I bought my first pocket pistol today!

This is a discussion on I bought my first pocket pistol today! within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; And this is my first post on this forum! I have 1 question about my new gun for other LCP owners. My slide catch switch ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I bought my first pocket pistol today!

And this is my first post on this forum! I have 1 question about my new gun for other LCP owners. My slide catch switch is awefully hard going up. The slide has to be ALL the way back before I can get the catch up in the notch. Is this normal?

Here's a picture of my new companion, getting ready for its pre-testfire cleaning.

uploadfromtaptalk1368760010418.jpg

Welcome to DC. Congrats on your new gun. It is always exciting. Can't answer your question on the LCP however.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member
    I pocket carry which means I carry all the time. Welcome to the club. Yes, that is normal for the LCP. It is a small inexpensive gun so do not expect too much from it. I had one but sold it to buy a Sig P238. Heavier but it handles like a real gun. The LCP is popular for carry around here due to its size and weight but not too popular for shooting. Shoot yours and decide for yourself.

A .380 is bottom of the barrel for defensive rounds. I do not hate them as I own two .380's. However they are my for when I do not need a gun guns. Most men can handle a pocket nine though and only give up a few ounces in weight. However if you have no other choice the LCP is good for what it is. There are a lot of good choices for pocket guns out there should you start feeling inadequate with the LCP. Most end up moving up to a pocket 9mm. I mainly pocket carry a Sig P938, .357 LCR and XDs .45. After staring down a would be robber with my hand on my LCP in my pocket and really wishing I had carried one of my larger guns, I decided to replace it for something that I could use at more than belly distance and that had a slide that locked back on the last round. If you are cash strapped try a KelTec PF9 or Kahr CM9. Both fine pocket nines.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Taking your new pistola apart is fine, but why take the new mag apart? Just curious...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

Taking your new pistola apart is fine, but why take the new mag apart? Just curious...

ret
    I swapped out the contoured plate for the flush plate. So I figured I'd wipe down the spring while it was apart.

Oh one more question about it. Why do new Rugers have those round stickers like the red one on mine?

ummm....

because purple stickers would look silly on a gun?

just kidding: it's an inspection sticker at the QC station from the factory: think it has to do with making sure the safety or trigger controls are correct and to spec.

Congrats on your mouse gun!
    iguanadon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner83 View Post
    ummm....

because purple stickers would look silly on a gun?

just kidding: it's an inspection sticker at the QC station from the factory: think it has to do with making sure the safety or trigger controls are correct and to spec.

Congrats on your mouse gun!
    I figured as much.

Ive always wanted one of these mini .380s. A friend of mine has a Ruger LCP, and Id love to shoot one.

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Love my lcp! Welcome to the forums!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

The slide catch will loosen up with use, I drop a little oil while cleaning and work it half a dozen times.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Congrats in your LCP! It's a good gun for what it is (carry every day, hide anywhere, I hope I never use this because it's barely a gun). I like mine for quick grab and go's but prefer bigger guns with more and harder hitting rounds. But the LCP fits a niche and in spaces my Glocks, XD's and 1911 can't.

Congrats again!

Welcome to the forum..

As for the hold open latch; I just picked up one of the new LCPs and mine was pretty tough at first. As stated above, it will loosen up after a few rounds and use. The LCP is a awesome little pocket pistol, and I highly recommend it for anyone needing a deep cover carry option. Loaded with some good ammo and appropriate training, the LCP could definitely save ones butt.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links