Northern Nevada, why some people don't think carrying is necessary in today's world.

This is a discussion on Northern Nevada, why some people don't think carrying is necessary in today's world. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; This is an interesting location, with Kalifornia not far away, fairly urban settings, but plenty of wide open spaces. Average response time for a Deputy ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Northern Nevada, why some people don't think carrying is necessary in today's world.

Northern Nevada, why some people don't think carrying is necessary in today's world.

This is an interesting location, with Kalifornia not far away, fairly urban settings, but plenty of wide open spaces. Average response time for a Deputy to my neighborhood is 20 min, but several of my Co-Workers live in the city and don't see the need for the average citizen to carry firearms.

This has been informative, as I have almost always lived in a rural setting. I am more likely to deploy my CCW on a Bobcat or Coyote terrorizing my chickens than I am on a BG, also part of why I prefer wheelguns to autos (I own both, but definately carry a snubby more than a compact auto). I theorize that if you grew up in a rural setting (MOM! A RACCOON GOT INTO THE TRASH AGAIN!) you are so much more likely to see and understand firearms as necessary tools of the job. My urban couterparts, lacking this background, only see guns in movies or in the news, and their default setting is "Guns are only meant to destroy, and mostly destroy people, so guns are evil. Call the police, they will help you!"

For a brief period of time, I bought into this when I lived in the city. I happened to be the victim of a violent crime, called the police, and they arrived within 2 minutes. During that two minutes, I was able to successfuly subdue the attacker--but had the attacker been better armed, I would have been killed and he would have had plenty of time to escape. This resonated with me, and I began to see the wisdom of my Father, who had been harrassing me about getting a ccw.

Given that I live on a ranch and have a hard time keeping autos clean, I tend to gravitate to wheelguns, though I own both. Anyone that has shot enough has encountered a hangfire or a misfire, and I am firmly in the camp of "five for sure".

My view of the defensive firearm is this--should you find yourself in a mugging/personal attack situation, a snubby will work because it is the "weasel in your pocket" (Ayoob). In an active shooter scenario, you will not engage a rifleman--we had this scenario play out in carson city and found out the hard way that a snubnose is no match for an sks. In this type of situation, you find cover and regain some type of element of surprise--you set an ambush. I postulate that any pistol, regardles of magazine size, is outgunned in any similar scenario--so a snubby is equally valid in that scenario as a glock 21.

Regardless of the flavor of carry, I celebrate that we all carry. I also advocate that we practice with what we carry, so I shoot at least weekly with my carry guns. I rotate, but favor practice with my snubbies because of the inherent difficulties in being accurate with the platform.

I have lurked on the forum for a long time, but recently a family member got their ccw and asked for advice. I figured that I may as well contribute to the forum that has given me such good information.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Finally, after your 7th post, an introduction!
    Glad you're here...

ret
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from Delaware!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Being raised in a rural setting and living in one most of my life I get where you are coming from. However being in a rural setting I promise you is not close to a guarantee that the devil with extreme ill and brutal intentions will not come knocking.

Thats said I do not really care that some folks dont want to be armed. Its their choice not to be. Dumb choice I think but that is my opinion not theirs.

What gets under my skin isnt they they believe they need nothing but LE to protect them, its that they want to insist that I think that way also when I know better and disarm me and my fellow carriers against our rights and our wishes.

If Betty Crocker from the city wants to go hand to hand with Jack the Ripper while she waits 2 to 5 minutes for LE to get there by all means its her right to do so.

Ms Crocker needs to stop tell me and other like me that we should give up our guns for rolling pins so she can feel better about herself. JMO

BTW welcome to the forum
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Welcome from Iowa to the great rural urban divide.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

@ Ghost--

I agree whole heartedly with you. My point is that the majority of Americans live in the City and just don't have the familiarity with firearms as we do. They also live with the false sense of security that is the Police. When a Deputy advises you to get a CCW, you get one, by god.

I feel that we need to re-craft the conversation, as most people just don't "get it." They've never needed guns, so they don't see the use of them. I grew up with them, and was still lulled into a false sense of security when I lived in an urban setting. Be assured, though, that now that I'm back on a ranch, the 870 with #4 buck is not far to hand.

We need, as a community, to show the majority of people that these tools are necessary. Too often, I see what we see as common sense as uncommon to the rest of the urban dwellers. In a Democratic Republic, the Majority most often holds sway. The Majority lives in the city, and doesn't see the need for the second amendment (and also don't understand grammar--the comma isn't there by accident, guys!) because the police will come and fix it for them. They are deluded, they are the "sheeple" for which we are the shephards. We need to engage these people on their terms, not ours. Framing the argument according to their point of view is MUCH more powerful than framing it from ours.

For what it's worth, I have successfully convinced 2 co-workers to get their CCW after discussion with them. True, they are only part-time CCW (I only carry it when I think I need it (EEK!)) but at least they support the right.
    1MoreGoodGuy and gatorbait51 like this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

Hi from Nashville:)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

A warm welcome from a brother to your South.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Evil I!
    Wildhorse!
    Battle Born!

greetings from The Republic of Texas
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

MJK
    Welcome from St. Louis.

There are many urban dwellers who recognize the need to carry and do so religiously. It is regretful that lots of folks - both urban and rural - choose not to. But as you said, that is their choice. I don't push my views on them and don't take kindly to them pushing theirs on me.

As an urbanite my Benelli M4 is close at hand and ready to rock if needed. I can deploy it much faster then our PD can deploy an officer, even in this setting.
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Hello! Welcome from South East Kansas!
    tcbrad98 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Welcome from Ohio!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Salutations from North Carolina.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links