Hello from Europe

Hello from Europe

This is a discussion on Hello from Europe within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi, I'm from The Netherlands, where we cannot own guns. I would very much like to have that right, however it was taken from us ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hello from Europe

Hello from Europe

Hi,

I'm from The Netherlands, where we cannot own guns. I would very much like to have that right, however it was taken from us a long time ago. It's too long a story to go into but the reasons then were similar then the reasons are now to take yours.

Obviously following the news and the current debate about your 2nd amendment I have a question:

The text (or what I found anyway) also implies gun ownership is in case the people need to deter a tyrannical government. Am I interpreting this correctly and if so, what kind of situation would warrant the use of firearms in that fashion? It seems to me the US Government is already pretty tyrannical (as for that matter is ours but there's not much we can do about it) so why is nothing happening? Apart from the heated debate of course.

I'm just trying to get a bit more insight into American gun-culture and I'm not trying to incite violence or actions of any kind here so please don't take it as such. I am pro-gun (not a gun nut), for as much that is possible in a police state that is The Netherlands, but for protection against the very things in your constitution, and for hunting and/or sport. Not random violence.
    I would however, hate to see the last place in the world that still has gun rights have them taken away as well. Here, we cannot even own airsoft replica's that look too much like 'the real thing' and even the small airpistol I own that (still) is legal scares guests when I show it to them. The general public in this country and I imagine in other European countries as well is so indoctrinated they'd rather have a snake loose in their house then a gun under the bed.

As for the introduction, I have 2 airguns, one a co2 competition 4,5mm diabolo one. I also own a Weihrauch 5,5 mm air rifle I used to practice with. Unfortunately I do not have the room to do that now so all it's doing is being maintained and looked at. Even though you can own these here, you cannot simply go outside and shoot them. You have to be inside, on a gun range (and in that case a member) or with consent on someones property. I'm looking for someone that owns a farm or something like that at this moment that will let me shoot there sometimes. Anyway, that's how it is in our little country. Not much to tell.

Again, not trying to get ppl to start a revolution here, just curious what the 'tipping point' would be. 'Deterring tyrannical government' is a little too vague and open to interpretation for me.

Thanks and stay safe.
    NONAME762 likes this.

VIP Member
    Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome!

Regarding the Second Amendment, you'll likely get as many interpretations as there are people who respond. My view is that an armed populace is an implicit threat. Things will have to get worse - much worse - before violence against the government is truly justified. The democratic process is still generally strong, though not as strong as it should be.

Today happens to be the anniversary of the Union victory in the Battle of Gettysburg. Our country still remembers the costs of our Civil War, and is unlikely to fall into rebellion except as an absolute last resort.
    mprp, ninjahippie and HAGJewels like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Welcome from the PRM!

Good to have our neighbors from across the pond on board.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

A short answer to your question. You'll find the people here love our country, and our form of government. While we may not be thrilled with the current leadership of the country, we are willing to let our 3 branches work. We have 3 "equal" branches to serve as a checks and balance system. While not perfect, it works for the most part. If the time ever comes when 1 branch declares the other 2 branches as being subservient to them.........well I just hope I'm no longer around if it happens.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Welcome from across the big pond..

VIP Member
    I'll reserve my comments for a later date.

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    The best answer I can think of is that it is our right per the 2nd amendment. That right has stood the test of time for centuries and I cannot see any need to change it, or amend it on the whim of some politician who will be history soon (he cannot run for President again). I believe the biggest need for law abiding citizens is for personal protection because its a nasty world out there, what with drugs and so forth.
    Hunting and sport shooting is also big in this country.

Welcome to the board, I hope you get a better answer.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Funny, I've never heard of Netherlands, California.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum from North California!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

I'll have to think hard about a response to your statements. I'm a military retiree & don't want to jeopardize my retirement check, lol. I definitely have opinions about our present national leadership.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Welcome to the site from USA , Maryland East Coast
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Lead Moderator
    Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

As to your question, it's very hard to answer and has been prone to more and more argument since the document was written 200+ years ago. Back when the document was written the answer was a lot easier and obvious, since the population had just overthrown a "tyrannical government", namely the British.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome from Southwest Florida.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links