Hi from Central Texas - Page 2

Hi from Central Texas

This is a discussion on Hi from Central Texas within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome from Md...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hi from Central Texas

P5
    Welcome from Md
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

Welcome from South Carolina...

Your journey begins...Good luck!...Be safe!!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Welcome!

Welcome from Houston! I like to see all of the Texans joining this forum. I think you will learn a lot from everyone here.

Hi from Central Texas

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

Choosing a handgun is a very personal Choice. You'll get plenty of opinions on which is best & worse but you'll have to make the choice all by yourself. You have a good start by shooting several guns in different calibers. Continue your training. Make your decision by doing research, try as many guns you can, decide how much you want to pay & whether you'll just use the gun for sport shooting, home defense or concealed carry or all of the above.

My recommendations - anything Glock or M&P. I say that because I'm familiar with several of each brand & they've been reliable. I recommend .40 cal but that's because it's the caliber I've settled on.
    Thanks for this advice. I've done an embarrassing amount of research on the web and have a narrowed list of guns and an idea of the caliber I think is good for me. I'm getting the drift that guns are like my other hobby of photography - no single camera / lens can do everything. This is essentially what I'm trying to do; get a handgun that is powerful enough for home defense, small enough to conceal carry if that becomes comfortable for me, but still enjoyable to learn with at the range.

I'm leaning toward 9mm but will consider .40. I want a round that is reasonable in price to practice with.

My short list of guns I would like to try: S&W Shield, Walther PPS, Glock 26 (or 27). I think getting some time with these will help me decide what direction to go in.

Welcome from SE Michigan. And Wow everything that GH said. But my pick was the Full Size M&P 40.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>

Hello, Natiedean, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here!

Since you are new to this handgun, self defense arena, consider taking some good instructional classes once you choose your handgun. I also recommend you check out the many free YouTube videos made by Massad Ayoob, a world-class instructor, who has recorded training sessions in Judicious Use of Force, Shoot to Live, Home Invasion, Preparation for Home Defense, and What to Do After a Shooting. Just Google his name and these topics and the YouTubes should show up. Very good information from an expert, and free.

And, best wishes for a safe, prosperous New Year to you and yours.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natiedean24 View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Thanks for this advice. I've done an embarrassing amount of research on the web and have a narrowed list of guns and an idea of the caliber I think is good for me. I'm getting the drift that guns are like my other hobby of photography - no single camera / lens can do everything. This is essentially what I'm trying to do; get a handgun that is powerful enough for home defense, small enough to conceal carry if that becomes comfortable for me, but still enjoyable to learn with at the range.

I'm leaning toward 9mm but will consider .40. I want a round that is reasonable in price to practice with.

My short list of guns I would like to try: S&W Shield, Walther PPS, Glock 26 (or 27). I think getting some time with these will help me decide what direction to go in.
    If you haven't checked them out, take a look at the Sig P938, the Walther PPQ, the Ruger SR9C and the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

A warm welcome from Michigan!
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Myk

Re: Hi from Central Texas

Welcome from snowy Ohio.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    "When they bury me, make sure they bury me with my guns on. Im gonna need em. Cause when I get to the other side, there's some things that need straightening out." ~Bobaflex~

Hello! Welcome From Southeast Kansas!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Greetings and welcome to the forum from the Space Coast of Central Florida.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links