Want to carry concealed but need advice

This is a discussion on Want to carry concealed but need advice within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I have decided to pursue carrying concealed. I am a small woman, who works in a library as an administrator. I believe carrying in an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to carry concealed but need advice

Question Want to carry concealed but need advice

I have decided to pursue carrying concealed. I am a small woman, who works in a library as an administrator. I believe carrying in an ankle holster will fit best with my personal preferences. I am interested in advice as to what gun might be best to carry. I know using an ankle holster isn't ideal, but given my professional circumstances it is the best choice, and hey, it's better than my purse! I need something small, lightweight, and accurate. My husband has carried concealed for a number of years, so I am not coming into this entirely naive. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

Ruger LCR in a Galco Ankle Glove. Welcome to the forum!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Welcome from Delaware! There is a lot of good information on this forum to assist you.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If an ankle-holster is your chosen mode of carry, then IMO a decent .38/.357 revolver would be suitable. Which specific gun or size would be best for you would depend heavily on what you're competent and accurate with. Definitely find at least one good "rental" range at which you can try out various smaller pistols and revolvers. You might be surprised by what you're most capable with, and surprised by what you can't use to save your life ... which is, BTW, what it might come down to. Best to get it right, in that regard.

Here is a search tool that might help narrow the options: Genitron Handgun Database, including a <search> tool.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Welcome to the forums! This is a great place! I learned everything I know about CC from here (well, at least the concealing part). I may have to switch to ankle carry as well, due to a change in jobs and a significant change in wardrobe requirements. It's hard to "dress around the gun" when your obligated to wear a certain uniform. Plus, I do think ankle carry would suit my needs in the event that I needed it. So I'll be in for a learning curve in that department right along with you.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I'm new to concealed carry myself. IMO ankle carry is only good for a BUG. To difficult to get to if you needed it. I carry an M&P compact and Kahr PM9. The Kahr is very small,thin,lightweight. Many options for waist carry that nobody would notice. The female CC is being addressed and marketed to in a big way.

Glad you decided to CC. I wish my wife would. I would think about defensive scenarios and an ankle holster. Purse would be better. If your SA dictated a threat you could always have your hand on the gun "concealed" in the purse. I wish I had that option.

BTW welcome, glad to have another responsible gun owner CCing and fighting for our 2nd amendment rights.

Hello and welcome. Here are a couple of youtube videos, in case you haven't seen them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCD6YI2tFI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

I believe a small revolver (e.g. j-frame) will fit the bill.
    Last edited by boricua; December 6th, 2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Add info.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. My wife just purchased a Sig 238 Rainbow, which is small, light weight, and accurate, and would ride nicely in an ankle holster.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

Take a look at the Sig P938. It is 9mm, small, light weight, accurate and is easily concealable. Have you considered pocket carry or making minor adjustments to your wardrobe to accommodate your new lifestyle of carrying a concealed handgun?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Mrs. Holly, Welcome Aboard! I suggest first ID'ing what type of gun you'd like to strap to your ankle first... a revolver or a semi-auto. You indicated your of a small stature so I'm assuming your looking at a small(er) gun. A Ruger LCR or LCP 'might work, One of the small Taurus .380's as well. There are a BUNCH of choices but those first three I linked are my first 'guesses' as to what you might want to look at first. If at all possible find a range that has these and/or other small-framed firearms for rent and put a few rounds through them so you canjudge for yourself if that's the direction you'd like to go. Once you make a decision on the gun the holster selection will be the next step.

I do understand having to dress around a gun but being a 'guy' I have a much easier time dealing with that.

Also, do a search here of some questions you have..... chances are they've been asked before. If not, ask away! That's the purpose of most of us being here. This, in my opinion, is one of the best fourms out there with a great group of people and moderators. Also take a look atthe cornered cat website and our very own limatunes series of limalife youtube videos. Both have facebook pages and are members here.

Hope some of this helps get you started. Please keep us up-to-date on your search and ask any question.

...and again, welcome to the fourm!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin! I really can't address your question because I never ankle-carried nor am I female. I can suggest not to wear dresses or skirts if that's the route you take, lol. (unless you wear boots). I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here. Carry something in any way is the main goal. If ankle carry is the only way you can accommodate a gun then so be it. A lot better than nothing at all.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Lead Moderator
    Welcome!!

For that kind of carry a small automatic of small framed revolver would be best.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hello! From Southeast Kansas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links