Help with Carry Weapon - Page 2

Help with Carry Weapon

This is a discussion on Help with Carry Weapon within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; from Central Florida! I am a retired educator and I understand the difficulty of wanting to carry 24/7...but cannot at the school. After moving from ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Carry Weapon

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I am a retired educator and I understand the difficulty of wanting to carry 24/7...but cannot at the school.
    After moving from MI to FL 6 years ago, I began to carry 24/7 until last year when I was looking for something to do and took a h.s. teaching position (didn't want any more admin). This took a bite out of my 24/7 carry routine...

I have tried several pistols for CCW. I tried and sold a few from the Taurus line...didn't like them for various reasons.

You did mention two...that are now close friends of mine. My EDC (every day carry) is now a Kimber Ultra CDP II, and it is a fantastic weapon...never a problem. (I also have the Kimber Pro CDP II, but that's just an extra...)
    My other favorite 'friend' is my Glock-36. I sometimes carry the G, but my real companion is the Ultra. I know at least three other individuals with Ultra's also...and all think it is a fine weapon.

Some individuals will speak negatively about Kimber, but you will find those 'vibes' about any weapon...and that includes Wilson's too!
    Remember, if it's mechanical...a lemon can emerge once in a while. Just as with cars, some like Ford's others bad mouth them, same for Chevy's, Honda's, etc...you get the picture.

Try several, what fits your hand, what looks good to YOU, etc...

If I had to start all over again, it would definitely be with a Kimber!

Also, regardless of what you purchase, take a self-defense pistol class (or two or three) somewhere and become 'one' with your weapon.

Now you have my $.02...

Enjoy the search...looking is SOME of the fun...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Special Note...

Quote Originally Posted by yodapsych View Post
    The Glock feels like a brick when I hold it, the XD much better but it is also 4 in barrell and the hold is 1.2 " longer than the glock 30.

I will look at the Dan Wesson, the Detonics and the XD again this mp. (along with the PO1)
    All Glocks felt like bricks to me also...until I latched onto the G-36...give that one a grasp...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from Pennsylvania and thank you for your service.

As plblark mentioned, throw the Smith and Wesson M&P into the mix. You'll notice it has been gaining popularity. I have a full size M&P in 9mm. I don't carry it and am not sure if I ever will. I have found the 1911 much more comfotable and endearing.

In the end, as continously echoed on this forum, it all comes down to what works for you.

VIP Member
    Welcome from SE Missouri.

Yodapsych -

Lots of good opinions here. The quality 1911s (Kimber, Springfield, Detonics, some others) are good. Glocks are good. So are Sigs.

I wrote a while back about my search for a backup gun. My thought processes may help your thinking.

Bill

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Check out the Colt Defender in 45 or the Commander. Lot's of good 1911 style guns out there if you are comfortable carrying cocked and locked.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Interesting information and recommendations. I tried the XD 45 today and it sure felt good. Unfortunately they don't have a Kimber ultra cdp to try, but it sure felt good holding it at the counter. I tried the Glock 30 and 36, again brick feeling, but I liked the trigger pull (maybe I got lucky on both these guns)

Question?: I have heard that putting a Hogue grip would help the feel of the Glock. I also heard that it creates hang issues with bunching of clothing. What say ye??

Question?: Anybody have opinions about the Blackhawk serpa holster. I own 1 over the shoulder rig for the M9.

Thanks again for the help!

Welcome -
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Yodaphych, Looking For What Feels Good In Your Hand Is Second To What Should Come First. Reliebility And Function. I Like To Keep It Simple, Hicap Mags Are Nice, However I Find Single Sacks To Be More Dependable.as In Your S&w 39 (9mm) Or Your Colt 1911 (45 Acp).buy Wisely.

Dude check out the Para Ordinance Slim Hawg. It's the best little .45 I've ever owned. Once you hold it you'll fall in love and it's the most accurate gun I have. 1000+ rounds with no malfunctions AT ALL. Nice for concealed carry because...well...it's slim, hence the name. Awesome gun for about $750 and will last you a lifetime
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

VIP Member
    Hello.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    welcome from Texas
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome to the forum. As a retired military you are probably already familiar with the 1911 and if you are like me, I loved the 1911 so had no hesitation about getting a 1911. I loved it and now with 6 of 'em, I have no regrets. I think the best value in firearms today is the Taurus PT1911. Give it some consideration.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links