Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello from Oregon

1K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  soonerjh 
#1 ·
Welp, I’m a new guy here. A little about me-self:

Born and raised in a smallish town (Milwaukie) outside Portland, Oregon.

Drafted (among the last) into the Army in 1972.

First the Army made me a Watercraft Operator (landing craft) - I don’t swim.

I switched to Arty as a Forward Observer in 1974 - after I got “just missed” by my own units guns, I asked myself what the future looked like for an ex-FO in the civilian world; the answers didn’t look promising.

Made my final switch to what was known as the US Army Security Agency (USASA or ASA) in ’75 - loved it!

When they finally deactivated the last of ASA in ’78 I remained with Military Intelligence until I retired in ’94.

Today I’m a sergeant with a Department of Public Safety (College Law Enforcement).

My hobbies are -

Firearms (Collect, shoot, and teach. I shot competition for almost twenty years, taught [coached] for about eighteen years, was a Plant Manager for Kimber Firearms, etc…)

History (especially Historical Reenactment [French and Indian Wars, Civil War, and American Mountain Man periods)

Gaming (primarily Strategy [Age of Empires, Total War, Civilization] and First Person Shooter [Rainbow 6/Raven Shield, Call of Duty, America’s Army], and have recently decided to try out Flight Sims [Microsoft CFS 1, 2, and 3; and now AH2])

Teaching ([OK, this is also one of the jobs I’ve had / I do - but I do it for free also because I like it.] Shooting [as mentioned above], Hunter Ed [specialty classes like handgun hunting, muzzleloader hunting, tracking/trailing, survival, etc…] Use of Force, Baton and OC, Field Training and Evaluation Program, etc…)

Photography (just getting back into it after twenty years away - love these new digital cameras)

Here are some of my shots:

First is of me. Second is of my Kahr PM9 - my usuall CCH. Third is my S&W 625-2 (and a Javilina I took with it in Arizona). Fourth is my Uberti Schofield and my original US Krag Carbine. I have others.

Peace to all,

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome from Middle Tennessee, and thank you for your service!

#7 ·
Welcome

Welcome ASA335 from Missouri. So you got yourself a Javilina. Thats a small boar isn't it. I went boar hunting with a 45. I was told not to but did not understand why they thought it did not have enough penatration. Well I took it down with one shot but did have to give it a love tap to move it along. You'll like this forum.

#10 ·
Thanks all!

So you got yourself a Javilina. Thats a small boar isn't it.
Yeah, a small (25 - 40 lbs) pig.

The wildlife biologist there told me Javalina are not pigs, but are rodents. Something to do with the skeletal structure of their foot; but I said "If it looks like a pig, roots like a pig, smells like a pig, and squeels like a pig - it's a pig. Maybe you guys shouldn't go more than skin deep in some cases."

By the way, it was very tasty :image035:

In Pursuit,

#12 ·
welcome to the club. I live in Newport, Ore Not to far from you guys. I have family in portland and often make trips up there. We should get together for a shoot sometime. enjoy the club.

#25 ·
I have family in portland and often make trips up there. We should get together for a shoot sometime.
ASA335 said:
Maybe we should get together for some shooting sometime. I belong to the Public Safety Training Center (Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office training facility – open to the public).
Hey, I'm up for it. I shoot just up the road at the Johnson Creek facility. Am looking for an outdoor shorty rifle range, as well, what with the new Marlin 1894P 44m rifle in the stable. (Been thinking of the Douglas Ridge club, just east of Clackamas.)

PM me if interested in doing any weekend work on the indoor pistol range.

- Michael

#24 ·
Thanks all! Seems like a warm and friendly place.

Just across town, myself.
I have family in Portland and often make trips up there. We should get together for a shoot sometime.
Maybe we should get together for some shooting sometime. I belong to the Public Safety Training Center (Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office training facility – open to the public).

I do a little F&I reenacting, but mostly RevWar.
Reenacting is great fun and a great learning experience. Shame it’s so darn expensive to get involved in.

…gotta love those 625's....
They are tack drivers; I one several matches with mine while stationed in Germany.

At Your Service,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.