New from N.E. Oklahoma

This is a discussion on New from N.E. Oklahoma within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; If you had told me 6 months ago I would be registering on a handgun forum I would have told you that you were crazy. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New from N.E. Oklahoma

New from N.E. Oklahoma

If you had told me 6 months ago I would be registering on a handgun forum I would have told you that you were crazy. Things change and here I am. I had nothing against guns, when I was younger I hunted rabbits from the hood of the car. Shot a few squirrels, a quail or two. Never had a handgun, never felt the need for one. As Skynyrd would say they are only good for puttin a man 6 feet in a hole. My neighbor awoke one morning early and their was a strange man going through her jewelry box. She had noticed a few things missing from her car but thought nothing about it, just to lock the car. A week later another widow women was burgled while sleeping just a 1/2 block from the house. I had two small pistols, they were my parents boot guns as they had been local city police auxiliary a 22 LR and a 25 caliber. I did not want to make someone mad, I wanted to make sure they were stopped where they stood if someone would come in (break in) to my house while I was sleeping they were up to no good. I talked to a friend who had a pawn shop and traded my two pistols for something a little bit larger. He brought me a SCCY CPX 1. I loaded the magazine with some difficulty and started sleeping with it on the night table by the bed. I have a large dog who would be instantly awake if someone tried to break in and I figured I could put one in the chamber, grab the flashlight and meet the person at the door. I am sure glad I never had to do this. (Six months have passed) My son who lives in a much more populated area had just bought a Walther PPQ for home defense asked me to go with him to try out our guns. I had never shot a pistol so I grabbed a box of shells, my SCCY, a large piece of poster board with targets drawn on by magic marker and off to a range we went. I had fired shotguns before so I did not take hearing protection, I would not need it or at least that is what I thought, a little shell like a pistol how loud could that be. I now shoot with ear plugs and muffs both, and hope my hearing will improve. Anyway I could not hit the broad side of a barn, out of a 10 round magazine I might have 2 within a 6 in circle and I know some did not hit the poster-board at all from about 45 feet. Remember I had never shot a pistol before but was pretty good with a 22 LR. The week after the first trip to the range I had signed up for the Oklahoma SDA (self-defense act) license which is CCW and or Open carry. I have completed the paperwork and am not awaiting the background checks which are done by the local county sheriffs office then sent to OSBI the state bureau of investigation. Last month (January 2013) they had over 5000 applications and the backlog from filing the paperwork to the actual granting of the license is between 90 and 120 days. I should hear something by May. By the way I have already purchased my second handgun a full size Beretta PX4 Storm which I used at my SDA class so not sure what I will carry. Anyway thanks to all the folks here who have increased my knowledge. I wont post a whole lot but I will read almost all.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome aboard from NC.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Good intro and good for you for making the decision to be armed. Welcome from Utah.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Welcome from Tennessee.
    Good choice.

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Welcome from the Great Lake State!
    Good to have you aboard.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Good to see another Okie on here.
    Welcome, from SE OKC.
    TailRunner likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Welcome from Virginia
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from Iowa.

Welcome from Mesa, Arizona via Afghanistan

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us!

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Lenonthelake, welcome to the club! The SCCY is a good pistol for the money, but your choice in the Beretta is even better. I have two CC permits and carry a Beretta BU-9 Nano as my EDC. I had a SCCY generation two for about a year, and it never failed me at the range. I used to pocket carry that gun in a BLACKHAWK! #4 pocket holster...now I carry the Beretta in it.

Practice as much as time and money allow, I do, because carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility. We are responsible for each and every round we touch off, no matter where it lands. Concentrate on your front sight the most, and a constant and steady trigger squeeze, that will keep you on target. Load up with a good quality personal protection load (I use one of three: Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dot in the 124 grain persuasion, or at times the Remington Golden Sabers), and carry with confidence.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Welcome to Defensive Carry from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links