1st post, idea for gun control

This is a discussion on 1st post, idea for gun control within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I've been following this board for sometime, was meaning to post a hello some time ago, but never did. Hopefully people don't discount what I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: 1st post, idea for gun control

1st post, idea for gun control

I've been following this board for sometime, was meaning to post a hello some time ago, but never did. Hopefully people don't discount what I have to say due to my lack of activity, but I would understand if they did.

I have an idea for gun control, I know, not a great way to start posting. Both pro-gun and anti-gun people are outraged by this recent tragedy, we need to be part of the solution, I believe the days of drawing a hard line will not work this time.

Here is my idea, look at it as a whole, not just individual pieces that people may or may not like. I do not blame the guns for this tragedy, nor do I think that my ideas would have stopped it, but the public will be looking for a scapegoat to blame for this and they will blame the guns. Changes are going to come of this and I fear that they will not be good, we need to have pro-gun people involved in the conversation. So, here is my 5 point idea:

1. Allow mental heath care workers to report unstable people without fear of HIPAA
    2. End all “gun free zones”
    3.Ban magazines over 17 for handgun, over 30 for rifle
    4.National reciprocity for CCW
    5. Back ground checks for private sales

2. Remove Ads

So I'm a healthcare worker and pissed at you or in my subjective opinion, because I disagree with your political views or anything else for that matter, you are unstable and therefore I report you. You are now under the government eye and cannot own a gun. You now also cannot get a job, buy a house or seek many other things because of the government label.

NMB
    Next lets start limiting the first amendment. You dont really NEED to say that stuff do you?

1) only protest between the hours of 5-8pm
    2) no private distribution of written material, background checks before publishing (just so we know youre not crazy)
    3) How about a license before going online and posting?

Seems reasonable to me. Its not like we are taking your rights away, just making everyone safer from ideas they dont want to hear.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I agree that would be a concern, but I really don't think it would happen much, if at all, I don't think many mental health workers would give a bogus diagnosis for petty or political reasons.
    BritishAgent likes this.

My ideas aren't just limiting, both sides would be giving in some, I hope that we wouldn't need to give in, but i believe that a hard line will not work and the only ones coming up with changes will be the antis.

Gun control of any sort is not the answer. Allowing mental health workers this latitude will open the door to many bad things. If you look at this tragedy in perspective, as horrible at it is, there are other problems that are worse. How many die every day from drug abuse or alcohol abuse, drunk driving etc and NOTHING is being done about that. How many are being killed in Chicago every week due to gang violence and what is being done there? Nothing, and you can't own a gun in Chicago regardless of what the SC has said. We have always had evil people in our midst and always will, I think the best that we can hope for is to be prepared. If you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend it's the evil guns that do this, these tragedies will continue.

Main problem number 1
    mental heath care workers who are very anti gun proclaiming everyone they see unfit to own a gun.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Look at history. In countries that had limited peoples rights, they usually had government mental health workers label political dissidents as mentally unstable. It has already been suggested here by the radical lefties in our government.
    Certified Infidel

I agree with everything you are saying, i just fear that this could become our Dunblane.

The next thing that will happen after all our Constitutional rights have been taken from us will be.........
    "Your Papers Please" and "why are you out...and where are you going"
    Bark'n likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

GH
    Regardless how many laws are passed & regulations posted there's always some that fall through the cracks. I'm almost certain that the local thugs close to my neighborhood are illegally armed, drug-crazed, poorly educated & mentally unstable with long arrest records. What they're doing walking the streets is way beyond me.
    Richard58 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Some states already have laws in place......like NJ......15 round mag maximum. ......NG.

You dont have to go as far as having mental health workers call it in. Right now it's hard for even a family member to make sure a troubled relative gets treatment. Thats ridiculous. You wouldnt need to get the government involved if the people who know the person best could legally have them evaluated.
    Richard58 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmcg1525 View Post
    I've been following this board for sometime, was meaning to post a hello some time ago, but never did. Hopefully people don't discount what I have to say due to my lack of activity, but I would understand if they did.

I have an idea for gun control, I know, not a great way to start posting. Both pro-gun and anti-gun people are outraged by this recent tragedy, we need to be part of the solution, I believe the days of drawing a hard line will not work this time.

Here is my idea, look at it as a whole, not just individual pieces that people may or may not like. I do not blame the guns for this tragedy, nor do I think that my ideas would have stopped it, but the public will be looking for a scapegoat to blame for this and they will blame the guns. Changes are going to come of this and I fear that they will not be good, we need to have pro-gun people involved in the conversation. So, here is my 5 point idea:

1. Allow mental heath care workers to report unstable people without fear of HIPAA
    2. End all “gun free zones”
    3.Ban magazines over 17 for handgun, over 30 for rifle
    4.National reciprocity for CCW
    5. Back ground checks for private sales
    No. the gun is not the issue. It is the person. the more I read about this shooting, the more it seems similar to the Jared Loughner case. Parents/society ignored huge warning signs of an unstable person. I have read that she could not work because he required so much care. I am not sure how his mother stored her firearms, but knowing her son's mental state, she had a responisbility to secure them from him. Do not take away my rights because she was irresponsible.
    Darrow75 likes this.

I agree with 3 out of 5 of your suggestions.
    #1- Because I take medication for depression. I am not a risk because I take this medication but people see the word "DEPRESSION" and they immediately think suicidal. In my case, I just lost ambition, was lethargic and did not have any motivation.
    #3- I don't entirely dismiss this suggestion but I don't think it will make much difference. They will just carry more magazines.
    Pro-gunners need to put something on the table for gun reform ideas or the gun grabbers will do it for us and we will lose.

S&W Sigam .40
    S&W M&P AR-15
    daddysgirl likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links