New with Thoughts and Question

This is a discussion on New with Thoughts and Question within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; 24 year old male from Idaho. Fairly familiar with weapons. Looking for advice and willing to learn. Trying to decide which handgun will work best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New with Thoughts and Question

New with Thoughts and Question

24 year old male from Idaho. Fairly familiar with weapons. Looking for advice and willing to learn.

Trying to decide which handgun will work best for me in terms of training and home defense. I'm not planning on carrying my training gun due to size etc. I'd have to get a more reasonable size gun for that.

I've owned an HKUPS45 and it's the only gun I'm more familiar with than others (but I've shot Glock, SIG, SW etc.) The large grip of the HK just seems to fit my hand better than most (could palm NBA size basketball Freshmen year in Highschool).

Anyway here are a few thoughts, if you have a moment I welcome your replys and help.

1. I am not recoil sensitive, I have quite strong hands, no problem shooting small glock 45 or other semi auto 45s. But can't decide on which cabliber I should buy (likely to purchase HK anyway regardless of caliber).
    2. 45 ammo is more expensive than 9mm, if I really get into shooting I don't want to limit myself because the ammo gets expensive.
    3. God forbid if I am in a situation when I need a gun to defend my life here are the two generic scenarios that play out in my head.
    A. I have a gun and they do not. In this case the round capacity of the gun shouldn't make much difference, and I really hope given this situation I don't need to fire 1 round let alone the capacity of the mag.
    B. I have a gun and they have a gun. Here is where I see an advantage in the smaller (more capacity) 9mm. Hopefully I'd be completely composed in this situation but I really doubt it, with my adrelaline going and all my guess is that I'll miss quite a bit and those extra rounds might help.

I am slightly less accurate with a .45 than I am with a 9mm. Overall my accuracy is far better than most people with such little experience (as per the guys at the local shooting range).

The same topics apply for my conceal carry gun (should I choose to go that route) but I am adimant that I become very knowledgeable and proficient with a full size handgun before even thinking about concealed carry.

Cost isn't an issue for the handgun (although I think it might come into play with the ammo).

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Remove Ads

Try the Kimber ultra carry II. .45 cal an fits big hands. Lots of choices for 9mm.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Why would you accept a lessor gun for home defense than you will for carry?

The same gun on my hip defends my house as far as a handgun can , there is no choices here till you bump up to rifle.
    Personaly i carry a 9 , its cheap and i feel with placement it will do anything any other cal will . Others may well have different opinions, but the gun that is in " a reach and a grab " at home is my carry gun , and a rifle. at 2 am i answer the door with both .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

welcome

Cool Welcome from southern Louisiana

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Assistant Administrator
    Greetings

Try a few searches on ''what gun'' type theme or even specific gun lables - it is a popular subject - of course Might assist a bit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Welcome from Rocky Top Tennessee. Your choice of hand gun should be the weapon that fits your hand most comfortably and with which you have a high degree of accuracy and confidence. Try everything that you can before setteling on one weapon. An aside thought is that a good 22LR pistol is fun to practice with and rather inexpensive too. I usually fire several boxes of 22LR for every box of my primary CCH. It seems to be good for the Hand/Eye coordination, at least IMHO.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome from West Tennessee!

I agree with Old Chief, a 22lr pistol can really be fun and can help with just the basics of shooting. We have a Ruger MKII with the bull barrel and we probably shoot it more than just about any of the other guns we own.

I would also echo the comments made about the gun you choose should fit your hand and be one you feel you can be confident in using. With out that, you can't hope to be proficient with it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee...as for handgun choice, my fellow Tennesseans have already said it well!

VIP Member
    Hi there.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Welcome to the forum.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Kimber Ultra for EDC here...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    Welcome from Rocky Top Tennessee. Your choice of hand gun should be the weapon that fits your hand most comfortably and with which you have a high degree of accuracy and confidence. Try everything that you can before setteling on one weapon. An aside thought is that a good 22LR pistol is fun to practice with and rather inexpensive too. I usually fire several boxes of 22LR for every box of my primary CCH. It seems to be good for the Hand/Eye coordination, at least IMHO.
    Welcome from Oregon. Old Chief says it best, practice with anything. Just practice. I remember my father sorting out ammunition from seizures and giving it to deputies who had those calibers to dispose of it. He was a range instructer for his department and was always encouraging all of the deputies to get out and practice shooting. It didn't matter the calibers, the concepts were the same universally.

Since you have such large hands have you considered looking at a 10mm. The ammunition if you shop around is not over the top in pricing, especially compared to .45 and you might find a new large caliber that you like that will have some options in compacts for your size. Just a thought.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Welcome from Washington. Choose a gun or a type of gun that feels comfortable Practice till it becomes a part of you. Use the same gun for all things. remember "beware the man who only has one gun".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links