Newb from the Northwest - Page 3

Newb from the Northwest

This is a discussion on Newb from the Northwest within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome to the forum!!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Newb from the Northwest

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome to Defensive Carry from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Welcome from Snohomish County, WA!
    Congratulations!

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. Glad to hear you finally saw the light! Wish more would wake up to the facts!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    I am curious, how do you think we use your experience to help persuade others who have not yet 'seen the light'? Is there something someone could have said or done to convince you sooner?

Welcome from GA!
    That is something that I have actually been pondering a lot lately. I think it comes down to gun owners and anti-gun owners may share the same physical space, but live in two different worlds. Obviously I can't speak for all anti-gun people, but in a lot of cases I think there is an attitude of superiority and maybe a bit too much faith in humanity.
    I believe a lot of non-gun owners automatically assume that if your own a gun, by your very nature your violent. I know I had the attitude, “I don’t need a gun to solve my problems” thus making me better than you for needing a gun to resolve yours. Add in someone on a talk show screaming and yelling about second amendment rights and that just solidifies that view point. Nobody actually listens to what the “gun rights” people have to say, they just see them screaming and yelling and tune it out.
    I don’t generally share the fact that I own and can legally carry a firearm with too many people. However, I need a reference for my license and I like to ask people before I use them. When I had a conversation with one of them I got the response “Gee I always thought you were non-violent”, which I am. However, just because I was applying for a license to conceal carry, I am all of a sudden a violent person. I think the average person, I know I did, has a belief that we have evolved as a society to the point where we don’t need to keep guns, i.e. guns = violence and we are better than that now even with all the recent incidents. Those all happened somewhere else in some far off land and could never happen where I live.
    With all these recent unfortunate events rather than having the focus shift to the second amendment and gun rights, which it has, there is/was an opportunity to explain maybe not what firearms are all about, but what conceal carry is all about. Virtually everyone has been in a shopping mall, or a movie theater, and probably with their families. To put it in simple terms, do you want to be hiding in a corner praying some crazy jack ass doesn’t shoot you or your family? Hoping and praying that someone with a gun, LEO or anyone for that matter shows up and saves your family, or do you want a fighting chance. That’s really what it boils down to, that’s reality not paranoia. All the talk about statics and the number of murders in gun control states vs. non gun control states, and gun free zones at the end of the day has very little impact on the average person.
    When I was able to put it in those terms it was enough for me to at least investigate CC. Sorry for the length but obviously I have been pondering this quite a bit.
    First Sgt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    Welcome from up north!

You are correct. Police will only intervene AFTER someone has called them (unless you are incredibly lucky and they are there already). By the time someone has had a chance to call them it's too late most of the time. YOU are responsible for the defense your loves ones before anyone else.

You are definitely money ahead with the martial arts training, but it's good to have all possible weapons at your disposal so you have the least chance of giving the attacker an advantage. If possible, you never even want to give an attacker the chance to be equal, much less letting them have an advantage. Always tip the odds in your own favor if you can.
    Completely agreed!!!

Welcome from South Carolina...

Good luck on your journey and be safe!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baruffic View Post
    That is something that I have actually been pondering a lot lately. I think it comes down to gun owners and anti-gun owners may share the same physical space, but live in two different worlds. Obviously I can't speak for all anti-gun people, but in a lot of cases I think there is an attitude of superiority and maybe a bit too much faith in humanity.
    I believe a lot of non-gun owners automatically assume that if your own a gun, by your very nature your violent. I know I had the attitude, “I don’t need a gun to solve my problems” thus making me better than you for needing a gun to resolve yours. Add in someone on a talk show screaming and yelling about second amendment rights and that just solidifies that view point. Nobody actually listens to what the “gun rights” people have to say, they just see them screaming and yelling and tune it out.
    I don’t generally share the fact that I own and can legally carry a firearm with too many people. However, I need a reference for my license and I like to ask people before I use them. When I had a conversation with one of them I got the response “Gee I always thought you were non-violent”, which I am. However, just because I was applying for a license to conceal carry, I am all of a sudden a violent person. I think the average person, I know I did, has a belief that we have evolved as a society to the point where we don’t need to keep guns, i.e. guns = violence and we are better than that now even with all the recent incidents. Those all happened somewhere else in some far off land and could never happen where I live.
    With all these recent unfortunate events rather than having the focus shift to the second amendment and gun rights, which it has, there is/was an opportunity to explain maybe not what firearms are all about, but what conceal carry is all about. Virtually everyone has been in a shopping mall, or a movie theater, and probably with their families. To put it in simple terms, do you want to be hiding in a corner praying some crazy jack ass doesn’t shoot you or your family? Hoping and praying that someone with a gun, LEO or anyone for that matter shows up and saves your family, or do you want a fighting chance. That’s really what it boils down to, that’s reality not paranoia. All the talk about statics and the number of murders in gun control states vs. non gun control states, and gun free zones at the end of the day has very little impact on the average person.
    When I was able to put it in those terms it was enough for me to at least investigate CC. Sorry for the length but obviously I have been pondering this quite a bit.
    Thank you for sharing your story. It is definitely something to think about.

Hello, Baruffic, and welcome from Missouri to a great forum. Good people and info here! Glad to have you on board.

Since you are new to this handgun, self defense arena, it is reallyt great that you are taking some good self defense classes. I recommend you check out the many free YouTube videos made by Massad Ayoob, a world-class instructor in handgun use and self defense, who has recorded training sessions in Judicious Use of Force, Shoot to Live, Home Invasion, Preparation for Home Defense, and What to Do After a Shooting. Just Google his name and these topics and the YouTubes should show up. Very good instructional information from an expert, and free.

Here is a very good technical review of self defense ammo, when you want to consider this:
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

This is an informative review by a doctor of different gunshot wounds effects; we all need to be aware of this real-life information:
    Doctor Talks About Gunshot Wounds

Take care, and best wishes to you and yours!

Welcome from Mesa, Arizona via Afghanistan

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Welcome and its time to use your right, start carrying

Welcome from Arizona.

Welcome from Houston, TX.
    Glock 22, 27, Taurus TCP
    Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe
    Desantis pocket holster.

Welcome from NH

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links