How to obtain proper permits.

This is a discussion on How to obtain proper permits. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I live in NYC and I'm really interested in obtaining my concealed carriers license. I'm hoping a big gun junkie could help me out by ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: How to obtain proper permits.

I live in NYC and I'm really interested in obtaining my concealed carriers license. I'm hoping a big gun junkie could help me out by giving me some advice in this field. What is the best way, by best I mean least expensive and quickest way to get the permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

In all honesty, the quickest and easiest way is to move. Seriously.

Next, become rich and famous, or become really good friends with the mayor.

Almost no one gets a NYC permit.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

He is NOT kidding!
    tcox4freedom, Parrisk and darbo like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum and good luck, you're going to need it.

Look into one of those U Pack, We Move type deals, I think ABF Freight and Old Dominion do them.
    DanielC likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I will make it simply you wont get a permit to carry in NYC unless hell freeze over ... If your lucky you maybe can get a permit to carry cash during certian hours if you handle a lot of cash or such ..But unless you are a famouse perosn or a cop/ex cop you wont get one period ..

In Ny state maybe you can get one but it wont be vailid in NYC period ..

So if you can move .. Heck AZ/AK/VT and others dont even need a permit to carry
    DingBat and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

As a result of the 1911 Sullivan Act, New York is a "may-issue" state, in that the individual licensing official (typically a local police chief or sheriff) has discretion to issue a license or permit to possess handguns, or carry a concealed firearm. The licensing authority may require the licensee go through firearms training and education, or dictate the conditions under which a permit holder can possess handguns or carry a concealed weapon. Unlike other "may issue" states where permits are typically valid statewide regardless of the locality in which they are issued, New York State concealed carry permits are not automatically valid statewide, and some localities do not recognize permits issued from elsewhere in the state. Some other localities will only recognize permits issued from jurisdictions with similar standards for granting permits, while other jurisdictions will recognize any valid New York State permit, regardless of where it was issued. Additionally, New York does not recognize concealed carry permits issued by any other state, and non-residents are generally forbidden from obtaining a New York State permit.

The varied New York licensing and permit authorities has resulted in confusing handgun licensing policies, which a licensee must nevertheless abide by when outside the jurisdiction of permit issuing authority. For example, regardless of license, all New York residents with a concealed carry permit must still obtain a New York State Pistol License, apply for a purchase document for each handgun purchased, and may possess only those handguns the license holder has registered with the state.[5][6]

Of all the states that issue carry pistol licenses, New York State has arguably the strictest handgun licensing policies in the nation.[9] New York City has even stricter laws, including those regulating firearms exclusively kept at home, thereby making it difficult to virtually impossible for ordinary citizens to obtain, possess, or carry firearms lawfully within New York City. In effect, New York City's restrictive firearms policies amount to a near-total ban on the acquisition, transport or possession of firearms by average citizens who reside in the city.[10] Permits have been issued, however, to a small number of celebrities, politicians, attorneys and other well-connected individuals. The combined non-refundable fees required to apply for a New York City concealed carry permit average around $5,000, with no guarantee the applicant will actually be issued a permit.

The constitutionality of many of New York's restrictive firearms laws, including the newly enacted SAFE Act, are being challenged by lawsuits at the state and federal levels.

As a result of the 1911 Sullivan Act, New York is a "may-issue" state, in that the individual licensing official (typically a local police chief or sheriff) has discretion to issue a license or permit to possess handguns, or carry a concealed firearm. The licensing authority may require the licensee go through firearms training and education, or dictate the conditions under which a permit holder can possess handguns or carry a concealed weapon. Unlike other "may issue" states where permits are typically valid statewide regardless of the locality in which they are issued, New York State concealed carry permits are not automatically valid statewide, and some localities do not recognize permits issued from elsewhere in the state. Some other localities will only recognize permits issued from jurisdictions with similar standards for granting permits, while other jurisdictions will recognize any valid New York State permit, regardless of where it was issued. Additionally, New York does not recognize concealed carry permits issued by any other state, and non-residents are generally forbidden from obtaining a New York State permit.

The varied New York licensing and permit authorities has resulted in confusing handgun licensing policies, which a licensee must nevertheless abide by when outside the jurisdiction of permit issuing authority. For example, regardless of license, all New York residents with a concealed carry permit must still obtain a New York State Pistol License, apply for a purchase document for each handgun purchased, and may possess only those handguns the license holder has registered with the state.[5][6]

Of all the states that issue carry pistol licenses, New York State has arguably the strictest handgun licensing policies in the nation.[9] New York City has even stricter laws, including those regulating firearms exclusively kept at home, thereby making it difficult to virtually impossible for ordinary citizens to obtain, possess, or carry firearms lawfully within New York City. In effect, New York City's restrictive firearms policies amount to a near-total ban on the acquisition, transport or possession of firearms by average citizens who reside in the city.[10] Permits have been issued, however, to a small number of celebrities, politicians, attorneys and other well-connected individuals. The combined non-refundable fees required to apply for a New York City concealed carry permit average around $5,000, with no guarantee the applicant will actually be issued a permit.

The constitutionality of many of New York's restrictive firearms laws, including the newly enacted SAFE Act, are being challenged by lawsuits at the state and federal levels.

There is no trick or special way to carry in NYC .. Unless your rich and famous or a cop you are not going to carry all the time .. Maybe if your lucky you can carry a few hours for a job but that is a big if..

So if you can just move ... Also note of course how long it takes to even get a handgun in NYC or that it can only hold 7 rounds etc etc
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Oh and welcome from AZ .. Wish you luck and hope you know someone in power in that city

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    I will make it simply you wont get a permit to carry in NYC unless hell freeze over ... If your lucky you maybe can get a permit to carry cash during certian hours if you handle a lot of cash or such ..But unless you are a famouse perosn or a cop/ex cop you wont get one period ..

In Ny state maybe you can get one but it wont be vailid in NYC period ..

So if you can move .. Heck AZ/AK/VT and others dont even need a permit to carry
    is OC legal in AZ? how is AZ about NFA stuff?
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

As said above, your options:

Move.
    Get hired as an LEO.
    If you have multi-millions, buy a high-level politician.
    If you don't have multi-millions, provide "services" to a high-level politician.

Welcome from Washington State!
    ".... If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action."

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    About everthing is legal here ... I can and have OC 6 inch Kbars and 92 brettas when I was hiking ...

You do not need a permit here to OC or CC in most places ( save bars ) in AZ .. We have no written law on knifes unless used in a crime .. We also have state wide premtaion on kinfe and gun laws .. There is no limit on knife type either so auto knifes/daggers etc are all legal to carry OC or CC

NFA is just dandy here and we have a lot of it (heck my small town gun store can custom build SBR/SBS for you and if you need a machine gun or cannon he know people ..) ... Nothing more needed then the Gov stamp for it .

We have no limits on mags or gun types here ... And if you have a permit to carry you can skip the NCIC check and a gun store .. Of course PPT sales are prefectly legal here as well ..

I think about the only thing that is is IFFY here is nunchucks ( no I am not kidding )

Also AZ and UT CCW cover most of the USA that allows carry ( save NV/CA and other not so free states )

I think the only point of issue here is carry in Librayrs and others state owned building and on Res land ( which we do have a lot of ) .. But other then that and the usally places ( sentise gov/state placs power plants etc ) one can carry most anywhere that is not posted ..

Bit easier to get and carry here then in NYC I will tell you that .. Sorry about your Sit OP
    BenGoodLuck and DingBat like this.

Distinguished Member
    NY is a may issue state. This means that your approval is at the whim of whatever bureaucrat handles the application. My admittedly limited understanding is that you have to provide 'just cause' for 'needing' to carry, whatever that is supposed to mean. NYC also has a 3 year limit on licenses, meaning you will need to renew every 3 years if you are lucky enough to be blessed by those on high.

Unfortunately, you live in one of the most onerous and overbearing states in the union when it comes to the 2-A. Too many people there do not see that the 2-A is a personal liberty.

Welcome to the forum, I just wish that our first recommendation wasn't to move...
    WrongRecroom likes this.

VIP Member
    First off welcome to the forum from Maryland , NY you can get a permit but when you say NYC i say you will have to be a celeb. or a high ranking official with lots of bread and be plugged in .

Otherwise you have more of a shot to win the powerball for 600 million .
    WrongRecroom and RickyD like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    OC has been legal in AZ since probably Territorial days. These days you don't even need a CCW to carry concealed, although a lot of restrictions (like being within 1000 feet of a school zone) make the CCW worthwhile.

NFA stuff is not a big deal here, either. The only difficulty I've heard of is down around Tucson, where there are some left-leaning LEOs who aren't happy to sign off on the paperwork. But at the ranges or out in the desert, you frequently hear "group therapy" mode.
    BenGoodLuck and WrongRecroom like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links