New member looking to conceal in california

This is a discussion on New member looking to conceal in california within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello all. I am a resident in California, in a county that is known for handing out CCW's, fairly easy. Our local sherriff understands that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New member looking to conceal in california

Hello all. I am a resident in California, in a county that is known for handing out CCW's, fairly easy. Our local sherriff understands that having responsible armed citizens, just might make his job easier. I am picking up my application on friday, and i am going to submit it next week. I was wondering if somebody could give me some pointers on how you "justified" a permit. I camp with two young children and frequent the high sierras. Also i travel in LA quite a bit with cash to travel and tools for work, however in a company vehicle. These are two of my main reasons, other than to protect my family if an event arises where fleeing wont keep them safe.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloke279 View Post
    I was wondering if somebody could give me some pointers on how you "justified" a permit. I camp with two young children and frequent the high sierras. Also i travel in LA quite a bit with cash to travel and tools for work, however in a company vehicle. These are two of my main reasons, other than to protect my family if an event arises where fleeing wont keep them safe.

Thank you in advance.
    Tell them you fear the government is going to take your guns away and need a way to protect yourself from them as the 2A allows.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

J_B

What county. Have you tried calguns.net? I hate that site but they do have good info.

I tried to register awhile back, but it wouldnt let me get past the registration for some reason.

I want a different reason other than for my 2A rights. Camping, hunting and for business safety.

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

J_B

I tried to register awhile back, but it wouldnt let me get past the registration for some reason.

I want a different reason other than for my 2A rights. Camping, hunting and for business safety.

If you know your county gives them out I wouldn't worry too much.

When people ask me while out at calls for service or out of conversation I tell them that due to LEO cutbacks, response time is extended and protecting yourself and your family is primary concern.

Since you travel for business I'd definately add that in somewhere. Not sure how as I've never had to answer that one.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you are issued one. I can only wish and hope more people take the time and make the effort for their CCW permit.

It makes me feel better out there....

Welcome from central FL!

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Lead Moderator
    Welcome!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

... give me some pointers on how you "justified" a permit.
    It all depends on the sheriff in question, as to what's going to be considered a good enough reason for needing to carry.

To my way of thinking, "for all lawful purposes" is sufficient reason enough. And for those who refuse to see the simplicity of that reality, there's no real way around the fact that PROTECTION OF YOUR LIFE and those of your family members is a rock-solid reason. Of course, altogether too many sheriffs in California fail to see the humor in that, instead preferring to rest on their arbitrary control-freak status as judge, jury and executioner when it comes to accepting such a claim.

BTDT, myself, carrying CA for many years. Lived in a county with a sane, rational and upstanding sheriff who saw no reason why upstanding citizens shouldn't carry at all times. By all accounts, he fully accepted the "for all lawful purposes" justification. Myself, I only used that the last time around (back when), whereas each of the prior instances of applying/renewing found me reciting the litany of situations in which I've found myself being attacked/threatened. In each case, it did the trick, but that was over the course of two different sheriffs in that county.

My suggestion would be to seriously seek out any and all recent comments from people in that county who have applied for their CHLs. There's nothing like "ground truth" when it comes to knowing how the wind's blowing. Check Calguns.net, for some good info about the various counties.

As for the situations that are most "risky" or important to you (kids to protect, frequently out in the wilds, traveling distances with much cash), it seems to me the cash-carrying is about the only irrefutable reason, though it'll depend on the sheriff in question. Also, uncertain what your company feels about being armed in their vehicles on their business. Something to think about, if they're going to take ill to any such knowledge of your doing so, above and beyond the legality of doing so. (Though, it'll be up to you whether to decide to carry in spite of any reticence by your company on employees carrying. To my way of thinking, your life is your concern, in every way that's meaningful. It's your life on the line, when out and about, not theirs. )

Get to know your sheriff's opinions/proclivities well, beforehand. Find as many prior-CHL folks who have recently acquired/renewed their CHL's as you can, beforehand.

Good luck with the application.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Hello! Welcome from Southeas Kansas!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Tell them you fear the government is going to take your guns away and need a way to protect yourself from them as the 2A allows.
    Sarcastic smartassism in response to the member's first post. Classy.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links