In a whole new world...

This is a discussion on In a whole new world... within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome! When the guns are not within arms reach- unloaded and locked. Even if you're not personally interested in shooting them yourself, learn to unload ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: In a whole new world...

Welcome!

When the guns are not within arms reach- unloaded and locked. Even if you're not personally interested in shooting them yourself, learn to unload them. The first thing you should learn about any new weapon is how to unload and decock it, before you even load it.

At 5 you probably have a few years before anyone is going to take the girls shooting!

2. Remove Ads

Welcome from Ky. Learn all there is to know about your firearm an what it takes to be able to defend you family if forced to use it.
    I guess im going to be the lone voice here on one aspect though. I raised three children. Ive never owned a gun safe. And no child I had would touch a firearm unless I was there or they were hunting with one. They knew about them I taught them at an early age what a firearm can do and did not make a big mystery about it for them.
    To my kids they were just something to hunt with or shoot cans etc. Nothing magical and nothing they even thought about being here anymore than they did the coffee table.

For HD on your hip as you are doing is where it belongs, all day. And while they are great for keeping firearms from being stolen if you have seconds to get your firearm at night and it takes you a minute to actually get it you may as well not own it. Safes are for guns that may not be needed at a moments notice.
    A small shelf mounted above your side of the bed so that you can stand by the bed and reach it is a safe place for a handgun at night. Unless you are dead you wont sleep thru a small child standing on your chest and face trying to reach that shelf.
    Oh and on a side note im not so sure about calling it "daddys tool". It might raise an eyebrow or two should your little one proudly tell someone that she leaves daddys tool alone because it can hurt her. . Just a thought
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    ...Oh and on a side note im not so sure about calling it "daddys tool". It might raise an eyebrow or two should your little one proudly tell someone that she leaves daddys tool alone because it can hurt her. . Just a thought
    I knew someone was going to say that. It's better than saying daddy's thingy.

Call it mommy's tool or call it mommy and daddy's tool.

Or place it next to a knife, a saw, a hammer and a cordless drill and tell her she is not to touch these tools but be prepared with a response when she points to the gun and asks, "What's that one called?"...That's a cordless lead accelerator, would you like some ice-cream?
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome to the forum. I have 3 girls ages 5,9, and 11 so I know exactly how you feel wanting to keep the kids safe around your firearms. Just remember the 4 rules and adhere to them religiously.4 Laws of Gun Safety. I decided to be open with my daughters about my firearms. I have every confidence I could leave a gun in a room with any of my daughters and they would come and get me and not try and play with it alone. They know they can hold/touch my firearms ONLY under my supervision and it takes away the mystery so they won't be tempted to do it without me.
    Wifey2Mike2010 likes this.

Welcome to the forum from SE WI. Congrats on your open-mindedness and safety awareness.

As to your thought of when you might start having your older daughter shoot a firearm, all I can say is it's a very individual thing depending on the responsibility of the child. I took my son to the outdoor range for the first time when he was 9 y.o., started him off on a Ruger 10/22. However, the education on firearm safety started much earlier on. I pretty much drilled into his head the 4 Rules of Gun Safety before that first range visit, then went over range rules when we arrived that first time so he had a good visual.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wifey2Mike2010 View Post
    Would a bb gun be better to begin teaching a 5yo to shoot though?
    Check out Cricket Firearms (Cricket and Chipmunk rifles/pistols). These are single-shot .22LR guns that are specifically sized for younger kids, to help train them on safe handling and operation of firearms. Many find this a good place to start. Once safe handling is well understood and ingrained, then you can move up to a basic .22 rifle (ie, Ruger 10/22), simple pistols, etc.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I got my son one of these. He's afraid that Obama is going to take it away from him.

Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right
    Ghost1958 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I got my son one of these. He's afraid that Obama is going to take it away from him.

Smart kid
    Wifey2Mike2010 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

MJK
    Welcome from St. Louis! I admire your approach to entering this endlessly fascinating world of firearm ownership and your willinness to learn about self defense. Your family will be much safer and you will make many new friends along the way!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Welcome from Georgia.
    The NRA has a program called the Eddie Eagle program to teach children about not touching guns. See if the NRA has a program in your area. It would ease your mind a lot. Go to this link for more information. Eddie Eagle GunSafe|Why Teach the Eddie Eagle Program?

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post

There's an idea...

Give your young children a gun and teach them everything and let them enjoy it for a while...Then when they are sleeping, take the gun away. When they wake up, tell them the government took their gun Rights away and they can't have it back. After a little while has passed, give your child a new gun and tell them that we had to fight really hard but we were able to get our gun Rights back so never let your government take your gun Rights away again.
    Last edited by 1MoreGoodGuy; February 13th, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Wifey2Mike2010 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Kids can learn firearms very early in life. My late son took his first buck at age 6 with a 243 deer rifle at 350 yards, my daughter didnt relish killing Bambi but loved to make life hard on rabbits and squirells around the same age. My oldest son was a deer and turkey hunter on his own by about age 11. But they had been raised with guns in the house of all sorts from handguns to shotguns and when very young had no interest in them any more than a piece of furniture. Just as I was raised and had the same attitude toward them.

Now I didnt leave them loaded or where they could get anything to load them with when they were very young. But I did leave the guns themselves in a gun cabinet in the open. Like anything else the quickest way to get a child very interested in messing with anything is to make a huge mystery of what it is.
    ccw9mm and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Re: In a whole new world...

Welcome to here from there.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Welcome from Michigan. This is a very good source of infromation. Good for you for wanting to be informed. Your 5 year old is not to young to start learning gun safety, I started both of my kids at that young age and my son is teaching my 5 yearold granddaughter gun safety and gun handling with a BB gun already. Stay safe and have fun shooting with your husband.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links