NJ gun laws.............

NJ gun laws.............

This is a discussion on NJ gun laws............. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I recently received my CCW in PA. I have family and friends in NJ and travel there frequently. Most of the posts regarding bringing hand ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: NJ gun laws.............

NJ gun laws.............

I recently received my CCW in PA. I have family and friends in NJ and travel there frequently. Most of the posts regarding bringing hand guns into NJ are old and unreliable. After researching and printing from the NJSP web site; I was very surprised to find out what the real deal was.
    If you get pulled over in NJ with a hand gun in your car; it needs to be unloaded and locked in the trunk along with the ammo OR locked in a box if you have a van or other vehicle with no lockable trunk. I choose to lock my gun and ammo in a lock box AND in my locked trunk. This is assuming you DO NOT have hollow points. There are very different and very strict instructions for having hollow points in NJ. You must be on your way to or from a range if you have hollow points with little or no deviations along the route.
    I also called 5 or so different ST barracks in NJ and got basically the same answer from everyone. If you can prove your gun was purchased legally and/or have a CCW from another state; you should be fine provided the weapon is being carried according to NJ law. Keep in mind; you cannot bring your gun in your car and travel around the state. You can however; target practice and/or bring your gun onto private property for your protection.
    I took the liberty of printing the information from the web site AND retained the names of the troopers I spoke with. This information is in my in my glove box. Furthermore; NJ is a “may inform” state, that is; you do not need to inform him or her u have a weapon in the car.
    Keep in mind NJ is very hostile to gun owners. I also have a target, head gear and safety glasses in my trunk to further reinforce what my intention is with my gun(s). Obey the laws and have your paperwork handy.
    I am not giving anyone legal advice in any way, shape or form. I’m merely trying to give my interruption of the law in NJ.
    This is the link: New Jersey State Police - Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey

Welcome to the forum! , and good luck with your interpretation of NJ law. Fortunately I have no reason to go back there, so I have no specific knowledge of NJ laws.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As a life long NJ resident and NRA Firearms Instructor......DO NOT give your interpretation of any NJ gun laws.....I can almost guarantee you are incorrect.
    Even NJ police are mostly vague on the laws and if you get pulled over with a gun in the car, prepare yourself for a visit to the Graybar Hotel....at least for a while until they can check your story out.......

Best Advice I could give is..............don't bring handguns into NJ.....ever, it's just not worth it.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    welcome from another PA member. this is a great forum for lots of good info and nice people. im sure someone here has been through your situation and can help more. happy shooting.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    I recently received my CCW in PA. I have family and friends in NJ and travel there frequently. Most of the posts regarding bringing hand guns into NJ are old and unreliable. After researching and printing from the NJSP web site; I was very surprised to find out what the real deal was.
    If you get pulled over in NJ with a hand gun in your car; it needs to be unloaded and locked in the trunk along with the ammo OR locked in a box if you have a van or other vehicle with no lockable trunk. I choose to lock my gun and ammo in a lock box AND in my locked trunk. This is assuming you DO NOT have hollow points. There are very different and very strict instructions for having hollow points in NJ. You must be on your way to or from a range if you have hollow points with little or no deviations along the route.
    I also called 5 or so different ST barracks in NJ and got basically the same answer from everyone. If you can prove your gun was purchased legally and/or have a CCW from another state; you should be fine provided the weapon is being carried according to NJ law. Keep in mind; you cannot bring your gun in your car and travel around the state. You can however; target practice and/or bring your gun onto private property for your protection.
    I took the liberty of printing the information from the web site AND retained the names of the troopers I spoke with. This information is in my in my glove box. Furthermore; NJ is a “may inform” state, that is; you do not need to inform him or her u have a weapon in the car.
    Keep in mind NJ is very hostile to gun owners. I also have a target, head gear and safety glasses in my trunk to further reinforce what my intention is with my gun(s). Obey the laws and have your paperwork handy.
    I am not giving anyone legal advice in any way, shape or form. I’m merely trying to give my interruption of the law in NJ.
    This is the link: New Jersey State Police - Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey
    First off, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for posting the info about NJ. However, anecdotally, I am aware of cases in which NJ cops took an "arrest 'em all, let the courts sort it out" approach which resulted in days of inconvenience at the very least. Non-resident travelers to NJ should always be aware of the risks posed by transporting firearms into and through the state.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Welcome from New York.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Born and raised there.
    As soon as I had a say in where I lived, I left.
    Never been back.
    finst3r, joker1 and NONAME762 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    I'm from Philadelphia and the close proximity to NJ is a complete inconvenience. I try to stay away from the (no offense) armpit of America.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

I get it!! Read the link from the NJSP site and draw your own conclusions. That was my point that you missed completely. I was very specific about legal advice (or lack thereof) and my views. Also, you are a NRA instructor in NJ and you don’t know the law? Transporting a gun in NJ would be the first questions I would ask of my instructor.

Thx...............Thats why i posted the NJSP official version of it.....

No, I know the LAW and I've been an instructor here this my 22 year.............NJ is a no tolerance state for out of state gun toters.

THX!!

It’s beginning to sound like you have no tolerance for out of state “gun toters” . Let’s get this resolved, shall we? I will agree that some LEO’s (perhaps most) may not like a gun toter from another state. I accept your premise. Please copy and paste the NJSP website to this forum and show me (thousands of us) specifically how I am misreading the text. I would also like to say I respect your training and position. I’m looking for answers, not confrontation.
    NONAME762 likes this.

They are not being confrontational, they are offering up their interpretation of the law in the spirit of discussion.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links