First Post

This is a discussion on First Post within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi. My name is Meg. I am a stay at home mom to 19 month old K and am expecting #2. DH, David, is active ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: First Post

First Post

Hi. My name is Meg. I am a stay at home mom to 19 month old K and am expecting #2. DH, David, is active duty Air Force.

Why I'm here:

I was raised around guns. My dad made sure my brother, sister, and I all knew how to respect and handle a gun. I'm here to learn more. Growing up, I mostly viewed guns as first a means of providing food and second a means of home protection. As I've gotten older, seen more of the world, and had a child I have started to look at guns as a (but not the only) means of self defense and of defending my children. I am also interested in other means of self defense such as martial arts and a well trained dog.

David and I will be going through the Florida cwp class within the next few weeks. I do not feel that I am ready to carry yet. I need to learn more...especially about the logistics of carrying with a toddler and baby in tow. We are also still looking at options for a carry piece for me and have a few in mind. It would probably be awhile after purchasing a carry piece before I actually started to carry it. I would want to be completely comfortable with it.

So...hello!

2. Remove Ads

welcome from Wisconsin. There are a lot of smart people on this site that will be able to help you.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Welcome, you may want to take a look at the Cornered Cat website, and the youtube and facebook accounts of "Limatunes", as both are female specific resources that may have answers to some of your questions.
    JDE101 and glockman10mm like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Welcome to the forum! Ask any question you have. There are a lot of people here that give good advice.

Also, I had a lot of fun the last time I had a TDY to the Eglin area. Hope your enjoying it in that area.

VIP Member
    Welcome, Meg! I went through the same process as you are going through: Get the permit, get the right gun (involves trying out several to see what works best for you personally) and lessons, then lots of practice. THEN I was ready to carry and have been doing so ever since. I started with revolvers.

There are a few excellent videos on you tube re young children and gun-totin' mamas. I think they could be very helpful to you. Here is one by this forum's own extremely knowledeable "Lima Tunes" Carrying a Gun and a Baby - YouTube
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Maryland
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Welcome to the forum from Tennessee.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Welcome from Memphis.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Welcome aboard. Thank him for his service for us!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome to DC from N Georgia, and congrats all around.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Welcome from Western Kentucky. My daughter's husband is over seas in the Army. She has three kids and packs a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro to protect herself and her kids.

www.galleryofguns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Welcome to the forum, Meg.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia, Meg. You'll find a wealth of information here and a willingness to share the knowledge.

Limatunes' Range Diary

Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

The 2 links above are written by women. Both are a good source of information. Limatune is one of the moderators here, and I know she is the mother of 2 little ones.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links