In a whole new world...

This is a discussion on In a whole new world... within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome from Texas. Get the 10 rules of gun safety and learn them inside and out. You will gain a lot of knowledge here by ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: In a whole new world...

Welcome from Texas. Get the 10 rules of gun safety and learn them inside and out. You will gain a lot of knowledge here by these fine folks. You will find we are not a bunch of "Rambo" types. We are citizens that practice our right to defend ourselves. We stress safety and education more than anything. We must all be extremely educated and well trained to take the responsibility to carry firearms and defend our families. Please ask questions about anything and I am sure there is someone here that has the answer or a different persepctive than yours that will help you on your way to being a responsible gun owner.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to Defensive Carry The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wifey2Mike2010 View Post
    My goal is to become informed and learn from those who know much more than myself about guns and get tons of info on how to properly train my daughters to be safe around daddy's new hobby.
    There are lots of good previous discussions in the various forums, here. Lots of folks over the years have come and gone, and many have had decades of experience doing it right. Be sure to leverage the <search> tool to seek out threads on many of the topics you'll want to explore.

And don't be afraid to ask good question of folks. Almost certainly, you'll find a number of folks who've been there and done that, folks who've blown in and learned from the mistakes, in addition to all sorts of ideas on practical steps you can take.

Suggestion -- a bit of light reading, for starters:

And check out the following training facility, down in the Onalaska/Chehalis area: Firearms Academy of Seattle.

... being on the parent side of this whole issue makes this a bit different!
    Amazing how being responsible for the safety and security of others changes perceptions. Reality is, nothing's changed. You always did have the full and complete responsibility for your own protection. When you got your own family, that merely extended to them as well. But as a citizen you have every right and the duty to be capable of withstanding threats sufficiently to survive them ... if not merely for yourself, but for your family members.

Kudos, for taking proactive steps to improve your odds of surviving such encounters.

As for general safety around the house, be sure to acquire a decent safe for the firearms (if you haven't done so already).

As for helping the kids to understand, consider demystifying the whole thing. Rule #1: gun-proof your kids. Describe the existence of good and evil, of the responsibility you all have for their safety, the idea of firearms and their role, the danger/risk of them (as with any tool) if they are misused; take them along to the range, to show them the right way to do things. The Eddie The Eagle program will be invaluable in this regard.

Welcome to DefensiveCarry. Glad to have you.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Welcome to the forum.....Congrats on trying to be informed. Ask your hubby to share his guns with you. I do not know any guys that wouldn't love to show off their guns. Its just he way we are. LOL. I raised children with guns in the house and now have grandchildren often in the house. They can be taught....
    I Love Guns!!!

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from Alabama
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

There are many people here from all walks of life that will be more than willing to help with any questions you may have and we are (most of the time) quite tolerant of questions from folks new to all this. That has been my experience since I also fairly recently joined. There's a ton of information about home firearms safety and handling, and lots of discussion of firearms and children. You will likely have to wade through some of the sarcasm at times, and you will probably laugh out loud at times, and you will frequently walk away from the computer with lots to think about. It's a safe place to get your feet under you, and a great community in general.

Welcome from another local!

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

New Member Array Wifey2Mike2010's Avatar
    Wow, The amont of information is amazing!!
    As for our one gun it is boxed in the tip top of my closet and all the clips and bullets are elsewhere until we can get back out to town and pick up a safe, thinking back on yesterday I should have made him pick one up along with the gun. (live and learn)
    My daughter, Jo has no idea we own it yet because I wasnt sure of how to explain it. Her step-dad being military we have watched him come and go armed and unarmed so she has seen and been around guns but only while he was on duty. I've been reading and wacthing quite a bit and I'm not sure I want to let her know that we own a gun until I know that I can properly lock it up (although she rarely is unwatched and is never in my room, I'm still a frady cat) I'd rather be extra safe then horribly sorry.
    The hubs spent a good deal of last night rescearching safes and holsters so that he can safely own his pistol and begin to collect a rifle or two. And I've now got him looking into a .22 to begin teaching me to feel safe with a handgun so that we as parents can both train Jo.
    The way he explains it is that we must follow the proper order of it all. Safety first, then we learn to clean and store the gun, then shooting, and then I must have a concealed license! Once I've got all that down pat and I feel comfortable in shooting different guns. Then I can begin to have fun with going to the range to play with and purchase new toys. I don't ever think it will happen but he seems to be right more often then I'd like to admit! So someday I might actually have a gun of my own. Until then however he wants me shooting his and knowing what I'm doing!!
    Would a bb gun be better to begin teaching a 5yo to shoot though?

Welcome to Defensive Carry from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Welcome from the Volunteer State. Lots of good advice has been given already stick around and read a lot.

Welcome from the Arizona desert!

I really can't add a thing to the many helpful suggestions already offered, but I do compliment you for having an open mind and actively working to understand your husband's point of view. Too many spouses draw lines in the sand about guns and the word "never" gets used all too often. You've got a good attitude and your man sounds like he's got the right approach to getting you up to speed with guns, shooting and defense.

There's a lot of info here and we really don't beat up newbies who show a sincere desire to learn. Don't be bashful about asking questions; the only really dumb ones are the ones left unasked.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Welcome, I have a grandson we watch occasionaly an I have a biometric safe that is about the size of a large book sits on nightstand can only be opened by my wife or I with our finger print works really well keeps everyone safe. One thing I have learned about teaching kids about guns is that you have to. Even if your safe they may go to a friends house an see one if they know to get a adult as soon as they see one you will feel much better. Take them to an outdoor range not as intimidating. Just the noise will keep them from touching a gun. Until thy are old enough to learn to shoot. My 4 sons an I had an still have a blast going to the range.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd recommend setting aside some quality time and working your through the long list of excellent articles here: Contents | Cornered Cat You'll see that they're geared towards women who are new gun owners and who may have children.

Here's another good resource I haven't seen mentioned: The Well Armed Woman

Enjoy!
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

In a whole new world...

Welcome to the forum.

Lots of good suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links