New User/Advice Needed

This is a discussion on New User/Advice Needed within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey, everyone! I just started carrying a concealed handgun this past month. I'm 22 years old and living in the great state of Texas. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: New User/Advice Needed

New User/Advice Needed

Hey, everyone! I just started carrying a concealed handgun this past month. I'm 22 years old and living in the great state of Texas. I am currently carrying a Beretta PX4 compact in 9mm, and I love it. It's a great shooter, and I can't complain about 16 rounds of ammo on my hip.

Now, onto a bit more somber subject. My grandfather passed away last week at the ripe old age of 88. He was an amazing man and fought in three wars (WWII, Korea, and Vietnam). He taught me to shoot on an old Colt Commander 1911 when I was just a kid and he carried a 1911 in all 3 wars, as did my father in Vietnam. I want to get a good officer's sized 1911 for concealed carry in his memory. I've all but settled on an ATI FX45 Compact 1911 that I found in my local gun shop. I know the price isn't great, but I like supporting my local shop, and it's the cheapest one he has.

I've heard mixed reviews on it, and I was just wondering what some of you guys thought about it. It feels great and I know I'll have to replace a few parts, but it's still way cheaper than the Kimber I actually want, but can't afford right now. I'll upgrade eventually, but with my grandfather's passing, I want a 1911 sooner rather than later. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for the feedback, and it's great to be on the forum!

2. Remove Ads

My advice?

Be patient, save your spare change, and honor your grandpa's memory and his honorable service by getting a quality Commander. It'll ultimately mean more to you both.

And may your grandpa rest in peace - he was one of the Greatest Generation.

Oh - welcome to the forum!
    srings, OD*, GhostMaker and 11 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house! Can't go wrong with the wise counsel of Smitty.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Welcome to Defensive Carry The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I will definitely be getting a top shelf 1911 down the line, but right now, I just really want one on my hip. It will be traded in a couple years. Do you have any experience with the ATI titan? It feels great, but I'm not able to shoot one. This is a starter 1911. I will work up to the gun my grandfather taught me on.

And thank you for your condolences, Smitty. I appreciate it.
    gasmitty likes this.

I'm not familiar with the brand. Have you checked out Rock Island Armory's 1911 offerings? Mine has been a great gun for a little under $500.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My advice?

Be patient, save your spare change, and honor your grandpa's memory and his honorable service by getting a quality Commander. It'll ultimately mean more to you both.

And may your grandpa rest in peace - he was one of the Greatest Generation.

Oh - welcome to the forum!
    Great advice.

Honor your grandfather by making the wise choice...wait to get THE 1911 that shows how much you cared for your grandfather...honor the young strong man he was when he served his country...get a 1911 that projects that image of him...strength...reliability...ready to serve...

Welcome to the forum.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Great advice above.. Welcome also and enjoy the 1911s.

Welcome from west Texas. I would think the best thing is to wait until you can get the quality that you're looking for. I rushed for a 1911 (.45ACP) several years back. Got aBrolin and was less than happy with it. Traded a fine Blackhawk to get it - mistake. Later traded the Brolin for a Ruger P97 - was not happy with that. Still don't have a 1911 in .45. Should have waited.

My condolences for your grandfather.
    USN Retired

VIP Member
    I agree the best thing you could do is wait until you can afford the gun you actually want. That time will come about sooner if you don't throw your money into a gun in an emotional state. But if you just have to buy one now, the ATI isn't the worst gun on the market. I'd stick with the 4.25 in version and avoid their 3 inch stuff. 1911's with barrel lengths under 4 inches tend to be hit or miss for many folks.

Rock Island isn't horrible either. Give them a look. You may have to buy from someone else but your LGS can still do the transfer for you and get a little cash out of the deal.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Here's the thing: right now, I want a workhorse gun. My grandfather taught me that a pistol had only one use, to kill someone who is threatening the safety of your family. I want my first 1911 to be a rugged gun that I carry and shoot a lot, one that I won't mind getting dirty, so to speak. If he were still here, he would rather I get the gun that I'll carry and use instead of keep in the safe. That's why I d.on't want to spend a lot on my first 1911

VIP Member
    I agree with your grandfather. I don't own a gun that isn't a working gun. If I find that I'm not using it and don't see myself using it the gun finds a new home.

The problem is you're picked the 1911 platform. The bargain guns aren't known for reliability. Often they spend time trying to look like the high end guns rather than in making them work well. My actual recommendation to you would be to get a government sized GI style gun. It won't be as pretty as some of the guns in the same price range but you can get a much better gun for about the same money. Carried IWB a full size 1911 isn't hard to deal with. I can conceal my 5 inch 1911 more easily than I do the Glock 17 I carry now or the Glock 23 I carried before simply because it is so much thinner. Heck, if you're willing to buy a used gun (and anytime you're on a budget I think used is the way to go) you may be able to find a Springfield GI for under $500. Bud's had one for $414 not too long ago. Then you'll have a workhorse that you can depend on. And you have a basic platform that you can turn into anything you want.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Keep what you have for now...learn it well! Save for your dream...don't rush it, good things come to those that wait.
    Do a little more research while you save your money...your time will come.
    OD* likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

My condolences to you & your family for your loss. Your grandfather sounds like a man I would have been overjoyed to have served with.

I think the advice is unanimous - enjoy your PX4. Carry it daily for your safety. Save your money & buy the real thing, one that will last your lifetime & will be able to pass down to the next generation. So it takes a few years but you won't be settling for second best.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links