Coast guard boardings and guns

This is a discussion on Coast guard boardings and guns within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I was reading about the man who was boarded by coast guard in florida and wanted to comment . I had to figure out how ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Coast guard boardings and guns

I was reading about the man who was boarded by coast guard in florida and wanted to comment . I had to figure out how to register first .now I don't know how to find the site again

VIP Member
    Good luck and howdy from Ohio. Stay around and enjoy the learning and conversations.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Welcome from Southwest Florida.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Welcome to the forum!

Try this, but it's 3 years old

Got boarded by the Coast Guard today.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks high pockets.thats the one I was looking for. Im a commercial fisherman whos been boarded by coast guard many times.i catch live bait for a living usually within 10 miles of my business . I work the inside waters of texas and never go out in the gulf of mexico. They always identify themselves as they are coming aboard. That's not my complaint. What I am trying to learn without success is if they have a right to take my weapons fo no reason. They always ask if theres any weapons on board and I always tell them the truth. Then they unload them and give the bullets to one team member and the guns to another team member then they stand on opposite sides of my boat while another one does safety inspection.what I want to know is do I have to hand over my guns to them. They say its for their safety .im not worried about their safety because there are usually 6 or more all with shotguns and sidearms. They saw its a vessel safety inspection .they pass my business 4 or 5 times a day and could check my boat at the dock any time they wanted to but always wait until I'm out working where every thing has to be done fast to keep my bait alive. Every time I tell myself I'm not going to give up my weapons but then I look at all of them standing there with shotguns.

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Baitboy View Post
    Thanks high pockets.thats the one I was looking for. Im a commercial fisherman whos been boarded by coast guard many times.i catch live bait for a living usually within 10 miles of my business . I work the inside waters of texas and never go out in the gulf of mexico. They always identify themselves as they are coming aboard. That's not my complaint. What I am trying to learn without success is if they have a right to take my weapons fo no reason. They always ask if theres any weapons on board and I always tell them the truth. Then they unload them and give the bullets to one team member and the guns to another team member then they stand on opposite sides of my boat while another one does safety inspection.what I want to know is do I have to hand over my guns to them. They say its for their safety .im not worried about their safety because there are usually 6 or more all with shotguns and sidearms. They saw its a vessel safety inspection .they pass my business 4 or 5 times a day and could check my boat at the dock any time they wanted to but always wait until I'm out working where every thing has to be done fast to keep my bait alive. Every time I tell myself I'm not going to give up my weapons but then I look at all of them standing there with shotguns.
    I believe you need an attorney, one who is well versed in maritime law. I am not an attorney, but I expect you fall across many jurisdictions. If you are in the intracoastal waterway, I expect you fall under Federal jurisdiction, while you are tied to the dock, however, you probably fall under state and local jurisdictions. For these reasons, and probably many others, I encourage you to contact an attorney.
    1MoreGoodGuy and troutkiller like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Yes, they have the right to temporarily take your weapons 'for their safety and yours'. It's no different from a LEO disarming you and taking the ammo out of your firearm and placing all in your trunk.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to Defensive Carry The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

Welcome from Wisconsin. ....
    If you can read this thank a teacher .... If its in English thank a veteran. ..
    NRA member. ..

GH
    Another welcome from Wisconsin!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    They have the right because they have the might. Unfortionately this is what it boils down to.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links