Neewbie...in sunny SW FLorida

This is a discussion on Neewbie...in sunny SW FLorida within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello Everyone! I am new to DC and, quite frankly, new to the firearms topic all together. I've always believed that as Americans we ABSOLUTELY ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Neewbie...in sunny SW FLorida

New Member Array Packer_Backer13's Avatar

Cool Neewbie...in sunny SW FLorida

Hello Everyone!

I am new to DC and, quite frankly, new to the firearms topic all together. I've always believed that as Americans we ABSOLUTELY have an uncompromisable RIGHT to bear arms, but have never felt the need to own one myself.

Well, all of that changed soon after I got married to the love of my life, last September. The thought of something happening to my wife, or future children, is something that seriously gives me nightmares. I've had my (then) girlfriend carry mace since very early on in our relationship, but with us just starting our lives now (I graduate college in Wisconsin in May and we are moving to SW Florida right after) and purchasing our own home soon and me starting my career, thus not being around nearly as much, I feel like her key chain mace isn't gonna cut it anymore to say the least.

So, I'm looking for advice on a few subjects, if y'all would be so kind...

1) Whats the best gun for my wife, ideally at least 9 mm, that is both dependable, lightweight and can be "personalized in pink or some ****, at least"?, says the wife....apparently that's a deal-breaker lol!

2) I am starting a new career where I AM allowed to be (really encouraged, actually, it's a family owned business) armed, but have to business professional clothing (dress pants, button-up dress shirt, suit jacket/blazer....no tie necessary, this is SW FL). My ideal gun is a 40 cal, possibly smaller but ideally NOT a 9 mm, that is dependable, lightweight, allows for the addition of laser sight, and can be worn discreetly in a business suit?

BOTH GUNS WOULD COST IDEALLY AROUND $1000 COMBINED...but that's certainly a little flexible

3) what is the best holster to conceal said handgun in a business suit, belt or shoulder or something else? I real do NOT want to get specially tailored pants...

THANKS!!!

I look forward to your responses..
    Exacto and BenGoodLuck like this.

2. Remove Ads

For the wife i would suggest a Smith and Wesson 9mm shield. Any gun can be personalized in colors there are a few supporters on here that do the work, you just send them the frame and/or slide and they will cerakote it and send it back. For you, since you like .40, i would suggest the shield .40 cal, or the Springfield XDs .45. Both are very concealable and great functioning guns. I would suggest a hybrid style inside the waistband holster, my personal favorite is the SHTF Gear Ace 1. But you can get an alien gear for around $30-$40. You can tuck your shirt in around it and the weapon virtually disappears. Being you will be in the Florida heat my guess is you wont have your suit jacket on all the time so shoulder carry might not be the best option.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Forgot to say welcome from SE Florida. That will be one more of us from the gunshine state.

Welcome from SE Virginia. Wife should try as many firearms as possible, finding the right one is personal. As for yourself do not rule out the 9mm. Try as many different firearms as possible to find out what works for you.

Welcome from Ohio!
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome from Washington State!
    ".... If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action."

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

Find a range that rents a variety of guns to shoot. Let your wife decide what fits her best. As for color, any poly frame gun and most metal frame guns can be color customized. Same for you on choosing a gun. Shoot as many as you can before deciding. Since you don't want to alter the size of your pants, I'd suggest either OWB (outside the waist band) or shoulder holster. Just remember, going with those styles will require you to keep your coat on at all times. If you go OWB, one of the most important things will be a high quality gun belt to support the weight.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from SW Florida, Estero to be exact. I would have the wife try different weapons and see what fits her best. I surprised my wife with a S&W 9 compact....she has small hands. Long story short......she has a HK45 and does well with it. For yourself as others have said try the M&P shield or the XDs .45. Depending on the size of your hands, it may not be right for you. I do understand the concealing part. Wear the clothes that you would be wearing when you go and look and see what doesn't print. I found the XDs .45 way to small for my hands and the recoil was raspy being such a small frame. Just my .$02

Campy
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Welcome from Savannah
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Welcome from West Virginia! Best of luck in your new career and move to FL. There are lots of forum members from FL. and you'll get plenty of good advice.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Greetings From Richmond/Rosenberg, TX

My personal preference is the Ruger SR40C. it is very concealable and is 9+1 and a 15 round spare magazine. i would also recommend the M&P Shield , or a Ruger LC9 or the Beretta Nano. but there are many people who have no problem concealing mid to full size firearms in business casual.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Welcome from Wisconsin ...
    If you can read this thank a teacher .... If its in English thank a veteran. ..
    NRA member. ..

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house! As to #1 in your questions: Get to a range, rent a bunch of guns both in the .38, .380, and 9mm. Heck she may even be a .40 or .45 girl...the thing is you don't know and can't make that call for her. Let her try a bunch and make the decision based on fit, feel, history of proven reliability and then price and pink stuff. She will never know what she likes until she's tried 5-7 different firearms both in semi-auto AND revolvers. My subjective answer is either a Shield or something in .38 special. As to #2...repeat above for yourself. The S&w Shield in .40 is cool b/c you can buy a 9mm conversion barrel and have two for the price of one...Sweet! And to #3...there are a ton of great makers both in kydek and leather. I have the FoxX Trapp for my Shield 9. Totally dig it.

But as to all of these questions you are going to get a ton of great answers that are all different. It will be sound/wise advice. However, you both have to research, get to the range, shoot/shoot/shoot, research some more, and then pull the proverbial trigger.

Last but not least scower this forum and its hundreds of threads on your 3 different questions. Tons and tons of great insight here...years and years of experience behind it all. Good luck!
    Last edited by srings; March 29th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Welcome from PA. Stay safe and happy carrying.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links