Introduction - looking for my first concealed carry weapon

This is a discussion on Introduction - looking for my first concealed carry weapon within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi All: I'm new to guns. I had not held a gun for 20 years until last year. I purchased a Henry 22lr lever action ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Introduction - looking for my first concealed carry weapon

Question Introduction - looking for my first concealed carry weapon

Hi All:
    I'm new to guns. I had not held a gun for 20 years until last year. I purchased a Henry 22lr lever action rifle and a browning buck mark
    22lr camper handgun when I turned 50 a couple months ago. I love shooting both of them. The trigger action on the buckmark is easy and it's
    very accurate.
    I have terrible pain in my feet and legs all the time so I spend a lot of time on my own with my two pooches. I am looking to get a weapon to
    use as my concealed carry gun to have with me at all times. I walk with a cane or sit in a wheelchair depending on the distance and terrain.I'm
    thinking 9mm or 38 special.

I am going to a Shooting Range in Houston and will try out both 9mm and 38 special to get a feel for which one I'll be more comfortable
    with in a tight situation before purchasing. I have reviewed the forums here. I'm open to any other suggestions. Thanks!
    KC

VIP Member
    Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. While you're trying out the pistols you may want to make sure you try a couple of different flavors of the guns, particularly the 9mm pistols.

When it comes to revolvers it begins and ends with Smith and Wesson in my mind, though many love the Rugers and some even really enjoy Charter. In the end though, most of them work and feel pretty much the same to most shooters. The 9mm is a different game. the Glock 19 is very popular, but some hate the way the gun feels in their hand but love the Sig 229 or M&P 9 (or any of the other choices). So I'd recommend trying out a few of the 9mm pistols before you make your decision.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

VIP Member
    Glock 19 gets my recommendation.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Welcome from central FL!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Greetings and weclome to the forum from the Space Coast of Central Florida.

Welcome sir...

My response?

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Get some basic training FIRST. At this point you need fundamentals, not run and gun, or force on force. Reputable instructors will provide a host of handguns and holsters for you to experience in class. That will give you some idea of where your preferences might lead you in handgun selection. Then.....

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion... again....get some training......proper shooting techniques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right. Most gun shops have a box of used holsters that you can experiment with after you've chosen what gun works best for you. There are many options for concealed/open carry.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can hit your target.

If you're buying a handgun for home protection, and you choose to NOT have it on your person, you should consider where in your home you might be if someone kicks the door in. I don't see a person in a position to be able to ask an intruder to "hang on a sec, while I get my gun"

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil...I've known more than a few gents who didn't care for the recoil of what's often called a "ladies gun"... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
    Exacto likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

I can recommend either an M&P 9C or Glock 19. there are many other fine handguns out there, though. Just find the one that fits you the best. If you can rent some & try them out you'll have a better chance on buying "your" gun.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Hello! Welcome from Southeast Kansas!

Welcome! Find a range that rents and try as many as you can before making a decision. Only you can tell what fit you better. What works for me as a baseline is a S&W 442, Ruger LCR or Ruger LCP. These weapons are small (harder to shoot) but you can easily carry them at all times. Good luck!
    RichB70 likes this.

Welcome from SE Michigan.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links