In a whole new world...

This is a discussion on In a whole new world... within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi all, I'm currently a 23yo mother of two girls (5yo, 3mo). My husband recently got his concealed license and ran out and bought a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: In a whole new world...

New Member Array Wifey2Mike2010's Avatar

In a whole new world...

Hi all, I'm currently a 23yo mother of two girls (5yo, 3mo). My husband recently got his concealed license and ran out and bought a hand gun, and so here I am. I was for years dead set and completely against EVER owning a gun, or even allowing one to be in my home. Well as you can see my hubby is dead set on owning and carrying his pistol. So here I am......
    My goal is to become informed and learn from those who know much more than myself about guns and get tons of info on how to properly train my daughters to be safe around daddy's new hobby.
    I was taught to shoot a .22 and BB rifles as a child but being on the parent side of this whole issue makes this a bit different!!
    Glad to be here!
    G26Raven likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Wifey2Mike2010 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Welcome, hope you like it here.

Just by joining this forum you've taken a very important step in gaining the knowledge that will make you more comfortable with your husbands new CC. I'd admit its very impressive for a young family to take responsibility of its own well being. I believe that a lot of the fear people have of guns is largely due to the lack of understanding of how they work (also the hype brought forth in the media). Shooting makes for a great date activity, I'm sure your husband is thrilled that you're showing an interest. Anyways, welcome from Alaska!

You'll have to get the kids 22s to learn on someday. Start with safety training and then take them shooting when they are ready. You could practice with 22s now so you are ready to teach them when the time comes.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

New Member Array Wifey2Mike2010's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    Just by joining this forum you've taken a very important step in gaining the knowledge that will make you more comfortable with your husbands new CC. I'd admit its very impressive for a young family to take responsibility of its own well being. I believe that a lot of the fear people have of guns is largely due to the lack of understanding of how they work (also the hype brought forth in the media). Shooting makes for a great date activity, I'm sure your husband is thrilled that you're showing an interest. Anyways, welcome from Alaska!
    Im much younger than the hubs!! He is a ripe old 37, lol and he is very well trained, been active duty navy for 12y even toured afghan, so he knows quite well how to handle a gun. My fears come from me being such a newbie and having two little ones around the house. So far our one gun is hidden and my 5yo doesnt even know that it exits.... I'm still in the process of figuring out how to explain the seriousness to her! And frankly I'm still not comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    You'll have to get the kids 22s to learn on someday. Start with safety training and then take them shooting when they are ready. You could practice with 22s now so you are ready to teach them when the time comes.
    He has been looking at a .22 pistol (in pink) for me as well as getting us to a range so that he can show me the ropes and get me comfortable before introducing any gun to my/our kids!

thanks to all for the warm welcome, I can already see this being a great investment of time!

Hello! Welcome from Southeast Kansas!

Hope we can help make you comfortable with this...

Welcome from Delaware! Kids will find most everything, lock it up when not being worn.
    TVJ, joker1, gasmitty and 1 others like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome to the forum.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin! Being a parent adds a whole new dimension to having a gun in the house. Now you have just that much more to keep safe at all times.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you have an open mind and are willing to educate yourself, instead of just letting fear and lack of knowledge shut you off, a BIG congrats on that one.

This place is great for learning, picking up ALL KINDS of info and knowledge on many subjects and meeting some really great people.

Safety is always the most important thing, learn and ALWAYS follow the four rules of firearm safety . . .

. . . and then when you find yourself shooting a pistol/rifle, or drooling over one in your hands, and getting crazy excited to go to the range - just remember, YES, with safety always first and foremost, guns can be really cool and tons of fun!!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

For many years I was against having a gun in the home so we didn't, my husband didn't have strong feelings either way about having one or not. I'd never been around them and was also scared of the whole kids and safety factor. A couple years ago someone tried to break in while I was home alone with the kids and my mindset changed forever. If I ever need to I will be ready to protect my family. I bought a gun, learned how to use it well and got my carry license. What suprised me most, wasn't that I did a complete turn around and got a gun, it was how much I enjoyed shooting it at the range!!! I've actually turned into an enthusiast, and my husband is just a casual owner.

I'm sure you know, with kids, you can never let your guard down. My gun is only EVER in two places - in a good holster on my hip (I can run and chase the kids in the yard and it doesn't budge) or in the safe. I never ever ever set it down anywhere. If the kids want to see it, all they have to do is ask - I want the whole mystery taken away from it. I preach the safety rules, the older ones are allowed to shoot it with my direct and constant supervision. The NRA has an Eddie Eagle video that's pretty good for young kids.

If you get a chance look for Lima's videos on YouTube - they are excellent. It's Limalife or LimaTunes - she's on Facebook too.

Welcome to the forum! I hope we can help you feel more comfortable. Glad you're here!!
    revldm, BurgerBoy and JDE101 like this.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

Just a couple of suggestions to start with. For yourself, sign up for a NRA basic handgun course. For you children, get the NRA Eddie Eagle Program. It's geared to young children and focuses on gun safety in a way they will understand and learn from.

Added thought: DO NOT rely on hiding the gun to keep the children safe, as you probably already know, children are notorious for being able to find anything they're not suppose to. Get a gun safe to keep it locked in when not being carried. It doesn't have to be a large floor model safe, something small that can be attached to a closet shelf of in a nightstand drawer will work.

Below are just a couple to give you an idea. A google search for handgun safes will give you maqny others to look at.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes/minivault.html/

http://www.deansafe.com/ftk-pb.html
    FNG likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links