Hello From Oklahoma City!

This is a discussion on Hello From Oklahoma City! within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; My name is Brent and I have been in shooting sports since 2002. I did not grow up in a house with firearms but I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello From Oklahoma City!

My name is Brent and I have been in shooting sports since 2002. I did not grow up in a house with firearms but I became interested in firearms after the terrorist attacks on Sep 11th. Like most American's, 9-11 was very difficult for me but it was not the first time I had been exposed to terrorism. Being from Oklahoma, I still remember the OKC Bombing like it was yesterday and it was so hard to comprehend at the age of 12.

My first pistol I fired was a J Frame S&W .38 Special and it was a rental gun at Bullet Hole Gun Range in Omaha NE. A few weeks later I started shooting a Glock 23. The J Frame remains my favorite carry gun today. Even though I am 29 I am kind of old school in thought. I do own numerous semi autos but I prefer revolvers because of their simplicity and dependability. When I started out with CCW I carried a full size Glock 22 and then like most, that full size firearm does stat to get cumbersome. In OKC the summer temps can easily clime into the triple digits. So most of the time I am carrying either a S&W 642, 640 or my M&P Compact 9MM.

Learning how to shoot and participating in defensive pistol classes was not enough to satisfy me. I got sick and tired of turning on the news and hearing about someone else who had been the victim of a violent crime. I decided to do something about it and today I hold several certifications with the NRA including Basic Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim (my favorite class to teach) and Range Safety Officer. I have taught hundreds of students since Feb 2006 and I enjoy teaching people how to protect themselves from violet crime. I am also Taser X26, ASP Baton, Kubotan and Oleoresin Capsicum Aerosol certified.

So there you have my short life story. I don't claim to know everything about firearms and I think like most of us we are constantly learning about firearms. My areas of expertise are in self defense ammunition, physical self defense, concealed carry techniques and less than lethal gear. I am a huge advocate of carrying a less than lethal option because it truly supplements the firearm. The people that believe firearms replace less lethal's and physical self defense training are as wrong as the people that think less lethal's replace firearms.

I would like to add that every member so far on this forum has been extremely friendly and I hope to learn a lot from this community.

Thanks and Stay Safe!

Brent

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. I spent quite a bit of time at Tinker back in '80-81 TDY when I was working as a civilian computer programmer for the Air Force. Even considered transfering there permanently. Loved the layed back, casual atmosphere of Levis and boots.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. I spent quite a bit of time at Tinker back in '80-81 TDY when I was working as a civilian computer programmer for the Air Force. Even considered transfering there permanently. Loved the layed back, casual atmosphere of Levis and boots.
    Thank you! Yes it is a very nice town but it has changed a lot since then. It is now more of a modern city with the NBA team and a lot of city urban renewal projects. It is not the town I remember from the 80's and 90's. They have cleaned up a lot of areas and attracted a lot of new businesses.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin, Brent!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

I always enjoyed OKC. I spent 17 years in SW OK, used to go to OKC at least once a month, usually more than that. A trip wasn't complete without a stop at Southwest Shooter Supply, or H&H. Left there in 98 and have only been back once to visit in-laws.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Hi Brent!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Hello! From Southeast Kansas!

Welcome from Massachusetts!

Welcome Brent, from Michigan. Nice choice for carry guns.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

P5
    Welcome from MD Brent
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Welcome from Tennessee
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links