noobie

noobie

This is a discussion on noobie within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; New guy here. New CC holder as well. I am 66 and not built even to arm wrestle Pee Wee Herman. But I can shoot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: noobie

noobie

New guy here. New CC holder as well.
    I am 66 and not built even to arm wrestle Pee Wee Herman. But I can shoot OK.
    My CC permit will arrive in a week or so. Before I applied I spent a considerable amount of time (~2 yrs!) on gun and self-defense blogs (including reading this one). Concealed carry seemed to be a giant can of worms, so I took my time. It seems to me that the most important course for me once I get the permit might be “How To Defend Yourself and Stay Out of Prison.” Half of me for a long time asked, “Do I really want to get into this?” The other half contemplates me all beat up, lying on the floor, with my wife lying on the floor after being raped etc. etc.] The second half finally won out.

I don’t want to make my first post long and boring, so I’ll just say this. Carrying a gun looks like a crapshoot. From my reading, my best bets are to be ready to run away from trouble, or take any number of insults (even to my wife), meanwhile finding a good lawyer, and maybe investing in self-defense insurance (Second Call looks pretty good. Does anyone know anything about it?), then hope for a neutral jury after I have (justifiably) shot some rich dude’s loved one, so as to be ruined by him financially in a civil suit, even if I am acquitted twice. Surely seems like double jeopardy to me.

My carry piece (for my pocket--works great!) is a Ruger LCR in 38 sp, loaded with Hornady XTP 38+P ammo. I thought about this little gun ever since it came out (I think it was 2009). I waited until this year so as to be able to read some reviews. This little gun is the second woman in my life. Out of the box I blasted away (38 sp, two hands, shootin' slow) at 7 yards to get a 4 inch group with the first four rounds (saving the fifth for an ammo check), hardly even trying. This trigger practically shoots itself. S W E E E E T.

Anyway, enough gushing. That’s my first bleat.
    I hope to learn a lot from all you folks!

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from Pennsyl-tucky and nice choice for SD firearm
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Distinguished Member
    Hello and welcome.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Hi 44hooter! Welcome to the forum from Texas. This is a great place to learn and to share! I carry a 3rd Gen Glock 30 SF. Congrats on making the important decision to carry and to defend yourself and your loved ones.

CANT
    ---------
    Carry Always, Never Tell!

Quote Originally Posted by 44hooter View Post
    New guy here. New CC holder as well...Concealed carry seemed to be a giant can of worms, so I took my time...Carrying a gun looks like a crapshoot. From my reading, my best bets are to be ready to run away from trouble, or take any number of insults (even to my wife), meanwhile finding a good lawyer...I hope to learn a lot from all you folks!
    You hit the nail on the head. Situation awareness and situation avoidance along with de-escalation are the keys to staying safe. Having to use your gun to defend yourself should be the absolutely last resort.

You have come to the best place to learn and to share. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and caring people on the forum.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the forum, enjoy!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member
    You picked the best CC forum on the net "44hooter". Welcome and greetings from the great state of Texas. There's lots and lots of good folks here from all over. You can learn much here, I have. You're gonna like it here. We old guys gotta stick together.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome aboard from Orygun! Having a gun available is just a last resort tool. Act like you would if you didn't have a gun with you until it is critical to use it.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from Alabama
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Welcome from Rhode Island!

Student of the gun (dot) com
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hi from TN. Theres a reason they call our Mountains "The Smokeys", yah know.

Welcome from KS.

As far as your concerns about IF to carry, WHEN to carry, ...etc.
    Here are some thoughts I have:

1) Avoid trouble. If you can't seek cover!
    2) My weapon is to protect me and my family. For everyone else, I'll be a good witness.
    3) Carry cellphone and pistol.

I have a liability insurance policy (not thru Second Call) AND lawyers phone #s in my phone. I should write those down and keep with my CCL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links