Hello from West Texas....

This is a discussion on Hello from West Texas.... within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Brand new member here. I am an elementary principal in a fairly small town in West Texas (west of Lubbock). My wife and I took ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hello from West Texas....

Hello from West Texas....

Brand new member here. I am an elementary principal in a fairly small town in West Texas (west of Lubbock). My wife and I took our concealed carry class in January and are awaiting the arrival of our licenses. I have purchased a Ruger LC9 that I will use as my carry weapon as soon as my license is here. I grew up on a farm in the West Texas area and have hunted and shot targets all of my life. I am looking forward to reading and learning more about concealed carry on this forum.

An interesting aside note; I am currently serving on a committee that has been formed in our local school district that is discussing the possibility of arming certain personnel in our district on campuses. I would say that most folks around here are not opposed to doing that if done responsibly and with a lot of training coordinated with local law enforcement. I can tell you that as the principal on my campus, I am very interested in this topic and hope that our district approves this eventually. I think that the deterrent factor alone of having anonymous personnel carrying on campus would keep mass murderers away (as well as bad guys in general). I know that if I heard gunfire in my building, I would NOT crawl under my desk and hope the problem went away. I would do everything in my power to stop the assailant. It would be tough having to take my pocket knife to a gun fight though. Anyway, hopefully everything will go well and I will be able to provide another layer of protection for the students and staff under my care.

I look forward to posting and reading with you all (y'all around here) in the days to come! And, I wish you well from the great state of Texas!
    64zebra likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Your position may allow you to make a very positive impact in your community and perhaps provide an example that other communities could use. It is currently illegal to carry in any school in GA, but that is a rule that a lot of us would like to see changed. Please keep let us know how it works out.

Welcome from GA!

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Welcome from Memphis. I lived in El Paso, TX for 6 years (3 in the Army).
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Welcome from Southwest Florida.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Welcome from NH

Lead Moderator
    Hello and welcome!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the DC forum from NC.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I do hope that you will be able to CC in your building...41 years in ED here, retired (twice...form MI in '99, and out of FL last June)...now I carry 24/7.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee. My family home when I joined the Navy was in Littlefield.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

retsupt99 - First off, thank you for your service to education. 41 years is very impressive! Doubt I'll hang in there that long. Thanks for your support on the CC issue in my school district. I am encouraged by the fact that our board is very supportive of the issue. Several districts in Texas already have CC and I know many are seriously looking at the issue currently. I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I truly believe that I'll be carrying at work by the start of the next school year at the latest. I know that will give me much peace of mind. I take very seriously the protection and safety of the students and staff I have the pleasure of working with each day.

Also, I have to say that I'm a little envious of you being retired in Fl. I love that state! It is very beautiful and I really love being around water.

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

Unfortunately possessing a firearm on school property in WI is illegal. That makes it illegal in our church, too as the school is attached to the church. I think it's great idea to have armed & trained people protecting the little ones.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Welcome from Colorado....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links