1st post, idea for gun control

This is a discussion on 1st post, idea for gun control within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by Dangerfield I think every ban should be fought. They will always ask for more. Just my .02 cents. Don't just fight the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: 1st post, idea for gun control

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    I think every ban should be fought. They will always ask for more. Just my .02 cents.
    Don't just fight the bans, that's a defensive posture, and some attacks (new restrictions) will get through. We need to be on offense to get current restrictions repealed.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Kmcg1525 View Post
    My ideas aren't just limiting, both sides would be giving in some, I hope that we wouldn't need to give in, but i believe that a hard line will not work and the only ones coming up with changes will be the antis.
    Well, we tried the magazine limit once before, and it made absolutely NO difference in the murder rate.

The problem with setting a regulatory number on anything is that the mindset that once we have a finite number, that number can be changed. A 10-round capacity limit, you say? Let's change it to 8 and reduce gun deaths by 20 percent. No, let's make it six. The term "slippery slope" has been trivialized, but it probably fits here. The number you agree to today is too big a number for someone else tomorrow.

Beyond that, we have NEVER been able to figure out who the criminals are before they commit the criminal act. We already face a problem with the forced disarmament of veterans suffering from mental health issues, even in the absence of any demonstrated violent tendencies. Do you think that is fair, or even right? Should nameless, faceless bureaucrats be allowed to control your life? "Sorry, Mr. Kmcg, your CAT scan shows that you lack the neural capacity required to drive, so you have thirty days to sell all your cars, and you can't have any where you live, either." - just an example of more government intrusion into a private citizen's life.
    Hoganbeg, Azchief, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    Welcome...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I live in California where there are plenty of gun laws that about half don't make any sense. There are still murders, rapes, home invasions, robberies and so on. You know why? Because nothing can be done about the criminal! They didn't ban boxcutters or airplanes after 911, they didn't ban fertilizer after OC bombing. They hardened targets. Let's take our home for example. Sure, there's access for a maggot to come prancing onto the property but will not be successful in carrying out whatever he's going to do at my house compared to a neighbor that hasn't prepared. Offense to the law abiding is not the answer. Preparation, education, training and the mindset for defense is the best way to minimize tragedy. Our schools educate and prepare for earthquakes and they used to educate and prepare classrooms for nuclear attack when it was a threat. Are school shootings not a threat now? I believe it's time to wake the hell up and admit it.

I wrote this in another thread but took it down because it didn't fit the topic well. But here are a few thoughts that I see fit into the gun control issue and other factors that could be looked at.

Well let's start with the firearms themselves if we must.

We used to carry rifles and shotguns in our vehicles going to high school on hunting days. No mass shootings.

We used to be able to wear apparel that had Remington and Winchester printed on it. No mass shootings.

We used to have Dads that whipped our butts when our behavior was at its worst. No mass shootings.

A little bit before my time they used to have rifle teams in high school for crying out loud! No mass shootings.

Fights used to be started and finished with fists, schools were allowed to demand respect, it wasn't child abuse to make your kid turn off the shoot-'em-up video game at 2 o'clock in the morning on a school night, sex ed was taught as a structured class in school instead of texting pictures back in forth during English class, if you were going to be tough enough to be a bully one used to have to do it face to face instead of from mommy's basement on the internet, neither the Flag of the United States nor the Bible offended anyone, law enforcement used to be respected and songs about killing them and other people weren't played on the radio, most parents didn't used to have illegal drugs for breakfast, lunch and dinner, gangs of kids weren't made up of a bunch of worthless, fatherless go nowhere in life people who's only goal was to kill someone from another group of kids whom they have never even met......shall I go on?

Handguns, shotguns, rifles and machine guns have been around pretty much since the U.S. has been called the U.S.. And some want to start by taking away guns instead of addressing a bigger, more complex problem in society? I guess it's the easier, feel better way but will yield nothing but disappointing results. What happens when the real problem isn't addressed but only freedoms taken away? Is that where we want to go?

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Gun Control, if we can prove that my firearms caused any of this and law enforcement does not feel the need to have to use theirs anymore, then I will gladly turn them in for evaluation to determine their malfunction. Sarcastic, I know. But come on, let's get serious, stop the madness and get to the real problem which lies in the mind of the mentally ill, not in my gun safe. Because apparently our kids' lives are depending on it.

Sincerely,

Freedom Nut, AKA "Gun Nut" who is sick and tired of gun control not working.
    1MoreGoodGuy and JDE101 like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I've been following this board for sometime, was meaning to post a hello some time ago, but never did. Hopefully people don't discount what I have to say due to my lack of activity, but I would understand if they did.

I have an idea for gun control, I know, not a great way to start posting. Both pro-gun and anti-gun people are outraged by this recent tragedy, we need to be part of the solution, I believe the days of drawing a hard line will not work this time.

Here is my idea, look at it as a whole, not just individual pieces that people may or may not like. I do not blame the guns for this tragedy, nor do I think that my ideas would have stopped it, but the public will be looking for a scapegoat to blame for this and they will blame the guns. Changes are going to come of this and I fear that they will not be good, we need to have pro-gun people involved in the conversation. So, here is my 5 point idea:

1. Allow mental heath care workers to report unstable people without fear of HIPAA
    2. End all “gun free zones”
    3.Ban magazines over 17 for handgun, over 30 for rifle
    4.National reciprocity for CCW
    5. Back ground checks for private sales
    Here's my compromise...it would solve a BIG part of the problem.
    Azchief likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nope on all points. Welcome to the forum
    multistage likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I've been following this board for sometime, was meaning to post a hello some time ago, but never did. Hopefully people don't discount what I have to say due to my lack of activity, but I would understand if they did.

I have an idea for gun control, I know, not a great way to start posting. Both pro-gun and anti-gun people are outraged by this recent tragedy, we need to be part of the solution, I believe the days of drawing a hard line will not work this time.

Here is my idea, look at it as a whole, not just individual pieces that people may or may not like. I do not blame the guns for this tragedy, nor do I think that my ideas would have stopped it, but the public will be looking for a scapegoat to blame for this and they will blame the guns. Changes are going to come of this and I fear that they will not be good, we need to have pro-gun people involved in the conversation. So, here is my 5 point idea:

1. Allow mental heath care workers to report unstable people without fear of HIPAA
    2. End all “gun free zones”
    3.Ban magazines over 17 for handgun, over 30 for rifle
    4.National reciprocity for CCW
    5. Back ground checks for private sales
    First I will welcome you to the forum.

Second, how would you react if someone told you that you have to give up all or part of your rights to have your own thoughts and words, and that you have to do this to appease the people who don't want to hear you speak or read the words and thoughts you type on forums or in a book?

I will stand in front of you to defend your right to think, speak and write your mind.

I will stand in front of you to defend all of your rights.

Will you stand in front of me to defend my 2nd amendment right? Your post already proves that you would not be willing to stand in front of me to protect all of my rights.

We all have the same rights and we all deserve to have our rights protected and defended equally.

You, as an individual, can choose to exercise all or part of any of your rights.

I can also do the same. However, I choose to exercise all of my 2nd Amendment Rights.

You and the government do not have a right to alter my rights in any way shape or form.

My rights don't come from the government or from any man.

My rights come from a much higher place.
    daddysgirl likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome from South Carolina...

Don't try to find ways to "compromise"...find ways to ENFORCE the laws on the books already...find ways to keep guns out of criminal hands...find ways to ensure our own justice department doesn't come up with schemes to put guns on the street and into illegal hands...DON'T MESS WITH MY RIGHTS guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment...JMO
    mprp and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

As I read all the statements in this thread I thi k about my CCP? I went through training, proved I could shoot and hit my target. I went through a background check
    And even hed mental care providers checked for any mental issues I may have. If Im correct almost all CCP holders went through all these. Reffering back to the driversl license comparison. I also possess aCDL? I must have a physical every year to keep that. As a pilot you are also required a physical. All of these licenses have one thing in common. LAW ABIDING CITIZENS? How many unlicensed people are driving cars motorcycles and trucks, How many unlicensed people are carrying guns. Take away our CCP abd only these people that attack schools, movie theaters, churches so on and so on will still be armed. The problem is not disarming the people who do it correctly but those that do it illegally.
    What is this sollution for this?

Welcome Aboard and greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We now know yours.
    daddysgirl likes this.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Hello! Welcome from Southeast Kansas!

1st post, idea for gun control

Welcome from the Lone Star State. I see where youre going. I dont agree with your proposal. Only because i dont think that these types of offers lead to anything substantive from the other side. Youre basically asking them to make ccw easier. Thats not going to happen in this climate. The magazine restrictions are useless in my opinion. The mental health designation seems ok but the potential for abuse makes it a no go for me.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. I won't add anything to what has already been said by others. Control the "nut" cases -- NOT the tools!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links