New guy introduction

This is a discussion on New guy introduction within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi guys: I'm new to the forum, so here's my introduction. I'm originally from the NW (Oregon), but I've been living/working the last six years ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy introduction

New guy introduction

Hi guys:

I'm new to the forum, so here's my introduction.

I'm originally from the NW (Oregon), but I've been living/working the last six years in Montgomery County, in SE Pennsylvania (about 20 miles NW of Philadelphia). I came to SEPA by way of the world's "garden spots", as I'm formerly a dignitary protection (firearm) instructor for the U.S. State Department, Diplomatic Security Service.

The gun culture in southern Oregon where I grew up was and remains strong, so I've been a shooter all my life. I will admit I've found a decidedly different culture and a fairly negative perspective toward firearms here in the mid-Atlantic region. However, I consider myself fortunate to have landed in PA, which (except for the City of Philadelphia) is one of the few areas of the NE that still supports and respects our 2nd Amendment rights!

After the second election of our current POTUS, and the ensuing increase in firearms sales, I started to give some thought to the number of folks buying firearms and obtaining CCWs (LTCFs) who had minimal to no training in firearm safety and deployment. Frankly, that causes me some personal and professional consternation! Please don't take me wrong, I'm an ardent supporter of our constitutional right to armed self-defense! But I also feel strongly that with that right comes the responsibility to carry safely and to gain a reasonable level of proficiency!

Then the tragedy (mass homicide) at Sandy Hook resulted in a multitude of liberal knee jerk reactions calling for restrictive firearm legislation. And, as we all know, that sent firearm sales and LTCF applications through the roof! This was the swift kick in the pants I needed.

I'm employed in a profession that requires me to work in an armed capacity, and as a result of the credibility my former federal career affords me with law enforcement, I and my subordinates have had access to the MontCo TRTC law enforcement range for the last few years. We frequently train and qualify there. Recently, I initiated discussions with the MontCo public safety training administration to see what I could do to provide law abiding gun owners here in SEPA with an increased opportunity to gain an appropriate level of firearm safety and defensive firearm training. The result is the formation of an incredibly well trained and experienced cadre of firearm instructors who will be presenting real world firearm training at the MontCo Tactical Response Training Center (TRTC) in Conshohocken as the Global Training Group.

This endeavor is still in its infancy, and I continue to assemble the myriad of pieces to this puzzle, so please have patience with me.

In any event, I look forward to becoming a contributing member of the forum, and I hope I have an opportunity to meet and get to know other forum members, whether that be in person or virtually.

Stay safe,

Tom

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum. Typically we do not active links in forum posts that are forum sponsor conflicting.

That would be because our forum sponsors support this site and so in fairness we cannot allow conflicting non-sponsors to self-promote and advertise (for free) what our sponsors pay a fee for being able to do.

For that reason I have deleted your links out of your introduction post.

Please feel free to join in and participate and share your expertise and soon you will be able to add that deleted link into your forum Signature area.

After you accumulate some more posts by commenting/participating you will automatically be given the option to include an active link to your web-site into your Signature line.

That is permissible. You may also include a complete description of your occupation and training group in your personal profile section.

That is also permissible.

Again....Welcome
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tom, it sounds like you're having a great time there, in PA. Great efforts! I hope it all works out well. Sounds like a lot of folks could benefit from the skills you're assembling.

Welcome to Defensive Carry. Glad to have you aboard.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    welcome from another PA member this is a great forum with lots of good info and nice people. happy shooting.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Welcome from South Dakota

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin, Tom! Good luck with getting your firearm/safety program off the ground. That's something I wanted to start up myself. Being retired has a tendency for me to put things off for long periods of time, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Welcome from Southwest Florida.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to Defensive Carry from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome to Defensive Carry The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Welcome from Wisconsin ...
    If you can read this thank a teacher .... If its in English thank a veteran. ..
    NRA member. ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links