A Big Hello from KY!

A Big Hello from KY!

This is a discussion on A Big Hello from KY! within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Just wanted to chime in and say hi to everyone. I live in Western KY and am new to the forums. I've been reading mostly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Big Hello from KY!

A Big Hello from KY!

Just wanted to chime in and say hi to everyone. I live in Western KY and am new to the forums. I've been reading mostly but thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself.

Currently I dont have my CCW yet but that will be finished up in a few weeks. For now I just keep a couple firearms in the house for personal protection in the event someone tries to barge in with bad intentions. I decided to get my CCW a few months ago but they only offer the classes a few times a year around here so I had to wait.

Anyway I currently have a couple small handguns, Ruger, Colt, and have ordered a Springfield XD45ACP. I'm looking forward to that one as I dont really care for the others but they will take care of business if needed.

One reason is that I spend alot of nights working on site as I'm currently self employed doing networking services for local businesses and alot of times it's better to do my stuff after hours. And with the local law enforcement more in charge of giving traffic tickets than responding in any expedient manner to real crime I'll feel better knowing that if things get sticky I can deal with the situation myself instead of hoping someone else makes it to the scene in time.

Another reason, and as a new guy I'm not trying to make any LEO's mad but I'm just not impressed with the "Protect and Serve" level of service I've been getting lately.

I've had my vehicle broken into three times in the past two years and my house once, every time I've called the Police and when they finally arrive they've acted like I'm waisting there valuable time when they could be out catching evil dooers who dont have the little stickers on thier license plates or thier Insurance cards with them, the last time that my car was broken into along with three of my neighbors cars the cops didn't even bother getting out of thier vehicles and one of them commented, "Yeah we've had alot of problems with break-ins lately "

The BG that did that chose a night when it had just snowed and the only tracks in the snow were his, Me and my neighbor followed them around for the 45 Minutes it took the cops to get there and you could see where the guy had been going around looking into peoples houses and scoping stuff out and I angrily told the Police that if they got out of thier cars and followed the tracks they would lead them to the BG, but they passed on that.

Anyway I'm viewing them as a reactionary force at this point, they are there to mop up and then call it a day. Again not to make anyone mad, I'm sure there are lots of good cops out there but there not living in this town evidently.

Anyway, Breaking in cars is one thing, but when it comes to my house I feel that I'll have to make a stand at that point and take matters into my own hands. I'm not looking for trouble by any means and I'm normally a pretty easy going guy, but it seems like the crime rate around here is escalating and I refuse to hope that someone else is going to protect me, and like the saying goes "If you want something done right then you better do it yourself"

I've owned firearms all my life although the arsenal has grown and shrank from time to time, P-90's, P-89's S&W 9mm's Mini14's, AK's, you get the idea.

Also my Father passed away a few years ago and my mother lives out in the sticks by herself now, her closest neighbor is about 1000 yards away and it is a heavily wooded area and I always worry about some meth lab squad using the woods for thier little chemistry sets and then moving on to bigger crimes from there. I gave her my .38 revolver and lined her out on how to shoot it with the advice that if it ever comes to it and she has to deal with someone coming in her house to squeeze the trigger till the gun quits making noise, then let the 120lb great pyrenees in so he can feed .

I'll admit that when I worked for Marriott as a project manager building hotels I usually carried although I didn't have a CCW then either, I worked all over the eastern half of the US building hotels and they seemed to attract crackheads and crooks at all stages of construction, back then I carried my two Ruger P-90's as we had more than one rent a cop security guy get jumped and beaten down during the night guarding our construction sites so I didnt think twice about it while on the job at night. I'd rather have done a little time in jail than time in the morgue.

Anyway I'll keep you guys posted as I should have my permit here in a few weeks, thanks for all the helpful info here and I look forward to getting to know some of you.
    Last edited by srfl; November 10th, 2006 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Hard to read; no paragraphs.

Nice intro and welcome from Eastern Idaho.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Missouri.

VIP Member
    Welcome.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Welcome from Texas!!!!
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Welcome from the Republic of South Korea
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Lead Moderator
    welcome
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the intro, greetings

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum. Great intro.....
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

yeah great intro...Welcome to the forum. Good luck on getting your CCW.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from Tennessee!

Welcome -
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links