Another Florida newbie

This is a discussion on Another Florida newbie within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey all, Ricky here. When I say "newbie," I mean it. I did grow up in the South, so I spent much of my childhood ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Florida newbie

Another Florida newbie

Hey all,

Ricky here. When I say "newbie," I mean it. I did grow up in the South, so I spent much of my childhood roaming the woods and the neighborhood with BB guns, and hunted squirrel and deer with my dad as a kid. But aside from the rifles, shotguns, and bb guns involved in those activities, I haven't been "around guns" much. I have, over the past few years, gotten very interested a couple of times, but the mental block of the responsibility of it all, how to deal with approaching the subject with my wife, home safety with 2 kids, has all been just too much for me to process, and I've dropped it. About a month ago, I decided it was time to put in the effort. Find the answers, seek advice, talk to the wife, shoot some guns, and really find out where I am with all this. This forum has been a great resource for that, as have some close friends I have who own and work in gun stores locally, and some others who are CWP holders and own lots of guns I can shoot. Everyone has been very supportive and I've learned A LOT. I've also read probably every word on cornered cat (as I was trying to figure out how to approach it with my wife), read the FL Concealed law book (the green one, by Gutmacher, for you FL guys) cover to cover, and have started on the Ayoob book.

As it turns out, it was a complete non-issue with my wife. I somehow didn't take into account the fact that her dad was an M.P. her whole life, and was strapped every time he came home. Guns in the house and on people's person is even more normal to her than it is to me, and she was apparently fairly anxious to take a class and learn how to shoot. (She had always seen it as an important life skill she intended to pick up.)

In the meantime, while I've been reading and spending entirely too much time at Shoot Straight looking at guns, I've done some shooting of various sizes and calibers, and had settled into REALLY wanting an M&P Shield 9mm (yeah...take a number, right?). Well, the great news is, I was able to buy one this morning! I pick it up Friday. My wife and I have our CCW class Monday night.

Thanks for reading.

Ricky
    DesignDawg

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum from SE Florida
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from Southwest Florida
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks everybody. BTW, I didn't mention: Tampa Bay area. :)

Welcome from the SE corner of Michigan.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin, Ricky!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome from Alabama.

And nice score on the M&P....I hear they are a rare find these days.

Welcome from Northern Michigan!

Your attitude sounds great. You're obviously a responsible guy, so odds are you're going to do well. Just keep taking all the safety advice as seriously as you do now and you'll be fine.

And congrats on your spouse's great attitude and count your lucky stars. Some folks have much more of an uphill battle on that as we have recent proof on this forum.

Best wishes!

Gav

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Fla
    Howdy and welcome.
    gunshinestate.jpg
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome aboard from Tennessee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links