Hello From NW Indiana also a Question

This is a discussion on Hello From NW Indiana also a Question within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; hello everyone i am a new member from NW Indiana Griffith to be exact. I used to have my carry license about 18 years back ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hello From NW Indiana also a Question

hello everyone i am a new member from NW Indiana Griffith to be exact. I used to have my carry license about 18 years back but i went through a divorce and went to renew it and got denied- i was never in any trouble but the local police dept where i was living at the time- East Chicago i think was the reason i got denied- even though i was never in any trouble i got the Not Proper person letter, well recently i decided to apply for a permit to carry again March 5th 2014 exactly is when i dropped the money off at Griffith police, A question for anybody from Indiana, that has applied recently- how long did it take to get the permit issued-if i am denied i plan on fighting all the way to the top if necessary. any input would be greatly appreciated.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the place with the answer, unfortunately, I'm from SC, so i will let a real expert help you out.

If you can't find what you need here, it's not ever going to be found. At least that is what I am finding.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia. Can't help with your question, I left Indiana in 1970, but I'm sure a member will be along shortly to answer it for you.

Just out of curiosity, did you apply for a 4 year permit or a lifetime?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin! Obviously I'm not from Indiana & it seems each state has its own laws concerning issuing carry licenses so I'm not able to answer your question. Your best bet is to find an attorney in your state that has knowledge of concealed carry licensing.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

RT
    Welcome from central Indiana!

Was your divorce an amicable one? If not, was there some type of restraining order entered against you? I've heard of some judges issuing them almost automatically when divorces are less than friendly. If you haven't been in any trouble, that's the only thing that comes to mind that would affect your status as a "proper person".

Edit: In response to your actual question (I just re-read your post and realized you weren't really asking about the "not a proper person letter"), I got my permit a few years ago... before everyone started rushing out to get their permits to carry and to buy up every gun and cartridge of ammo available, so my experience may not be helpful. After everything was submitted correctly (the local PDs secretary/clerk was new and failed to correctly forward my app to the ISP the first time), I received my permit in the mail in a little over a week.
    CIBMike likes this.

Welcome from Ohio.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've never known anyone in Indiana to be denied solely because they were involved in a divorce. The Not a Proper Person letter usually means that something on your application was deemed to be a false statement of material fact and/or your local LE declined you. If that turns out to be the case this time, you can appeal directly to the Indiana State Police but your odds are not good. However, unless the reason you were denied is related to a case currently in litigation, appealing will get you exactly why you were denied. It's my guess that the reason you got your Not Proper Person letter has nothing to do with your divorce (assuming there were no unusual circumstances.)

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    I've never known anyone in Indiana to be denied solely because they were involved in a divorce. ...
    Had my father attempted to get a license to carry shortly after my parents split, I guarantee he would have been denied. Even though he didn't do anything to warrant it, the judge entered a no-contact/restraining order against him on behalf of my mother, and she never asked for or gave cause for one. It's kind of weird considering she was the one who was being hostile and trying to make the divorce a nasty one. I believe the judge was way out of line, but it happens.

VIP Member
    Welcome and good luck with your new permit
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Had my father attempted to get a license to carry shortly after my parents split, I guarantee he would have been denied. Even though he didn't do anything to warrant it, the judge entered a no-contact/restraining order against him on behalf of my mother, and she never asked for or gave cause for one. It's kind of weird considering she was the one who was being hostile and trying to make the divorce a nasty one. I believe the judge was way out of line, but it happens.
    Those would be the unusual circumstances I referenced. In your parent's case, it was likely the statements she made in her filing that caused the judge to issue the order. If the OP had a similar divorce, then it may well be the reason for his denial.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Welcome from PA. Stay safe and happy carrying.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    Welcome to the place with the answer, unfortunately, I'm from SC, so i will let a real expert help you out.

If you can't find what you need here, it's not ever going to be found. At least that is what I am finding.
    No No No LuvMyPX4. There's 35 sharp guys/gals that could do more with less intel going in. Ray64 get this ??? in the right spot/ask the Mods just shoot them a PM. Try GunLaw.us (something like that). You need to understand Ray everybody and their cousins uncle is applying for CC permits these days. Granted going in for mine I had no record and it took approximately 6-8 weeks. Two photos 3 sets prints. And roughly 30 years later I am still the squeaky wheel.

Howdy Hay from NW Washington State Today.

Have faith do your due diligence and keep at it. But be prepared for the possibility...

Keep your chin up. Buku folks here to assist you.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Welcome to the forum! Sorry, Georgia, here, can't help you with Indiana.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Welcome from Washington State!
    ".... If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links