New young member from florida!

This is a discussion on New young member from florida! within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey everyone. I have made a few posts here so far but never introduced myself. I am a 20 year old from Florida who is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New young member from florida!

Hey everyone.

I have made a few posts here so far but never introduced myself. I am a 20 year old from Florida who is illiterate in the gun and self defense world aside from my research on the internet and experience with BB/paintball guns and archery. I grew up and still live in a home with no firearms.

Having grown up in a fairly anti-gun home I have definitely made a complete 180 in terms of my viewpoint on firearms and self defense. Until I started watching Hickock45 on youtube a few months ago I considered people who associated with guns to be crazy. Having never seen a gun, or being exposed to them in my lifetime it is no wonder that I had this skewed viewpoint toward gun owners. All you hear on the news and media is that guns are bad and people are being killed. Like many other people who have never handled guns I made the simple conclusion that people with guns were evil. It's almost disturbing to think that is how I, and many other of my peers, have viewed gun ownership. After watching hundreds of Hickock45 videos about a year ago I realized how normal and humane he was. I had no idea someone could be holding deadly weapons and literally be just like anyone else I knew and not some hot-headed crazy person.

Just like any other thing your taught, if you are told repeatedly that guns are bad by your peers, your family, and the media it becomes ingrained in your mind. Only until you do your own research and make your own decisions can you form your opinion on what is right and wrong. I have decided to get involved with firearms for self defense purposes. I am not going to allow someone to come in my home, or threaten my family without doing everything I can to protect them.

Around this time I also heard story from a family member regarding a couple he was good friends with. The husband and wife were held at gunpoint by two home invaders and the wife was raped by the two men while the husband was forced to watch. Fortunately, their lives were spared but I cannot imagine the emotional trauma of having this happen and sitting there defenseless begging for their lives. This was another factor that influenced my state of mind regarding firearms. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that your only defense against criminals with guns is your own gun.

I will be shooting and handling handguns for the first time in my life next month. I am really looking forward to it and plan on practicing consistently for the next 8 months until I turn 21 and can purchase my own firearm. It will be nice to have a means of protecting myself and my family not only in the confines of our home but also in public.

Take care everyone!
    Last edited by bm303; February 23rd, 2013 at 04:03 AM.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Welcome aboard, mate.

There are indeed millions of people "associated with guns" who are extremely level-headed, upstanding. Many of them are here, on DefensiveCarry. Many millions more are in our own communities, staying under the radar. Any group as a few "nuts," sure. Including the gun-grabbers, anti-gunners, congressmen, felons, or whatever group you're speaking of. (Perhaps even particularly true of the gun-grabbing, anti-gunner felon congressman group, but that's another discussion entirely.)

Glad to see you're opening your eyes. Find great folks in your area and region who can get you involved, introduced, trained. There is a lot to learn. Definitely seek out quality and varied training in firearms, defensive skills/tactics, force-on-force situations (which you're already doing some of, with your airsoft/paintball).

Be sure to check the archives, as there are many great prior discussions that go back to ~2005 or so.

Welcome!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hello! Welcome from Southeast Kansas!

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin! We'll take 2nd Amendment backers one person at a time. Welcome to the real world. A world where our government wants to enact laws that will make firearms illegal for law abiding citizens but does little to stop those who pay no attention to the law.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Welcome from Memphis.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Welcome from Virginia. You are wise to look for help with learning about firearms and their legal, ethical responsible use. I suggest a NRA basic pistol course is a good place to start. If you need help finding one in your area ,I and many others would be glad to help you find it. You will learn about all the action types and the fundamentals of shooting, and a good dose of firearms safety. Being a responsible gun owner is a life long commitment to education and training and you sound like you are eager to start that journey.Good luck, be safe, be a good ambassador in the firearms community.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Re: New young member from florida!

As another young floridian (25) welcome. Its awesome that you are taking this step to ensure you are prepaired in the best way possible to protect yourself and your family. Again seek training and knowledge, and I have found the people on this forum to be a great resource. I'm sure I can say for the majority if not all of these members if you have a question ask away!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoy the forum....................
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from the Great Lake State!
    Great intro...and great to have you aboard!
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome from Mesa, Arizona via Afghanistan

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome from Delaware! BOY, AM I HAPPY YOU LATCHED ON TO HICKOCK45 INSTEAD OF GECKO45!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links