Defensive Carry banner

Hello from Buckley, WA. (female seeking concealed handgun advise)

3K views 89 replies 70 participants last post by  hienykins 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I am a 27 year old female who recently applied for a CPL. I am looking for a concealed carry handgun. After reading several posts on here with great advise, I decided to become a member to seek more advice! Here is a little about me and what I am looking for...

* lightweight handgun that I can easily conceal
* I am left handed
* Something with low recoil as I have broken my left wrist twice
(I have shot my husband's .40 Taurus and hated every moment of it. My Brother in-laws S&W 9mm-- loved it, but to large to carry)
* I love the look/ functionality of revolvers, but am not opposed to carrying a semi-auto
* Want something that I can practice with on a regular basis as well as carry daily if needed

These guns have been recommended to me and I am seriously considering:
* Kahr PM9
* Ruger LC9 and SP101
* Beretta Nano
* Remington R51-- Does anyone know when these will be available?
* Sig Sauer P238-- Seemed to have a lack of safety features?

Anyways, If you have any advise feel free to shoot it my way.

See less See more
#2 ·
Firstly, welcome from the Swamp. Secondly, Small of the back has a few issues that ,in my opinion, preclude it from Every day carry.

S&W Shield is a good , flat choice as are any number of Glocks. Airweight revolvers are nice to carry but they have recoil issues . My oldest is a southpaw too. She has , for now , a S&W Model 36 , J frame ,5 shot revolver. You cannot go too far wrong with a Sig, either .

Best advice I could have is go try them as much as is possible. I would also stick with the .38 Special or the 9 mm. These are yeoman rounds and both will deliver on your needs as well as not beat you to death.

Otherwise, you could look at a 0.38 Super. The platforms for it are big and heavy but the round hits like a .357 and it gives you a better appreciation of enchiladas. :wink:

#86 · (Edited)
You could do far worse by not heeding the words of my good buddy ********* there gal.:yup: When I was a youngster in my 40s I carried the 357. Yozaaa seems like the only semi auto back then was the venerable 1911.:yup: It's kinda weird when I think about it. In my whole life I've only shot a 1911 45acp on 2 occasions perhaps 20 years apart. Just 2 to 4 rounds tops. I've had issues several times with large bore guns using HOT AMMO (hand loaded). One of my old buddies back then was more of a LUNATIC than I was. No one I knew back then even had a gun safe for criminy sakes!:yup: That was 20+years ago. :yup: Ken kept his guns in an old freezer or ice box he'd modified and added a huge towing chain and larger padlock to. It took him about a minute to get into it.

You might wanna take a look at a nice 357 but however you decide rent some assorted handguns wheelguns/semi too to give you an idea of your needs and or gottahaves! :yup: The sweetest 357 I ever had was a SS Rossi with soft black rubber grips 4" barrel and adj sights. Man oh man she was a Beaut!! :yup: The truly wonnerful thang about 357s is you can practice with 38Special ammo and carry 357 JHP or carry with 38Special loads. Good Luck and good shooting:yup: and Welcome to DC!

#3 ·
No on the Kimber Solo, they have had too many reliability issues.

The Sig P238 and P938 are great guns if carried in condition one in a proper holster that covers the trigger and the thumb safety so it doesn't get wiped off.

Bersa makes some good inexpensive semi-autos in .380 AP and 9mm.

Revolvers in .38 special are not bad for close up self-defense. My wife carries an S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum. The .38 specials out of it are light recoil. A heavier gun has less felt recoil.

I personally don't think any rim-fire like .22 magnums are reliable enough for self-defense. It is an option for someone who can't handle anything in a larger caliber.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum from Maryland ........................You will get lots of gun chioces here but i would say try as many as you can before you buy . You can rent them at the range and maybe your husbands friends or thier wifes may have one you can try . I think most women can carry any firearm as well as a man can and they do . I would say a compact 9mm ruger or m&p 9mm imo

#7 ·
LimaCharlie is right about the Kimbers which is unfortunate. You might go back to your local gun shop and heft a few of these . Get the feel, which I think you already have.

.22 would not be on my list.

Reactions: RickyD and 19SDS86
#8 ·
Welcome "19SDS86 "to the best CC forum on the net, and greetings from the great state of Texas. I agree with *********, SOB( small of back) may not be the most desirable method of concealed carry for you. I'm sure some of the other women here can give you some more ideas to help you find a method that will work. The little J frame S&Ws are not fun to shoot, but they are great carry guns. Some of the compact 9mm might be the best choice, and 9mm ammo is getting cheaper and easier to find. Recoil with one of these will be very manageable. Lots of good people here from all over, you'll like it here, and find answers to your questions. Glad to have you amongst us.

#9 ·
Any single stack 9mm subcompact would probably work. I actually carry a double stack 9mm, but more at 2:30. I find it easier to hide the butt of a gun underneath the girls than in the small of the back. :embarassed: I was looking at an LCR for possible carry, just not sure I'm willing to go less than 9mm. Now I'm considering a G30S instead, so over time don't be surprised if your interests change. I actually think I could conceal a G30S, it's not much bigger than the G26 which I can conceal fine.

Welcome to the Forum!

#11 ·
It seems as though every gun has it pros and cons (Duh!) But one person says "New shooter, REVOLVER!" The next says semi auto "You have more rounds to hit your subject". My opinion... If I can hit my target in 6 shots, I either need to stay home or practice more( which is why I want a carry/ target gun in one). My main concerns are the recoil, weight of the gun and current availability of ammo. What are the recoil differences of a .22 Mag vs. .38 special? I have never shot either.

#14 ·
Felt recoil is a combination of caliber, gun weight, and barrel length. A six inch barrel all steel revolver in .38 special and a two inch barrel air-weight .22 magnum revolver can have about the same felt recoil. It is all a tradeoff. A 9mm semi-auto can have less felt recoil than a .38 special revolver because some of the energy is absorbed by the slide cycling to load the next round.

#12 ·
Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. :wave: Try to rent and shoot as many different guns as you can. What suits one person and feels good to them may not "fit" another individual. My wife has a SIG 238 and loves it. I've shot it as well, and it is a great little gun. I'd like to have one myself! I do have a S&W 642 that I carry in the summer when the weather is hot and I'm wearing cargo shorts and a T-shirt or tanktop, which makes it impossible to conceal my 1911 which I carry most of the year. The 642 is a great little gun, but is not exactly a pleasure to shoot! Great for carrying, but I do not practice with it as much as I should because it is not as much fun to shoot as my 1911. And I agree with what others have said on here about small of back carry! I think you should do a lot more research on that idea. Good luck to you and welcome to "the club" of concealed carriers. :yup:

#13 ·
Welcome. You are the future and I am so glad to see young people such as yourself exhibit so much common sense and willingness to learn from some of the very knowledgable people on this site. Posts like yours give me hope.

Back on topic. My wife likes the 380 Sig and she is testing a Taurus TCP. Recoil can spoil the experience if it hurts or bothers you but not enough bullet can be bad as well. Whatever you decide----practice, practice, practice.

#23 ·
Welcome. You are the future and I am so glad to see young people such as yourself exhibit so much common sense and willingness to learn from some of the very knowledgable people on this site. Posts like yours give me hope.
Thank you! This is a controversial purchase between my family and I. I was not raised around guns and my father simply does not approve of my recent decision to purchase a gun yet alone CC. But I am 27 and have the right to make my own choices in life! I am just very cautious of making the right decision as there are so many deciding factors that play into the final purchase. So, Wish me luck!!

#15 ·
Welcome from a former Buckley resident.

You should do some rentals. Bullseye in Tacoma used to have a pretty good rental fleet, but I haven't been there for a while. The Marksman in Puyallup has a GREAT selection of stuff to look at and hold in your hand to get a feel for it. One of the widest selections of anyone close to you.

The new Glock 42 might be worth a look. XDs 9 might be worth a look. Bersa BP9CC might be worth a look.

Lots of choices out there...

#17 ·
As others have noted, I would not really keep .22 on your list unless you really cannot physically shoot a larger weapon. I own .22's and love to shoot them, but I would not carry one. There are a number of sub-compact single stack 9mm handguns out there that could meet you needs. I carry a Kahr PM9 that is very small, yet remarkably easy to shoot. You should also consider the M&P Shield, the Smith & Wesson XDS-9 and a number of other weapons. The key is trying out several guns to find one that works for you.

Welcome from GA!

#19 ·
Welcome from North Carolina. Of the guns you listed the only one I have experience with is the P238. I have both the P238 and the P938 and of the pocket-sized pistols I have tried I like both and even for their small size recoil is minimal. As others have said rent or borrow as many as you can until you find what you like. Be sure to search YouTube for some of LimaTune’s videos she has a lot of great advice for the ladies.

#20 ·
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You might try finding the revolver that you're comfy with...I disagree with the others about SOB carry, I've done it on many occasions, my SOB/IWB holsters are all 'palm out draw' and worn over the kidney, not the spine. I always ask the 'naysayers' to present articles pertaining to an injury caused by SOB carry...none have been produced. There are so many other ways to carry, though...my daughter-in-law tried regular ole' hip carry (where you have to have a belt...many women don't prefer belts) and loves it. My son and her live in IN where OC is no problem. Appendix carry may also work well for you. I would also stick with .38 or 9mm.

RET :31:

#21 ·
Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee. Your weapon must fit your hand comfortably, therefore allowing accuracy and confidence with your weapon. A well placed 22 mag is a whole lot better than a miss with a 40 or 45 cal round.

#24 ·
These guns have been recommended to me:
* Kimber Solo 9MM-- LOVE! But very expensive to shoot, meaning I wont practice as often...
* Ruger LCR .38SP+P-- Recoil?
* Sig Sauer P238-- Seemed to have a lack of safety features?
* Smith and Wesson 442 .38SP-- Recoil?
*Ruger LCR .22 Magnum-- Is it a powerful enough gun to carry?
You may wish to add to your list the New Glock 42! I can't believe I said that; recommending a Tupperware pistol! :embarassed: Another new pistol that won't break the bank is the Remington R51, so try these and see if you like any of these.

She Who Must Be Obeyed in our household has a LCR 22 Win Mag and with the correct ammunition* I would recommend it for the home, but not to conceal as I would go with the Glock 42!

* Listing on Gunbroker.com for the Speer Gold Dot short barrel 22 Win Mag ammunition goes for ± $30.00 a box of 50!

Reactions: gatorbait51
#87 ·
* Listing on Gunbroker.com for the Speer Gold Dot short barrel 22 Win Mag ammunition goes for ± $30.00 a box of 50!
Hard to find on around these parts.. but I did score some Speer HP .22WMR for $15.99 50 rounds

#26 ·
You're going to get a bunch of different answers all with the best intentions. What I suggest is use these suggestions as a "list" of guns to research further. Narrow the list down to several that you like the looks of and online reviews of - then go to a local shop and try to handle the ones you're interested in.

My suggestion is a revolver. Easy to operate, no jams - point and pull all day long. Now some folks really like airweights - really lightweight revolvers because they are so easy to carry. While this is true, their light weight makes them a bear to shoot.

My girl carries a Ruger SP101. It's a stainless steel 5 shot .357 revolver. It looks good and functions flawlessly. Try to find a bad word written about it. Since its a .357, you can also shoot .38 caliber bullets in it as well. My girl loves shooting this gun. It's fun, accurate, and easy to handle. I love shooting this gun too!

Do yourself a favor and at least look this gun up - you won't be sorry. Anyway - that's my .02.

Good luck!

#29 ·
Welcome to the forum! I have a couple of S&W's. If you can try out the Shield in 9mm. It's very compact and its comes with two different magazines. I should warn you once you get one in your hand you might not want to let go. Good luck in your search. There is lots of great information on this Forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.