First Time Gun Owner from CALI (commie state)

This is a discussion on First Time Gun Owner from CALI (commie state) within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello Everyone. First time gun owner (Glock 17), gun newbie here. I've joined a Glock forum just last week but decided to join here as ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: First Time Gun Owner from CALI (commie state)

First Time Gun Owner from CALI (commie state)

Hello Everyone. First time gun owner (Glock 17), gun newbie here. I've joined a Glock forum just last week but decided to join here as well because quite frankly, whenever I google stuff about guns, I frequently end up here. Sure CCW doesn't really apply to me since I'm just a regular Joe in Cali, but this place seems to be a thriving community of friendly folks so here I am.

Anyways, me even having a gun is a miracle. It took me 8 months of convincing to my wife to let me own a gun. Even before we got married (couple of years ago) she was very firm with her view in gun ownership, and that owning a gun = deal breaker. And then with a new boy now about 6 months old, it was a double deal breaker lol. But, I put up a compelling case and wrote her this 2 page letter/email describing why I wanted a gun (new hobby), why it was important to have one (protection and problem deterrent), and how I would take the responsibility of gun ownership very seriously (training, safe storage, house rules). I linked Yelp reviews on gun safety/defense training courses I was going to take, Amazon reviews on safes I was going to buy, and preached my house rules over and over. Anyways, it was my best essay yet. This was about 10 months ago and she told me to give her some time to think about it, and about 2 months ago, she finally said YES! It was like my wedding day proposal all over again lol.

Anyways, this is very exciting times for me. I think about my Glock a lot when I'm working, driving, eating, whatever. So naturally I like doing field-strips on it daily and dry firing the hell out of it. Perhaps it's premature but I already replaced a few minor parts, i.e. extended mag release, extended slide release, beaver tail, truglo sights, and 3.5 lb connector. I just loved working on it period.

I actually don't mind the 5lb default trigger, but when I shot my first 200 rounds my aim was horrible. But after some youtube videos, I figured out I was so tense in my grip that each trigger pull would cause me to jerk the gun a bit, minuscule amounts but you that equates to inches off your target. I wanted more of a smooth trigger so I opted to go with the 3.5 connector, though I hear the difference is really only about .5 lbs. I just did this last week and I've yet to live fire.

Oh and I love my home state, but man I didn't realize Cali was such a commie state when it comes to guns. I already mentioned the CCW stuff, but I really wanted a gen 4 but as you know it's illegal here. Of course there's that one exception to the rule (single shot exemption). But at the time the store didn't even have it, and I just really wanted instant satisfaction owning a gun right there and then.

Anyways, sorry for being all over the place with a simple intro but I look forward to interacting with more of you and hope to stay here long.

And yes, I'm a big fan of Napoleon Hill. G'yeah!

P.S. - I'm going to my first tactical training course...err....rather I just became a member of Frontsight near Vegas and I'm very excited about that!

P.P.S. - I only shot like 500 rounds total on my Glock but I already want another gun. Is that normal??? I want a 45, a shot gun, and a rifle. My wife will kill me. Baby steps....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    first..WELCOME!

Second... HAHAHAHA!

Third, i joined the same way, even though i been a gun nut since i was old enough to hold one, i still joined this place "cuz it kept popping up in searches"

fourth- yes, wanting another is normal

fifth- beware the dry firing and handling of the gun everyday... not saying you can't or shouldn't , but as a newbie, even with your "house rules"(which are??) --well, see all the threads on this Page about ND's. seems about once every other week somebody is blowing a hole in their wall, dresser, garage, basement or whatever, and usually it's somebody fairly new to guns. this would definately hurt the case with your Significant Other...

sixth- the best way i've found to get a hesitant woman(or man) on board w/ guns is twofold- a) take them shooting b) show them horror stories of folks who couldn't defend themselves, preferably in the area you live.

seventh- WELCOME!!
    napoleonhill and NONAME762 like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Welcome from Wisconsin ...
    If you can read this thank a teacher .... If its in English thank a veteran. ..
    NRA member. ..

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    haha, funny and related. another member just posted this. some won't work for you, but i bet a bunch will!!!

32 excuses to buy a new gun
    Kennydale likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Welcome from Texas

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>
    not sure about your gun laws but the weather is better than ours!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good post...you worked for it. Lots to learn here and welcome from SE Virginia.

Welcome to the forum from Tennessee.

Welcome to Defensive Carry The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Welcome to the forum! :wave
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Holy Crapola I can't believe I am where I am. I am just an old cantankerous Redneck but give a 1911 a serious look see.

If a 1911 won't do it for you get a PDW or SMG in .45ACP.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

The HK UMP45 suppressed with out of sight optics Rocks.

Old folks Know Stuff.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on doing the research and excellent presentations(s) to your wife to convince her that truly responsible gun ownership is really the best insurance policy you can have for your family.

Not sure it will be THAT easy to convince her that you need all the other guns you are going to really want after discovering the joy of shooting! Good luck with that.
    napoleonhill likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links