New in Dallas

This is a discussion on New in Dallas within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; If this shows up twice, my apologies. I'm in the market for a personal protection handgun. I had a scary experience this weekend which ended ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New in Dallas

New in Dallas

If this shows up twice, my apologies.

I'm in the market for a personal protection handgun.
    I had a scary experience this weekend which ended in the parking lot of the police department. A man followed me for over an hour, cutting across traffic when I tried to exit quickly, u-turns. I called the police and they directed me to their front door. Surprisingly, he not only followed me into their parking lot but continued to follow me as I circled the PD parking lot 3 times waiting for police to box him in.

By God's grace, I filled my gas tank earlier or wouldn't have had the option afforded me.

I learned 2 things: 1) I want a gun and 2) I was way more shaky than I would've expected of myself prior to this incident.

This means I want a really simple solution. My brother (the cop) recommends a revolver (and pepper spray and a tactical flashlight, etc, etc--he loves me). I was raised on a farm and introduced to guns early on. Great memories shooting bottles at the dump. I was also in the Navy and had some very basic training there. However, I've never selected or purchased my own gun.

I'm interested in hearing your experiences in selecting your first gun for personal protection. Particularly women.

I intend to practice frequently--found a great place with indoor range and a $5 ladies night every week. Sounds like fun, but cost of ammunition is a variable as well. There is a class for intro to handguns where I can also test-fire 15 different handguns.

I've held quite a few (revolvers and pistols) and am leaning towards a Ruger LCR 38 Spec because it was markedly more comfortable than some of the others to hold and carry. I'm looking forward to comparing it to others.

So I'm soliciting your advice on how and where to buy. Any tips on things to consider?

I look forward to hearing your experiences.
    Nice to meet you,
    Carol

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Main considerations for concealed carry are, in no particular order (but you pick most important to you): access, comfort, concealability, retention. For defense against car jackers or psycho-bold stalkers in the police parking lot, especially if you spend a lot of time stopped in town, consider a cross-draw holster or at least one that you can access fast in the front in a seated position. My favorite is the Fist Driving Holster (#42). Video here.
    Yes, it's not cheap. There may be less expensive options just as good. But not only is it a one-time (per gun) good purchase for a good reason, it may be best to start with the best than to rack up the same amount on mostly useless holsters. Anyway, one thing about this one is that, for me, it's not most concealable. So you'll need some blousey cover. I know, in Dallas, your choice will be extremely light mostly.
    Others here with more experience, especially with women's style, will offer advice.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Welcome from Central Texas!!!!!!

LCR 38sp is a great gun!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Welcome to Defensive Carry from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

VIP Member
    Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house! Thankful for God's grace, mercy and strength to get you through that scary ordeal. Glad to hear you are safe and taking the next steps of safety for yourself!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Welcome from Ohio.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad your "experience" turned out okay.

I like the idea of taking the class that allows you to try out 15 different firearms. You would get lots of opportunities to make a decision on a particular firearm.

If you haven't viewed the Cornered Cat website (Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.) yet, I encourage you to view that site. It's a great site, and not just for women.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Greetings from Richmond/Rosenberg, TX

There are Gun Clubs and Classes specifically for women. I myself never shot a handgun till November 2012 (I'm 63). I had an experienced friend take to me a range and i was instructed in gun safety and shot some of his firearms. I felt it important to get a good BASIC HANDGUN 101 class. It was well worth the money. There are great compact and subcompact semi-autos, that are easy to operate and conceal. There are also great revolvers (Like the LCR). If there is a problem pulling the slide back to charge the battery, then a revolver is a great choice.

Hello! Welcome from South East Kansas!

Lead Moderator
    Welcome!

Try as many guns as you can get your hands on (Borrow/rent at range), then buy the model you feel most comfortable with. You also might want to try reposting the question in a more appropriate area of the forum. (Defensive Carry Guns.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Welcome from PA. the class you are taking will be great since you can handle and shoot multiple weapons. find one that is most comfortable for you to shoot. the LCR is a great gun, and the 38 special is a good defensive round. i would take your brothers advise and hold on to it. revolvers are good, but so are semi autos. find the gun you are comfortable with, not what someone else tells you. good luck in your class and hope you find a gun that you like and that you can shoot well. Happy shooting.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Welcome from GA!!
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

GH
    As others have advised you try as many different guns that you can before buying. If you don't have that opportunity then research & when you finally make your decision shoot as much as you can. Even a gun that's not suitable for you can work out once you know its characteristics inside & out. Muscle memory will prevail.

Stay safe & always be aware of the situation.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links