Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noob from South Carolina - Ammo recommendations?

1K views 30 replies 31 participants last post by  pipedream 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

New from South Carolina and just received the G26 9mm for Christmas. Trying to find good ammo for the range
as well as for defense, although I do not know the difference between 9mm +P / 9mm P+ ...etc. Any help would
be much appreciated! Thanks for your time.

#3 ·
Well, just loaded my 9 (back-up) for Reno for New Years, for the next couple of days ............. if not 149 grain HS.... the the 135 Federal HPs.................. Just sayin.

Want to talk primary .45............... but that is not why you posted here.

Also, welcome here.

Semper Fi!

#4 ·
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

If you start a new thread over here Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics you might get a better response to your question.

I use Remington UMC 115g FMJ at the range. I can usually find the 250 round box at Walmart.

For carry ammo I use Federal Hydra Shock 147g JHP. I can also usually find this at Walmart.

#5 ·
Any may be a tad hard to find right now but with Glock's reputation any brand should be okay.
Winchester White Box is a good range ammo. Wally World normally would carry it. I've used it
in .38s and .380s without any problems.

Welcome from Sparkle City neighbor.

J

#6 ·
Welcome from Wisconsin!

With a Glock you can feed it just about anything. I use .40 cal & stick with Speer Gold Dots or Federal Tactical HST. Many also use that ammo in 9MM. Good for self defense but expensive.

#12 ·
Welcome from Virginia.

As for defensive ammo, most any of the major manufacturers will preform satisfactorily down range. The question is what ammo works best in your particular gun. No 2 guns are the same. You'll need to experiment to see what works best in your gun. It can get expensive, especially now. When you can find some, and it works for you, stick with it until availability gets better.

#15 ·
Welcome from the Midlands of SC.

I do not own a Glock, but hear many people stating that a Glock will shoot anything.

For cost reasons and availability I have been shooting American and Blazer Brass 9mm 124gr (standard P). I get my target ammo from Palmetto State Armory in Columbia. Currently, they are still showing some Blazer Brass 115gr still in stock: 9mm Luger - Handgun Ammunition - Ammunition

Academy also has a decent selection and pricing, but I have not checked availability lately. But as stated by another poster, good luck finding ammo right now.

For a protection round, I recently ordered 150 rounds of Speer Gold Dot in 124gr from sgammo.com. Great pricing and no issues shipping and receiving my order. But they are low on supply too.

Good luck finding some ammo and have fun with your new gun.

Ed

#16 ·
Welcome!!

Note the advice above about placing your question in the proper section of the forum, you will get more and better answers there. A lot of folks don't follow the welcome section or leave detailed answers here.

#23 ·
If you're in the Columbia area, go to a shop called Lawman's, and pick up a box or two of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P 9mm ammunition.

Great stuff. The "+P" designation means it's a hotter load, or has more powder, thus a higher muzzle velocity and energy than a non +P round. Typically 25% above if I recall. +P+ is one step above that, but not all guns are rated to handle +P+ ammo, and there is no standard for +P+ in regards to the overcharge, so it can be dangerous to the gun. +P however, works in pretty much everything for 9mm.

#24 ·
Welcome from Florence, SC...

#26 ·
Hello, QuickCarry, and welcome from Missouri to a really great forum. Good people and info here!

I'm thinking that P+ and +P are the same - basically means increased pressure over a standard load. +P+ is even more pressure than +P. Many experts think the additional "+" ammo is mostly hype vs giving any real advantage. As you'll hear often, the real key to stopping a threat is the same as the key in real estate: "location, location, and location" (of where you place multiple rounds in the threat).

For good information on choosing SD ammo, check out this report:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

If you are new to this handgun, self defense arena, consider taking some good SD instructional classes in addition to safety classes. I also recommend you check out the many free YouTube videos made by Massad Ayoob, a world-class instructor, who has recorded training sessions in Judicious Use of Force, Shoot to Live, Home Invasion, Preparation for Home Defense, and What to Do After a Shooting. Just Google his name and these topics and the YouTubes should show up. Very good instructinal information from an expert, and free.

And, best wishes for a safe, prosperous New Year to you and yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.