Lessons of a ladie newbie

This is a discussion on Lessons of a ladie newbie within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; You may need to advise me to move my post again, but I think this one is appropriate. Update: I have purchased a used Taurus ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Lessons of a ladie newbie

You may need to advise me to move my post again, but I think this one is appropriate.
    Update: I have purchased a used Taurus 38 Special (just to have something for defense) I've been to the range 1-2xweek and renting some 9mm too. (I'm still deciding on that purchase--leaning Beretta Nano)

What I'm learning from my research in the real world and the virtual world:
    1. shooting is fun--I'm wanting to do some of those obstacle course things!
    2. shooting is kind of expensive-- we were poor, don't know how we had some many guns growing up
    3. Gun guys really respect their women--not intimidated by their obvious capability. I think its sweet when you are shopping for them! (the stereotype is kind of the opposite! in case you didn't know)
    4. Women shooters can still be feminine. (Confession: tomboy as a kid, but haven't worn a ball cap since high school)

This has been an interesting experience for sure. I'm joining a Ladies Pistol Group in Dallas (Bass Pro Grapevine) and I'm looking forward to learn more about what I think may be becoming a new hobby for me.

Thanks for letting me lurk in your forums!
    Carol
    gasmitty, Snub44, Sister and 10 others like this.

Welcome from Memphis.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Hi Carol

Welcome to the forum. Yes shooting is fun (and addictive too!), the 'obstacle things' you refer too I think you mean competition shooting, which is IDPA, USPSA, and IPSC.

All are loosely based around the same principle, but IDPA, which is what I participate in, is basically the cheapest option. Mainly because there are restrictions on the type of firearms used and how much 'work' you are allowed to do to them in IDPA, the others can get expensive if you decide to become really competitive, and gun costs can range anywhere into the high 4 figures.

IDPA was born out of USPSA and IPSC as a way to make the sport affordable for all. To actually get started you've probably already got most of what you need, don't know about your area, but here in Alabama, your first match is free, then around $10 a match thereafter. You dont have to be a member to participate in the match, but to be officially ranked, you have to be a member of the IDPA (idpa.com).
    If you are really into the shooting scene like I am, I would strongly suggest you find a local club and try out a few matches, its a lot of fun, the guys are usually great with helpful tips and info, and you compete on equal terms so the guys can't cry 'unfair advantage' when you whup their *** .

Sara Lou
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    You're quite welcome. Glad to have you.

Welcome from Washington State!!!

Welcome to Defensive Carry The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Welcome from Alaska.

Yes, there is a place here called Big Boar Tactical that does more real life scenarios with how to practice drawing, etc. (not just paper target kind of thing).
    I'm not interested in competing, but admit that I'm kind of competitive by nature. (I couldn't raise an African violet without entering it into a flower show) so that's my cross to bear.
    Also, I think my vision/progressive lenses may be an issue in this kind of shooting as viewing sights and target requires 2 different areas of my eyeglasses (requiring a bit of a head bob to reacquire).
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more!

Welcome from the dry side of Washington (if it doesn't say DC it's the state).

Lots of us shoot with glasses its a pain but you really get used to it. Nano seems to be a decent gun. You might need something a little bigger for the classes. Might want to rent a glock 26 or a g17 just to try them out. Welcome

Hi, welcome from Az.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Hello from Southern Illinois. Welcome aboard!
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Shooting didn't use to be as high priced as it is now, caused by current administration and fueled by recent headlines.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Welcome from South Carolina. It's great to hear you've taken such an interest in firearms.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links