I'm new - Turtlemom3

This is a discussion on I'm new - Turtlemom3 within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I'm 70 years old, have moderately severe rheumatoid arthritis which affects the strength and flexibility of my hands (not to mention the rest of my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new - Turtlemom3

Wink I'm new - Turtlemom3

I'm 70 years old, have moderately severe rheumatoid arthritis which affects the strength and flexibility of my hands (not to mention the rest of my body). I've been around firearms off and on most of my life, and used to be pretty good with my grandfather's .45 (1911) that he carried in France in WW I. I can hardly pick it up now. I have a Sig Sauer 380, but it's getting too much for me. So my dear husband introduced me to the Taurus PT 22. OK. The 22 in my pocket is better than the .45 and .380 that I can no longer use.

So I'm looking at holsters. I don't wear jeans (can't get in and out of them). I don't wear a belt (it hurts). I am very, very full-figured (ok - I'm FAT!), and have lumps on top of my lumps. I need something for home wear (open carry) and something for concealed carry. I am frequently (but no always) confined to a wheelchair. Other times I use a walker or a cane to shuffle around. Well - finding a holster under these circumstances is interesting. The shoulder systems all use a belt anchor anymore. So that's out. I saw a picture of a shoulder holster with an under-the-boobs band - but frankly we can't afford it. I thought maybe a bellyband but raise it up under my boobs and make it more of a chest band.

Any suggestions? I'm open to suggestion. Just remember, I have very limited resources. What resources I have I need to spend on ammo and firing range for practice. I need to get very good again. Yes, people will attack a crippled old woman, and my little "equalizer" is my only defense.

I'll re-post this on the women's holsters thread.

Cheerio!
    Turtlemom3

2. Remove Ads

Welcome from So Cal! Can't help on holsters, sorry. Good on ya for realizing your limitations and maximizing where you can. I wouldn't volunteer to get shot with a .22!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Hi Turtlemom and welcome to the group!

I'm a big fan of Remora holsters. They do not require a belt, they have no waistband clip and they're very flexible in positioning. They're basically "friction fit"... ever so slightly "sticky", but not objectionally so.

There are lots of examples on the Internet and no shortage of videos on youtube.com
    Mrs. Whoppo and I use then for a variety of handguns, large and small. They're between $25 and $35, so it won't break the bank either.

Best wishes and don't hesitate to ask qustions here... it's our pleasure to help!

cheers!

Ron
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Welcome from Ohio. Good luck with your quest to find a good holster.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from SE Michigan.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Welcome from Michigan!
    Sorry I can't help you with the holster question either...just glad you've been able to find a pistol you can still shoot.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome to the forum. A belly band holster may be the thing for you. They also make them with a loop to go over your shoulder so they ride higher up than the waist. They also have ankle holsters or velcro holsters that you might be able to conceal in a wheel chair.

If money's tight, I'd be happy to trade you any holster you want for your old 1911, but I'm sure you know that it's worth more than just some holster.

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

At the moment im wearing a Tagua shoulder rig that has removable belt anchors that I have removed and carry a pt945 comfortably. It was a 100 bucks new. A galco miami classic doesnt have to use the belt anchors either and goes for about 150 new.
    Remora is cheap and folks rave about them but I have no personal expierence with them. Good luck on your hunt

Welcome from South Carolina...Don't rule out a "fanny pack"... fanny packs for pistols - Google Search
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Welcome to Defensive Carry The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great. Remember the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Hello! Welcome from Southeast Kansas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links