Looking for CCW

This is a discussion on Looking for CCW within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Joined two days ago.....lookin for info. Both wife and I are looking for weapons for CCW. We are both Registered ER Nurses. I'm torn between ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for CCW

Looking for CCW

Joined two days ago.....lookin for info. Both wife and I are looking for weapons for CCW. We are both Registered ER Nurses. I'm torn between Glock 27, XD-40 SC, or PT145. We just started looking for her....either a .380 or pref a 9mm. Still very new to CCW's, some very good info on this site. Current weapons; Ruger P89, Mossburg pistol grip 500 12 Ga., Bushmaster M4A3 AR-15. Good to be here!

2. Remove Ads

Smile

Just curious...are you allowed to carry a gun into your work area? Or must it be left in your car?

My daughter is an RN in a Houston maternity hospital and has that issue; but they have someone who walks the nurses to their cars during any night hours.

VIP Member
    Welcome "The"......the Ruger, in an adequate holster and the right clothing, can certainly serve as a CCW.

That said, attempt to find a range that will let you rent those guns that interest you and/or "try and then buy." If any friends have those guns...tag along and try them. The bottom line is any of those guns would be great CCW...you just need to decide which meets your particular needs, feels best in your hands, and you are most accurate and confident with.....as for the missus....she needs to choose the best for herself based on her criteria.

The great thing is that there are nearly endless choices in great guns....have fun finding the one for you!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

http://www.oregonshooter.com/index.php?id=62

or buy a Glock and don't look back.

ref441; no we can't carry at work, too bad, my wife works in pretty bad area in Vegas.....she works days so it isn't that big a deal. I work in suburb/low crime area. Most likely to carry on days off/nights, or road trips....with proper state permits!
    I realize my P89 would work...........shhh......don't tell my wife, I won't be getting a new toy, LOL! Really I love my Ruger, but it is a little heavy and I would prefer something more compact, and bigger cal. I keep the Ruger close to the bed (along with the 12 ga).....easy for the wife to use also. Thanks for the feedback.
    Anyone know much about the Boulder City Gun Club/Range, Nevada?.....I'm thinking about joining.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome,get what ever guns fit you and you wife best (which may not be the same gun) .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Greetings! from Virginia

My wife is an RN and carries too (S&W J-Frame). Her hospital doesn't have a policy against it. Rare in this day and age. It's really a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. Since they don't specifically prohibit it, she doesn't let anyone know she's carrying, or even inquire about it. It's not a bad area, but anything can happen anywhere.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

p8riot.....interesting, now that you say that I'm not sure my hospital does have a policy....I going to check. Can I ask how she carries (what type of carry). I usually wear a fanny pack because of all the keys and phones I have to carry (I'm the house supervisor). I could always get a bigger fanny pack. Thanks

I don't have my CCW yet ,but I just thought about if any states have regulations about not carrying in specific pulic buildings, I'll have to check.

.45, 9mm, .380?

If you're not specificlly tied to a .380, why go with the smaller caliber?
    I have a little .380 KelTec, and it's a nice little weapon that has always worked well, but I seldom carry it unless all I have on is a 'towel'.

I would stay at the .45 or 9mm range. My little 3" Kimber in .45 is very easy to CCW and packs a 'real punch'. Most probably wouldn't want my Beretta 9000S in 9mm, but the point of the Beretta is that it is 'easy' to conceal and holds 'a gazillion' rounds.

Many here will give you some great advice, but you have to be comfortable with the 'feel' of your own gun (the wife, too). Handle them... the weight?, fit of the hand?, easy to keep in the waistband?, etc.

Good luck in your search, and be very careful, DON'T GET the need another gun syndrome...no such such thing as, Your Last Gun!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Recently bought a Kahr P45 that is great for concealed carry; thin, lightweight and .45 cal. Capacity 6+1. Might be something you want to look into. Many good choices out there!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

VIP Member
    welcome

Welcome -
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama. Here comes what everybody expects me to say, but I only say it cause it's true. You are looking for lighter and more compact. Look at the Sig P239. It is not the lightest pistol, but it is fairly light and it is compact. It also is available in three calibers: 9mm, .357 SIG, and .40 S&W. I carry the 9mm and my wife carries the .357 SIG. She shoots better than I do so I have the one with the most rounds. There is a 10 round mag available for the 9mm. With the standard mag it is 7+1 in a single stack mag. This makes it pretty thin and easy to conceal. That said I still consider the .357 SIG to be the best round.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links