Advice needed for Mom/Daughter with Self Defense Guns, please.

Advice needed for Mom/Daughter with Self Defense Guns, please.

This is a discussion on Advice needed for Mom/Daughter with Self Defense Guns, please. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello. Thank you for any help you can offer. I am trying to find a self defense gun for my daughter that is off to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Advice needed for Mom/Daughter with Self Defense Guns, please.

Question Advice needed for Mom/Daughter with Self Defense Guns, please.

Hello. Thank you for any help you can offer. I am trying to find a self defense gun for my daughter that is off to college (off campus) and another for myself. We do not like recoil, so have eliminated all shotguns.
    Do not have very much experience shooting (and are having a difficult time finding ammo) so not very accurate with hand guns.
    Currently own a Beretta .32 Tom Cat, which I do not really like (to much kick). Just traded in our 20 gauge Remington semi auto for a Bushmaster A3 M4 which I LOVE, but is kind of big for my daughter to hide under her bed. Here are my questions, thank you in advance for your time and help!!

1) What is the best self defense weapon for my daughter to have given the above experiences/information.

2) What do I need to know about the Bushmaster A3 M4
    a) Best ammo for this gun? (both for target practice and for self defense)
    b) Recommended accessories?
    c) Maintenance suggestions?

3) Is there a reliable and fairly priced place to buy ammo?

4) Is there a gun that you would recommend that would be great to learn how to shoot with, that ammo is available and inexpensive?

5) Any other advice you would give a inexperienced gun owner?

Thank You so much for your time!

VIP Member
    First off Welcome to the site from Maryland
    Most all ammo is still a little tough to get . As far as low recoil i would say .22 or .25 and .32 but you do not like the recoil on that . All three of these calibers have liminited ammo availible.
    I am sure somone else may have some better solutions . Good Luck and be Safe
    girlswithguns likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Welcome from Southwest Florida.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Greetings from Richmond/Rosenberg, TX

I gather from what you are saying this is not for Conceal Carry (Though if it was my daughter I'd recommend a good small Semi 9mm, or a small revolver). I don't have very much experience with rifles, and though for home defense i imagine they'd be great, I'd really be worried about a round penetrating into a room where someone else was other than what I was aiming at. The best I could give you is that Both of you become familiar with your firearms, get to range whenever that is possible. I am learning fast this can get somewhat expensive. (every time i go to range i will shoot between 100-200 rounds, at todays prices that's $80 every time i go to the range +what ever the range time fee is). Whatever you chose even at home safety check your firearm and just practice dry fire. (See your manual on Dry fire procedures)

Thank You for your reply. Kennydale, do you recommend a specific small semi 9mm or small revolver? Brand? Also any one place better than another to find inexpensive ammo?
    Warmest Regards,
    Steph

I shot a 9mm yesterday and it was much better than my little 32Tomcat. Perhaps because it was heavier??? idk. Thanks you for your response, welder 516!

Welcome. OK...yeah, the .32 tomcat really does have a kick that is surprising for that gun. I have one in stainless, which is heavier, so I would have expected it to kick less. Maybe it does kick less than blued steel, but darned if it doesnt kick a lot.

On the plus side, it works. Ie it doesnt jam, and will fire any ammo. In my experience, few guns work well nearly all the time, with all ammo, under most all conditions.

Two that do, that would fit the bill for you are a Glock 19, in 9 mm, and a Smith & Wesson M&P compact 9mm. I own both, and have fired both extensively.

Yesterday I could have bought good federal (target) ammo at walmart in 9mm. I have ordered ammo from cabelas, and gotten good prices, though its certainly been harder to find, since sandy hook. Below find a link that will help you finding ammo for your AR & in other calibers.

For AR ammo, I like lake city, 5.56, in 55 grn, for general purpose.

What I think you need most? TRAINING.

GunBot find 223 5.56 AR-15 ammo in stock

Be careful of small guns. As the PD trainer up here likes to say, "small guns are expert guns". Primarily due to recoil which makes follow up shots more difficult.
    22's are .nice ... Except for reliability can be huge problem. If she can train and shoot enough to get past the recoil sensitivity, then I would avoid the 22.

You are going to get this response a lot : go rent and shoot a variety. Take a beginners handling class. Take a "bump in the night" defense class. Then practice practice practice.
    Does she have the mindset to use a gun if necessary? Another class.
    If she gets past the recoil issue, something in the xd, glock, m&p families which fit her would all be good choices.
    If it's only for home defense (ie, she won't be conceal carrying), I would stay larger than he m&p shield/ Springfield xds. If she will be concealing, I am partial to these 2.
    FWIW: I am not a police officer, navy seal, or any other kind of commando (real or imagined). I work in an office, carry almost all other times (especially at home), practice almost every month, and have taken 5-6 classes to become comfortable with our weapons. I say this only to encourage you to take all forum advice carefully as you never know who is speaking from real experience and who has YouTube experience.
    Best of luck. You are doing the right thing, and I hope you persevere through the learning process. It can be expensive and frustrating at times to find what works for you.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Enroll yourself and your daughter in a good training class. Lots of them out there, check the NRA website for starters. Google is your friend....

Go to a range that rents guns and try out as many as you can and then make a decision. Female family members of mine (including 12 year old nieces) shoot a 9 mm just fine so I would suggest starting there.

If your daughter is staying in a dorm or apartment I wouldn't recommend the AR as the best self defense weapon in that situation. That shotgun you traded it for would have been a better solution.

Whatever you do, do not just "leave it under the bed" in a college dorm room or apartment shared by others.

Good luck.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

First choice for home defense would always be a shotgun, but since you have ruled that out, second choice would be a handgun. Caliber wise, first choice would be 9mm, followed by .380.

Might want to check out the Bersa Thunder for the 380. Well built, reliable and not overly expensive. For a 9mm take a look at the CZ75 P-07. Polymer frame, 16+1 round capacity, well built and reliable and again, light rail built into it, won't break the budget.

As for finding ammo. That can be tricky. Walmart is usually a good place to start looking. If you live in an area where they have Meijer stores, I understand they often have ammo available. Don't have any near me, but they are all over where my son lives and that's what he's told me. Sporting Goods stores like Dick's, Gander Mountain, Cabela and Bass Pro are also good places to look.

On line you can usually find some, but you need to be careful ordering it on line. Make sure they actually have it in stock before ordering and also make sure you check out the shipping cost. While you may find it $2-3 cheaper on line, the shipping can quickly eat that savings up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    First, welcome to the forum.

Handling recoil is more about technique than anything else. My daughter is 11 & 75lbs soaking wet. She can shoot most of mine & my wife's firearms. (She already wants her own pink 38sp or 380acp; and she wants a pink AR)

The best thing you can do is to take a class or two. You may also want to look for a free "Women on Target" event in your area. You can find them on the NRA website. Once you learn a few basics of handling & shooting, a whole new & wonderful world will open up for you.

-
    mprp likes this.

Well THANK YOU!!! so much for your detailed response!!! I did shoot a friends 9mm yesterday and it was sooooo much better than my snipy little tomcat!
    You are also sooo right about Training!!! How does a girl go about learning? I live in Michigan, and have not really found a source or teacher close by. I have gone through the concealed gun class, but that was years ago. Because I was to scared to fire that Tomcat, I did not bother to renew my license. As the world becomes more volatile I feel it is my duty as a Mother and American to learn proper gun safety, and buy some guns I am comfortable shooting.

So thank you again for your specific reply Mr. StormRhydr~! It was extremely helpful!!!

Warmest Regards,
    Steph
    StormRhydr likes this.

I will get on the NRA site now!! Thank You sooooooo much tcox4freedom!!!!

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Welcome from Western Kentucky!

See if you can find a Beretta PX4 Storm to shoot. You'll love it. It comes in full size, compact and sub-compact. I have the compact 9mm.

I've never had a failure of any kind with it and it's a real soft shooter.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-storm-compact/
    Kennydale likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

There you go - you've shot a 9mm & found it manageable. I personally wouldn't use any smaller caliber for self defense coupled with a load of good self defense hollow points. Anything is better than nothing, though. I agree with the idea & I'm sure you'll hear it again - the heavier the handgun the less perceived recoil. There's no free lunch, though. Sometimes convenience is sacrificed with a heavy handgun. It becomes uncomfortable to carry all day but there's always a compromise between gun weight & gun manageability.

As far as taking any courses dealing with firearms I'm sure that any local gun shop could give you some places that do that. That failing check the internet with a Google search. That failing try you phone book yellow pages probably under "sporting goods" or "guns"
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links