Just bought my first handgun for multiple purposes.

This is a discussion on Just bought my first handgun for multiple purposes. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello everyone. I have just purchased a new gen 4 Glock 22 full sized .40 s&w handgun with night sights for home defense and range ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just bought my first handgun for multiple purposes.

AR [OP]

Just bought my first handgun for multiple purposes.

Hello everyone. I have just purchased a new gen 4 Glock 22 full sized .40 s&w handgun with night sights for home defense and range practice/training. I own several rifles, assault rifles, and shotguns but this is the first handgun I've ever owned. Anyhow, for the first week I just plan on learning how to safely chamber rounds, disassemble-reassemble the weapon, cleaning, all that good stuff.

I live in Houston, TX and got the glock 22 at a local store for about $600. I decided on the gen 4 G22 because of it's longer line of sight, larger magazine capacity, ambidextrous mag release, and ability to convert into a 9mm and .357 sig! I decided I liked the G22 better than the compact sized G23 for several reasons. I'm a new handgun shooter so I figured my aim will most likely be better with the longer line of sight on the gun. I will test this later on after possibly purchasing a compact size G19 or G23 in the summer for concealed carry. The second reason being that the G22 has a standard 15 round magazine in .40 s&w. I feel that in case of an emergency the extra 2 rounds might make a difference. This is the main reason why my first choice when window shopping was the G17 9mm with 17 + 1 round standard mags. Round capacity concerns me mainly because I've been watching the news a lot and almost every day there's a home invasion taking place involving several armed criminals. I don't know about you guys but the thought of 4 + armed criminals breaking into my home putting my family at risk makes me question, "how much ammo do I really need ready to go?" Either way it's awesome that glock owners can buy several types of extended magazines.

The next reason is the ambidextrous mag release since I plan on also training left handed with it. And finally the last reason is the ability to convert into a 9mm and .357 sig by changing out the barrel. With the 9mm conversion I'll need to buy 9mm magazines but that's not a big deal considering the money I will save practicing with 9mm instead of .40 s&w. The .357 sig conversion is just an awesome addition to have as well. Three different glocks in one glock frame. Your basically getting the G17, G22, and G31 for a whole lot less than buying all 3 separately. Pretty cool!!!

Anyways, this pistol will be my home defense gun, range gun, and my personal protection gun going to and from my place of business. I don't have a concealed license but read that it's legal for me to have it on me in my home, to my vehicle (extension of my home), to my business, back to my vehicle, and then back home. I may be wrong? Not sure about all the details which is why I'm joining this forum for help. I will most likely get my concealed license next summer when buying a more suitable carry weapon but until then I trust this full sized G22 will do the job. With that said I honestly don't plan on carrying a lot until I feel more confident in my skills and knowledge of being a first time handgun owner.

Mainly, I want to learn how and when to use this weapon to keep myself, my family, and anyone else in danger from threats SAFE! LEGALLY!!!

Well anyways thanks for reading. Hope to learn some good info from some of you experienced concealed handgun owners.

2. Remove Ads

Happy shooting................

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Welcome to the forum, and the world of hand gunning. You'll quickly find that it's addictive (both the forum and handguns) LOL. I too have a .40S&W GLOCK Model 22, though mine is Gen 1, purchased directly from GLOCK in the 90's. I previously owned the GLOCK 27 as well, and regret selling that little weapon. The model 22/27 makes for a really nice package, for many reasons. You could have done lots worse with your first handgun purchase. I have a .357 Sig barrel for mine as well, and like that it uses same magazines etc... Didn't realize the 9mm possibility, but it doesn't really matter, as I wouldn't buy a 9mm barrel for it, and the extra magazines, just to carry a lesser caliber. :) If I were you I'd practice with the .40 and maybe the .357Sig instead.

Sounds like some training, on the range and the classroom (re the laws in Texas) are in order. Enjoy it, and be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Greetings and welcome from the Space Coast of Central Florida.

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin! You can't do much better than a Glock. I wish I had the G23 I gave my son before we had a concealed carry law in WI, lol. Perversely I'm waiting for a newly purchased M&P40C to get delivered to the gun shop. I got a great deal on it although a new Glock is still always on my mind.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Hello! Welcome from Southeast Kansas!

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Welcome from Western Kentucky.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Congrats (but you have to post pictures... it's like a rule) and welcome aboard.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome from Michigan AR!

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Welcome to the forum, and the world of hand gunning. You'll quickly find that it's addictive (both the forum and handguns) LOL. I too have a .40S&W GLOCK Model 22, though mine is Gen 1, purchased directly from GLOCK in the 90's. I previously owned the GLOCK 27 as well, and regret selling that little weapon. The model 22/27 makes for a really nice package, for many reasons. You could have done lots worse with your first handgun purchase. I have a .357 Sig barrel for mine as well, and like that it uses same magazines etc... Didn't realize the 9mm possibility, but it doesn't really matter, as I wouldn't buy a 9mm barrel for it, and the extra magazines, just to carry a lesser caliber. :) If I were you I'd practice with the .40 and maybe the .357Sig instead.

Sounds like some training, on the range and the classroom (re the laws in Texas) are in order. Enjoy it, and be safe.
    Another dig at 9mm. What's up with that?
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Welcome to DefensiveCarry.com from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Welcome from South East Michigan.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links