Help with Carry Weapon

This is a discussion on Help with Carry Weapon within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I would first like to tell you how informative this site has been , as I have monitored it for the last few days. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Carry Weapon

Help with Carry Weapon

I would first like to tell you how informative this site has been , as I have monitored it for the last few days.

I am in a terrible state. For the past monh I have bee trying to figure out what would be the best pistol for me to purchase as my first concealed weapon (my permit should arrive in the mail any day!).

My wife is starting to get frustrated with my constant talking about and reading different materials about guns (it sounds like this may be a normal situation with many of you).

I retired from the military 10 years ago and now work in the school system. I have owned a Beretta M9 since my Army days, and recently purchased a Ruger MKIIIhunter 22 for practice (my wife was beginning to question my frequent purchases at the local range).

My dilemma is what to purchase as a first concealed weapon. I will not be able to carry at school or at the hospital, but intend to carry the rest of the time.

I am leaning towards the Kimber Ultra CDP, but have not ruled out anything. I am also looking at the Springfield 4" XD, Glock 30 or 36, and Kimber ultra II. I want to keep it below 1100 because it is my first and I have jumped arould so much.

Please help. I have watched some amzing discussion and hope that you can give mesome advice.

Confused but excited yodapsych??

2. Remove Ads

Welcome.

Firstly, realize that any first gun isn't going to be an only gun or your last gun. They are very good at telling you to go out and bring more home.
    But as most people, myself included, can't buy all the guns they want whenever they want you do have to over-think purchases somewhat.
    The best advice is rent guns, borrow guns and handle as many guns as you can.
    After all, we may have very firm opinions about our carry weapons but your mileage WILL vary.

Good luck, hope you get a good one.

What are the elements of concealed carry most important to you? The features of a gun most important to you? What would you be willing to give up in order to get something else?

Without further info, I'd say: Go with what you know.

There are all kinds of great guns for far less than $1100. I've got a CZ P01 9mm and it's wonderful. My goals were: absolute, utter reliability, first and foremost. Without that, all else is meaningless. The P01 is that. Second, fit. If it doesn't fit my hand and my mode of dress/concealment, it's not worth much. Third, it can't be a big dogpile of a weapon, 'cause if I cannot bring it to bear when needed it's simply going to get me killed. The P01 fits each of those well, for me.

Taurus has their Millennium carry line; S&W has their M&P line; and Springfield's XD line if pistols seems to be very popular here. Many folks swear by either Springfield or Kimber for their 1911 pistols. I was looking hard at a mid-sized Kimber (Pro CDP II) and Springfield (Lightweight Commander) last year, but opted for the CZ P01 instead, given the overall match to my criteria. YMMV, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks

I am going to look at the PO1 at the range tomorrow. I am very openminded right now. One factor that I did not mention was that I wanted the gun to be a 45.

The Taurus Millennium Pro comes in .45ACP. The Millennium is one I considered last year before deciding on the P01. If you like polymer frames, this one packs a good number of rounds into the package. In .45ACP, it's 22oz unloaded. It's 1.25" wide, so it does take up some space, but otherwise it's short in the other dimensions. The P01 is also about that wide, and I find it simple to conceal. Of course, any 1911 is going to be slimmer.

The 9mm P01's cousin is the now-discontinued 40P (in .40cal), or the baby brother 2075 RAMI, also in 9mm. No .45ACP's in the lot. Nicely, though, there is a very nice bullet that suits the P01 well: the DoubleTap +P Gold Dots, in either 115gr, 124gr or 147gr. In the 115gr flavor, it packs 511 ft-lbs and 1400 fps, with low flash and smoke.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator

Well, if you said that you want a .45 and want to keep it under 1,100 then that means you're willing to spend 12 for a firearm that you really don't hafta sink another penny into.
    I would go with a Detonics ServiceMaster Compact.
    It's Stainless - decent sights - perfect for carry as is. No modifications necessary.
    No MIM (metal injected molded) parts and hi quality internals.
    That would be the one I would pick as best money spent for an every day carry .45

CLICK HERE TO GO TO DETONICS USA

Sorry, I personally still won't trust my life to any firearm with the Taurus name.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

First, welcome to the board from a member in West Tennessee!

Next, as a guy who has recently (in the last month or so) bought a Glock 23, AND owned an XD .40sc, that is until my wife claimed it for her own, I can tell you this: you can't really go wrong with either the Glock or XD.

Go hold both and choose which one fits your hand better. The grip on the XD fits my hand better but the Glock is just amazing accuracy for me.

Pick the one you like the feel of best and the one you will carry every day.

Good luck.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Cool Welcome from southern Louisiana!

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Welcome from North Alabama

Welcome to the forums...

If you are thinking a 1911 take a look at the Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail Commander (CBOB) - they can be had for around $825 online and are VERY easy to carry.

VIP Member
    There is no reason in the world not to carry your m9 other than you want a new one.
    Welcome to the forum.

The Glock feels like a brick when I hold it, the XD much better but it is also 4 in barrell and the hold is 1.2 " longer than the glock 30.

I will look at the Dan Wesson, the Detonics and the XD again this mp. (along with the PO1)

Is there a range nearby that rents handguns? I would try to shoot as many of the pistols you are interested in as possible. You will likely find that some feel better that others.

I have a 4" XD .45 compact. The grip is about 3/4" shorter than the Service model. Might be worth a look if you like the way the XD feels.
    Sprinfield XD 4" .45 Compact
    Blackhawk SERPA

Carry what you're comfortable with is the best advice.

That said, there are some real world considerations. My dad has a Beretta 92/96 and it is significantly bulkier than either the XD or the 1911 I've carried. It adds some considerations to concealment but can be pulled off with some dressing around the gun. I find IWB works best for me with the Beretta. Then again, I prefer IWB most times but will occasionally OWB with the 1911.

When considering the Glock / XD, throw the S&W M&P into the mix. IMnsHO they're out glocking the glock. I've shot the .40 and .40 Compact and really like the feel ofg them. I'll get used to no safety device soon. The XD does have the grip safety if that's a consideration.

If I haven't muddied the waters enough already, add in a pocket revolver. More "organic" shape doesn't print as much like a gun, it's accessible if you think ahead a little. It can be nonchalant to place your hand into a jacket pocket and get a full combat grip without anyone being the wiser. Heck, with the hammerless models you could even shoot from the pocket if it came down to that.

I find myself carrying the pocket revolver a bit more than the 1911 IWB. YMMV.

As always, go with what feels best for you, fits your mode of dress and meets your needs.

Good luck.
    Last edited by plblark; March 12th, 2007 at 10:39 AM.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Welcome from Rocky top Tennessee and a retired USN Sailor
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links