size. You may want to consider 9mm in the mix. The S&W Shield (40 cal or 9mm) and Taurus 709 Slim are nice small CCWs. You should get instruction and reference on carry in your CCL class. Also, check the many You-Tube videos by Massad Ayoob on use of Lethal Force - very good instruction for free.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by MoMan View Post
    A7, welcome from Western NY. All of the pistols tou are looking at will fit the biil for personal protection. I would say to get the one that feels best to you. I'm pretty sure that you will end up with more than just one gun. As for the CC rules, believe it or not they do vary by county. Some counties will pull your permit for being anywhere where alcohol is served, even a really nice restaurant that serves wine. Others discourage CCing when in bars, etc. but do not consider it a reason to pull your permit. Incidentally I think CCing at a bar is a really stupid thing to do; just my opinion.
    Anyway, welcome to the site and above all else... BE SAFE!!!
    Yes I know, anywhere alcohol, post offices and such. Luckily I don't go to bars and such :p I will be fine there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Welcome from the Midwest!
    Your list is a good one...you can't go wrong. Just pick the one that fits/shoots the best for you.
    I would go with a 9mm over a 380...simply for ammo costs.
    I want the 9mm for ammo costs, but I think my GF's dad's friend is telling me .357/.380 for beginner reasons. I don't think he knows I already shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Geobob View Post
    Hello A7, and welcome from Missouri to this great forum. LOTS of good info and folks here! You may want to consider size for your CCW - most of the handguns you showed are fairly large size. You may want to consider 9mm in the mix. The S&W Shield (40 cal or 9mm) and Taurus 709 Slim are nice small CCWs. You should get instruction and reference on carry in your CCL class. Also, check the many You-Tube videos by Massad Ayoob on use of Lethal Force - very good instruction for free.
    Yes some of them are bigger. I watched a video of the m&p shield compared to the bodyguard. The bodyguard is quite a bit smaller, but the shield isn't huge either.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVvt3vwJ1DU

The bodyguard is tiny and just about the same size (litterally within .25" of my dads taurus p22) They are literally pocket guns. I am aiming towards the bodyguard 380, but I posted all I was interested in. But here is what has me believing they are fine for CCW.

Smith & Wesson M&P 9c - Full Review of an Exceptional Pistol - YouTube

Watch that and see how easily even in tight clothes, the girl conceals the gun like you wouldn't even know she has it. Now that's the m&p9c which is slightly bigger than the shield. Yes the bodyguard is quite literally a pocket pistol, but these 2 guns aren't un-concealable.

Welcome from So Cal!

(magazine, not clip) My choice would be the Shield or M&P I own neither but have shot the M&P (non shield) and really liked it. It is in that genre of XD/Glock/M&P polymer pistols with good track records.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Welcome from Western Kentucky.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Hey what county are you in? I'm in NY as well.

Just joined the forums myself. If you want to go shoot some gun's I would go to Shooter's Pistol Range in New Milford CT. They have a handful of guns that you can shoot without a permit, as long as you are 21 I believe. You can also check into Hoffman's in Newington CT. Not sure if you will be able to shoot there, but they have a very nice range and a huge selection of handguns to try out.

As far as a .380 I would skip to a 9mm like everyone has suggested.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>

I think I remember skimming through the NY guide to owning and carrying guns once. Step 1: Move.
    Drgnfly and BenGoodLuck like this.

Welcome from Ohio.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome from WNY, nice 1st post. You have selected all very nice guns. Any chance you'll be able to shoot any first? While I love my PPK and LCP, they are not the easiest shooters. Would have loved to shoot them 1st. I just shot a Glock 27 today for the first time. Much more substantial of a gun for not that much bigger. My 1st was a Smith and Wesson .38 and I still carry it everyday. Revolvers go bang every time.
    Jealous of the land. Very.
    JIm

Just went to the range for the first time with my M&P 9c... loved it. Put 150 rounds through it, not one hiccup.

Welcome from another NY'er.

Hey what did yo end up with. I got rid of my bodyguard 380 and picked up a SR9C very nice gun you might check them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to Defensive Carry The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Hello from Tennessee.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links