New guy needs some opinions

This is a discussion on New guy needs some opinions within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; hey folks new to this forum. Just to tell you a little about myself. I live in Knoxville tn work in law enforcement and im ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New guy needs some opinions

hey folks new to this forum. Just to tell you a little about myself. I live in Knoxville tn work in law enforcement and im looking for a good back up/ off duty carry gun. I am looking hard at the Kel Tec pf9 for 2 reasons. one its fits my budget and two I like the looks and feel. I have shot it and like it, but i read and hear alot of bad press about this gun. Now I realize i could get lucky and get a good one but overall is it worth the risk. Is all the bad press a bunch of BS or what? I realize most folks will say "save up some more money and buy as glock or what ever", but i don't like the small ccw glocks, never have and i have handled and shot many over the past month from all kinds of brands and makers and the Kel Tec feels the best in my hands, and like i said fits my budget, also i came here for unbiased opinions otherwise i would have went to the Kel Tec forum. Any way thanks for ant replies and I hope my first post was not to long.

VIP Member
    People generally really love or really hate the PF9. For me, it is without a doubt the sorriest POS I have ever owned.
    RichB70 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by police123 View Post
    hey folks new to this forum. ... also i came here for unbiased opinions otherwise i would have went to the Kel Tec forum. Any way thanks for ant replies and I hope my first post was not to long.
    Are you ever opening a can of worms! If you came for unbiased opinions, are you ever in the wrong place!!! What you will get here are honest opinions. We are all more than a little biased, but our opinions are usually based on real world experiences.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

can of worms

High Pockets that's what im looking for. I would have went to ktog but it seems most over there are trying to convince a person instead of being really honest, thats not what i was looking for. honest opinions are. thanks for your opinions and reply's.

Are you ever opening a can of worms! If you came for unbiased opinions, are you ever in the wrong place!!! What you will get here are honest opinions. We are all more than a little biased, but our opinions are usually based on real world experiences.[/QUOTE]

If you can expand your budget a little, I'd suggest looking at a Kahr CW9. Flat, compact, lightweight and 7+1 capacity. I've had mine for 5 years now, never a lick of trouble with it. Pretty nice trigger, too, for a striker-fired gun.
    pir8fan likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Welcome from South Carolina...

I'll just keep my "Glock mouth" shut!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome from The Bluegrass State. Glad to have ya'! I agree that the smart money would be taking the leap from Kel-Tec PF9 to Kahr CW9. I haven't had any trouble from my Kel-Tec (P32) but I haven't run the crap out of it, nor bet my life on it. I have done both with Kahr pistols.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Welcome.

+2 on the saving up for the Kahr.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Welcome to the forum!

I do not own a PF9, but have fired both the PF9 and the Ruger lc9. Both functioned well and fed hp ammo reliably (50rnds each with no ftf's).
    The lc9 was much smoother with rounded edges and smooth checkering on the grips which made it harder to hold (kept shifting in my hand when fired). The PF9 had more rough edges and sharper checkering on the grips so it didn't slide through my hand when fired. I haven't tried the Kahr CW9 yet, but it is on the list to check out.

I'm still looking and haven't made up my mind on a compact 9mm yet, want to try a few more out before I buy one. One thing I have decided is that I want a compact 9mm that doesn't have square corners. I carried a Friend's Glock for a few days, the hard corners seemed to poke into me and were harder to conceal than a more rounded edge would be IMO.

Tracy
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

If i sound like i have an attitude sorry that's not how i mean to come across. I am only asking for opinions on the Kel Tec pf9. Thanks.

PB2
    I used to own a PF9 and even though I didn't feel like I should have to smooth out rough edges and "fluff and buff" a gun I did it and was generally happy with it. That is until the firing pin fell out of it while I was shooting. After two days of searching and the use of a high powered magnet I found it. The next time I went to the range it happened again, but that time it landed on a table so I didn't have to search. I complained about the situation on the Keltec forum and was told I needed to put some lock tight on the ejector screw which also holds in the firing pin. Lock tight is a small thing and if it works for them, great. But I didn't think that was the kind of design I wanted to trust my life to. I sold the PF9 and bought a Ruger LC9. I did not need to sand anything or use any additional materials to make the gun function without falling apart. I've been much happier.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to the PF9 I have no experience with it. Years back I did have a which worked fine for me. My wife has a P32 which also has never failed to fire. KelTec will never win any awards for fit and finish on their guns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A smaller version of your duty gun is a pretty popular choice. I have no opinion of the Kel-tec pistols, I was looking that direction for my first 9mm carry pistol but decided to save up a little more and get a GLOCK 19. Carry it everyday and love it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Welcome from Michigan!
    I have a hard-chrome version of the pf9 (wearing it as I type).
    It's been 100% and is very easy to carry and conceal.
    It's not a range gun (lots of recoil), and the trigger isn't great...but it's improved over several hundred rounds.
    I've heard that the regular finish doesn't hold up...and that their quality can be hit or miss.
    The Kahr is a better built sub-compact...but the pf9 fits a niche.
    I highly recommend it for those on a limited budget...and looking for a very easy to conceal, light-weight pistol.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

mkh
    Welcome fro NE Florida.

I have the PF9 and had no problems with it but it isn't my EDC. I only carry the PF9 on those occasions that I can't conceal anything else. I have heard good and bad about it but no bad experiences other than it is hard to assemble for me. May just not have the technique down yet.

For EDC I trust my Sigs wholeheartedly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links