I know. I know. Another suggestion thread.

This is a discussion on I know. I know. Another suggestion thread. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; here goes. I am looking for my first defense gun. I will narrow things down as much as I can. It will also serve as ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I know. I know. Another suggestion thread.

here goes. I am looking for my first defense gun. I will narrow things down as much as I can. It will also serve as my home defense gun until such time as I am able to purchase a separate gun for that purpose.
    1. Money. I will be able to spend about $750
    2. It must be easily concealable. Almost pocket.
    3. I really like 9mm. (for price and availability factors.) But will consider other calibers...380...45. I can shoot them. My Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum is my favorite to shoot and I shoot it well!
    4. No revolvers. I love them....just don't want to carry one.
    5. If you suggest it....it means you have experience with what you suggest. In other words...you have carried it!
    6. I don't care what it looks like. It must have proven reliability.
    7. I don't care about the trigger. As long as when I pull it...it goes bang.
    8. Must have no more than 10 round mag. I live in Connecticut.
    9. I don't know of any place to test fire any guns near me. So unfortunately it may mean that I will be taking a leap of faith.
    10. I will decide in 10 days. So if I can't locate my #1 pick it will have to fall to #2 or.... gasp! ...#3
    Please help!

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    First welcome to the forum, I can't comment on anything pocket size since I have not looked at anything that small. Closest I have come is the M&P Shield but I wouldn't call it a pocket pistol. Shoots well, feels nice, and it can get the job done. I'm sure others will chime in who do carry pocket pistols and they will give you sound advice.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

No leap of faith needed here...Glock-26...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

...welcome...
    ...for well under that money, you can get a Ruger P95...used...and it'll serve you well for generations...polymer frame and steel slide...available w/10 round mags...carries well and easy to master...
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman22 View Post
    here goes. I am looking for my first defense gun. I will narrow things down as much as I can. It will also serve as my home defense gun until such time as I am able to purchase a separate gun for that purpose.
    3. I really like 9mm. (for price and availability factors.) But will consider other calibers...380...45. I can shoot them. My Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum is my favorite to shoot and I shoot it well!
    5. If you suggest it....it means you have experience with what you suggest. In other words...you have carried it!
    9. I don't know of any place to test fire any guns near me. So unfortunately it may mean that I will be taking a leap of faith.
    10. I will decide in 10 days. So if I can't locate my #1 pick it will have to fall to #2 or.... gasp! ...#3
    Please help!

VIP Member
    Welcome to the site from Maryland , Ruger SR9c
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Please help!
    Springfield XDS is either .45 ACP (5 or 7 rd mag or in 9 mm (7 or 9 rd magazine. Light,slender and accurate. I love mine

As was stated above, the Glock 26, or maybe the G19, which also has 10 round mags available.
    For pocket, Keltec P32. Mine has been flawless. I carry mine daily in a Blackhawk #1 pocket holster. It is my BUG.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Glock 26.

Distinguished Member
    Gosh, you got a limit there with what all you have on your wish list. Since it has to be something we shoot I'm out, only got revolver or more than 10 rounds. Do love a Smith gun, can't complain at all on those.

What I can suggest is to make sure you can get the ammo easy where you live or somewhat easy. The two you suggested first is what is hard to get where I live, the 9mm & 380. But here in this part of SC we got all you want of the 40 & 38. When you are shopping that is one thing I would check out - no ammo then all you got is an expensive hammer.

Welcome to the forum & glad to have you in the house!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Welcome to DC! I would suggest the Beretta Nano. Very small, vanishingly so with the flush-fit 6 round mag, and still pretty compact with the 8 round mag. Well within the limits of your state's draconian laws. I have a lot rounds through mine with no failures of any kind. It's accurate and easy to shoot, too. IIRC they're usually below $450.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house! Shield is my rec...in 9mm. You might want to post this in the Defensive Carry Discussion section of the forum...TONS better traffic.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Welcome! Displaced Nutmegger here, now in the AZ desert after 40+ years in CT.

Not knowing your shooting background, I'm hesitant to recommend a really small gun. Pocket guns are challenging to shoot well; I'd rather see you start with a 'compact' gun, gain proficiency, then move to something smaller if you need to. Given that, within your stated budget here are a few suggestions:
    Springfield Armory XDS9 - 7+1
    Kimber Solo - 6+1
    Kahr CW9/P9 - 7+1
    Glock 19 with 10-rd mags
    Smith & Wesson M+P 9c - 10+1
    Ruger SR9c 10+1

As to your 'qualifications', I have shot the XD and the M&P, and I own Kahrs and a Glock. I left CZs off the list because there are really hard to find these days. If you pressed me to pick ONE, I'd choose the M+P 9c for its reliability and versatility, plus the fact that at the moment you'd have to search for 10-round Glock mags for the 19.

Hope this helps!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sounds like a Ruger SP-101 to me, but you want to exclude revolvers from the mix. So ...

All I've carried, personally, in a pocket holster is: Kahr P380, Kahr PM9, Kel-Tec P3AT, Kel-Tec PF9, S&W 442 Airweight. In terms of reliability, the only two I can really recommend out of that list would be the P3AT and 442. Though the P3AT exhibited exceptional reliability for me, as it has for many others, it's most certainly not designed to be a high-quality, to Hell-and-back type weapon.

Frankly, I can't think of any pistols in the pocket-carry size range that'll be almost guaranteed to give you out-of-box, dead-nuts reliability such that you could confidently purchase it sight unseen. Revolvers, certainly. But, no pistols.

If, though, you'd be prepared to fully test out any pistol you acquired, of the pocketable size of sidearms I would suggest the Kahr PM9 (or CM9) to be probably the best of the lot. Easily, the lightest and thinnest 9mm on the market, for its size. At sub-$400 (for the CM9), it's relatively affordable. If you find that the gun responds well to your hand, not exhibiting any of the occasional bobbles that some people experience, I think you'd truly love it.

If you're absolutely not prepared to (or not capable of) shooting a newly-acquired sidearm before proving its viability, you'll need to find the level of comfort you're prepared to live with in a sight-unseen purchase. Can speak to any others beyond what I've personally carried.

BTW, if "pockeable" is really only nearly-pocketable to you, then you'll need to determine just how large of dimensions you're able to handle. If you can do up to 6.5" OAL or so, I'd strongly suggest either the CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm or the H&K P2000SK 9mm. Not pocket sized, but strong contenders for out-of-box reliability such that you could get away with a sight-unseen purchase and little to now field testing and still have a fair shot at a dead-nuts reliable unit. Another option might be the SIG P232 .380ACP pistol. A bit smaller, and in .380, but possibly a contender for this category as well.

Personally, though, I won't ever feel comfortable carrying a sidearm I've not personally tested for functional reliability. But that's just me.

A tool that might help you narrow down options: Handgun Database Search @ Genitron.com. You can sort the output by OAL, weight, capacity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It sounds like a glock 26 would fit you fine, i like its 10+1 capacity and it will take other glock 9mm mags also. Also take a look at the Springfield XDS 9mm and the S&W M&P shield. For what its worth, I'm about to buy the Glock 27, the 26's cousin chambered in .40.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

Sounds like your looking for a sub compact pistol. The ones that I have experience with that meet your requirements are the Bersa Thunder 380, CZ RAMI (9mm 10+1, .40 8+1), or the Kahr CW9 or CW45.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links