New guy from NY

New guy from NY

This is a discussion on New guy from NY within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello there, I am going to soon be new to the world of carrying. I just turned 21 and applied for my pistol permit. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New guy from NY

New guy from NY

Hello there, I am going to soon be new to the world of carrying. I just turned 21 and applied for my pistol permit.

I grew up around guns, starting with the bb gun at age 8. Then my dad got me a bb pistol and then I moved onto the 22, .410, 12 gauge and then my dad got his pistol permit and two .22 pistols. I have also shot some bigger revolvers and pistols but I was younger and do not remember the names/sizes. All I remember is the revolver kicked like a horse and by the time I was done with 6 shots my ears were ringing for a few hours even with ear protection!

Now I just turned 21, and applied for the permit which can take anywhere from 3-6 months to get here in NY. That is all fine with me as I will have a nice amount of time to decide on which guns to look at.

I would also appreciate some input on the following guns I am looking at to be used as a carry and conceal. If you know anything about them I would appreciate your quick over view of the gun if you own one. Though I am leaning towards the bodyguard, the other ones also have my interest. My other concern is looks. I like things that look good and some pistols just look damn ugly. Now I am not giving up performance for looks, but I want you to know that I prefer a more tactical looking pistol than a revolver or ugly pistol like my dads smith and wesson 22A1 http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CE516FB377A100

Guns being considered:
    Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380

Smith and Wesson M&P9C

Smith and Wesson M&P Shield (slightly shorter than the m&p9c)

Walther p99

And to follow up with those guns, my girlfriends dad's friend who is a range master said I should start off with a .357 or .380 as my first gun. But I don't think he knows I have grown up around them.

And lastly when I take the C&C course, write a letter to the judge and give up the $250 what are my rights with it. Is there a site I can find the "how to guide" on carrying in New York? I want to know when it's considered self defense, when to pull the trigger, do you act like a cop and shoot to kill or shoot to incapacitate? Any help is appreciated.

I will stick around, as I am a constant forum goer for each one of my hobbies.
    Last edited by A7xSchecter6661; November 2nd, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
    bmcgilvray and BenGoodLuck like this.

Hey, welcome to the Forum! Yours is a inciteful and mature first post. I'm not much help to you on the pistols illustrated but there are a host of well-versed individuals here who can bring a lot of knowledge to bear on your questions.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Welcome to DefensiveCarry.com from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from Alabama
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

You'll probably get all kinds of information on your state's gun laws in your CC class. In the meantime you can try this site - Handgunlaw.us. It's a sub-forum at the heading for the Concealed Carry Forum which you can access directly. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your permit/license to come & you can start exercising your 2nd Amendment rights.

As for which gun to get. I'd suggest the Shield or it's larger brother the M&P9 or 40C. I'm partial to .40 cal myself but there's nothing wrong with 9MM & the Shield comes in both calibers but most of the time they're on back order. 9MM ammo is less expensive so that might be a good choice for that alone. The important thing is that you at least handle anything you're interested in. If you can shoot them it's a plus. Another "important thing" is that you arm yourself regardless which you decide on. Then find a good range & practice as much as you can. This can all be done while you're waiting for your carry permit. When it arrives you can strap your gun on & you'll have the assurance that you're ready to defend yourself or loved ones.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

New guy from NY

Welcome from okl. I have a bodyguard!!! Love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

You'll probably get all kinds of information on your state's gun laws in your CC class. In the meantime you can try this site - Handgunlaw.us. It's a sub-forum at the heading for the Concealed Carry Forum which you can access directly. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your permit/license to come & you can start exercising your 2nd Amendment rights.

As for which gun to get. I'd suggest the Shield or it's larger brother the M&P9 or 40C. I'm partial to .40 cal myself but there's nothing wrong with 9MM & the Shield comes in both calibers but most of the time they're on back order. 9MM ammo is less expensive so that might be a good choice for that alone. The important thing is that you at least handle anything you're interested in. If you can shoot them it's a plus. Another "important thing" is that you arm yourself regardless which you decide on. Then find a good range & practice as much as you can. This can all be done while you're waiting for your carry permit. When it arrives you can strap your gun on & you'll have the assurance that you're ready to defend yourself or loved ones.
    Yes, I will be able to handle the m&p and the bodyguard. A local shop has them both in stock :) As for the range, I have a gun club about 6 miles away and we have 180 acres to shoot on :)

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    Welcome from okl. I have a bodyguard!!! Love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I like to hear. For the low cost of $350-400 you get a nice, small hang gun with a laser. Enough for defense, slightly more expensive ammo. A clip larger than 6 rounds would be nice but this thing is tiny. It's the same size as my dad's Taurus P22 but that gun fits my hand nicely.

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome from South Carolina...Good luck in your journey and be safe! Remember, just because you are able to shoot COM on a target, does not necessarily give you the ability to defend yourself with your weapon. Seek out, and obtain some "quality professional defensive pistol training". At that point you will now be on the path to having the ability to defend yourself, and perhaps others, with your weapon...While training, also study your state laws concerning carry of a concealed weapon. Again, GOOD LUCK IN YOUR JOURNEY!!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yours is a inciteful and mature first post.
    Sorry, not trying to be a grammar nazi but I think/hope you meant "insightful"... Incite means to encourage violence.... kinda changes the meaning a bit.
    Glock 26 Gen3 (EDC)
    Glock 21 Gen2 (HD)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links