1st post, idea for gun control

This is a discussion on 1st post, idea for gun control within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; How about forcing our insurance companies who we pay thousands and thousands of dollars to to pay for mental health care that our families desperately ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: 1st post, idea for gun control

How about forcing our insurance companies who we pay thousands and thousands of dollars to to pay for mental health care that our families desperately need, just as much as care for cancer, MS, autism, emphysema, HIV and diabetes?

And when people are obviously mentally incapacitated, there should be real treatment available, real programs in place.

We are the ONLY developed country in the world that still refuses to care for the mentally ill.
    phreddy likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

I don't believe that your mental health provider would consider you unstable due to depression that is treated. The problem that I see is the wrong people having guns and the right people not having guns, that's what I'm considering in my ideas. Again, think of it as a whole, would you vote for or against that proposal?

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

As to your ideas. The anti's are not going to budge on what they want. Their idea of reasonable is only LE having guns, and that is only during their shift.
    phreddy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Against. It's ineffective, opens doors that can easily be abused to take away our rights, and limits us and not the people who need limiting.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

My health care provider may not label me as unstable but others not as informed of the condition might. As for the the vote on the proposal. As long as #1 was still in there, I would have to vote NO.
    Sorry.

In short: No

As they said in "The Princess Bride", "Go back to the beginning".

Strike down all gun control laws as unconstitutional and let each individual decide based on the 2nd amendment. Anybody deemed too dangerous to own a gun is too dangerous to be on the streets.

It's a slippery slope when you start to talk about taking away rights from others based on what a person is capable of or what you think they might do. You should not be able punsih someone before they commit a crime.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    How about forcing our insurance companies who we pay thousands and thousands of dollars to to pay for mental health care that our families desperately need, just as much as care for cancer, MS, autism, emphysema, HIV and diabetes?

And when people are obviously mentally incapacitated, there should be real treatment available, real programs in place.

We are the ONLY developed country in the world that still refuses to care for the mentally ill.

Its probably closer to billions and billions of dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Kmcg1525 View Post
    I agree that would be a concern, but I really don't think it would happen much, if at all, I don't think many mental health workers would give a bogus diagnosis for petty or political reasons.
    Sorry to bust on you but if you think that then your very naive.
    phreddy and zacii like this.

Consider this. Deaths per year by vehicle accidents are greater than those by guns, yet both unnecessarily claim victims. I know anti-gun folks will say that there has never been a car crash that killed 20, 30, or more per incident like these terrible massacres, true. But, that's like saying loosing a $100 bill is unacceptable, but loosing $1 bills individually a 1000 times is OK. Unnecessary loss of life is unacceptable and proactive measures to reduce such should be taken no matter what the cause. In the United States, we can obtain a drivers license from one State, even if that State has different requirements than others, which then is valid in all 50 States. There are also different license classes, like youth permits, motorcycle, different variations of noncommercial and commercial licenses, each with unique training and requirements. So national wide level implementation of multi-tiered licensing is proven to be possible. As for a possible solution to reduce violent, unnecessary and horrific massacres without decrement to law abiding citizens, I would consider something similar to the common drivers license, implemented a little differently. Create a tiered concealed carry structure with incremental requirements for higher level of classification. The first tier might be a general CCW similar to those already offered by most states now. Perhaps a higher classification would include extensive training (and retraining) requirements and a much deeper background check, including mental health. Then modify the federal ban that prohibits carrying a concealed weapon at federal restricted locations only to those with the higher classification and only to areas not already protected by guards. This means a court house might remain a so called "gun free zone", but not Post Offices and Schools, which would become less of a target to those who break the law. Criminals are opportunists, if there is too much risk, they will not do it. If you think this is crazy, Michigan just passed a law very similar to this: Lawmakers Approve Changes To Concealed Weapons Law CBS Detroit

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Regardless how many laws are passed & regulations posted there's always some that fall through the cracks. I'm almost certain that the local thugs close to my neighborhood are illegally armed, drug-crazed, poorly educated & mentally unstable with long arrest records. What they're doing walking the streets is way beyond me.
    GH ur so right, what r they doing on the streets. They need to be somewhere put away from the public. That's the problem they keep getting out and doing crimes....Hurting innocent lives...This is really what needs to be addressed to our leaders because it's way outta control...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

They should really just make murder illegal. That would stop people from killing each other.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Welcome to DefensiveCarry.com from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

I think every ban should be fought. They will always ask for more. Just my .02 cents.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

The issue here is not guns, it is people. Wepons have been around since people have been hungry... Honestly, events in the news do not make me think about gun control, they make me think about how impotant it is for people to take care of themselves and others. Guns aren't getting more extreme... we are. We need to find ways to reconnect with others as a society in whole.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links