New license - Page 2

New license

This is a discussion on New license within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi Guys! Thanks for all the graet advice acparmed!!!!!! I think I was able to glean a pretty decent statement from that material. "short and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New license

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the graet advice acparmed!!!!!! I think I was able to glean a pretty decent statement from that material. "short and sweet" Just like she asked for. I work for the city as a health Inspector and have several local officers as references. Hopefully all goes well. They do have a class A restriction for home protection and they claim to be able to "upgrade" it after a probationary period. I also have to wait 40 days for "processing". They make you run the gauntlet but I'll let you know how I make out! Thanks again!

1952 - 2006
    You're welcome LPguy, I hope it all goes well for you. If you ever have any other questions, I'm sure that someone here will be able to find you some answers.

Good Luck
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

LenS,
    true, my Bro, but one thing I have noticed at least around my area is that the leo's tend to 'overlook' small 'indescretions'. 99.99% of all leo's I have dealt with are cool with toters, even in places that are technically no-no's. Some of that has been due to not knowing the letter of the laws themselves, but most due to plain ol' coolness on the leo's part. These guys down here want law abiding citizens armed. yeah, ya run across an overzealous political type now and again, but the rank and file know that they cant be everywhere at all times and that we are responsible for our own safety.
    As a side note: to all the leo's who helped with the missing (now found dead) 9 year old in Homassassa, THANK YOU.

Dan

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    JD,

FL is a bit more relaxed than MA on firearms.

However, I had planned a trip down to Miami for a LE convention in December 2001 and they had planned ride-alongs with Miami-Dade during the convention. So I got the FL CCW and learned of the restriction on carrying in a PD. I contacted our counterparts at Miami-Dade SO and couldn't get a straight answer on would we or would we not be allowed to carry on the ride-along. 9/11 caused me to not go down anyway.

A few years ago during one of these ride-alongs, one of the Philly POs and the Miami-Dade DS spotted a drug deal. As they pulled over the Philly PO jumps out and collars the guy before the DS can exit the cruiser. Technically out of his jurisdiction by a small amount. Personally I wouldn't want to do one of these ride-alongs in Miami-Dade unarmed!

LPguy, having worked for Brockton Edison back in 1966-7 (before it became Eastern Utilities) while on Co-op from NU, I saw a lot more of the seedy life than I had ever experienced before or after that job.

Knowing what I know now about Brockton as it is almost 40 years later, the job of Health Inspector should give you the right to have Ma Deuce mounted on your vehicle and a M16 on your shoulder!

Your job should be all the reason you need for a LTC-A/ALP! It's called self-preservation in a jungle.

Hey LenS,
    lemme know next time your gonna head south. Love to have ya over to the hacienda and a trip to the range!

Dan

JD,

Thanks for the invite. I haven't been down in your side of FL since the late 70s/early 80s when we made a trip to Tampa area with my late Mother-in-Law (she lived in FLL for 20 years). If I ever get down in your neck of the woods, I'll give you a shout. Meanwhile stay safe from all those hurricanes!

Did you ever run into Dick Sloggett, Jr of Tampa PD? I worked with him at the PD up here until he headed South (guess early 80s). I hear that he recently retired from the Tampa PD and may have moved to ME.

Hi Lp..
    As coming from a former Guy from Ma (I resided in Wilmington Ma for most of my life) The Issuing Officer in brocton ma told you the "Any Lawful Purpose" was on the money. Did he ever ask you why you wanted it? or if you carried large amounts of money? banker? Dr? Lawyer? etc.. If you took the NRA courseand passed it. I can't see why he won't issue you a Class A licence. Except that you might not be liked by him, or that the Chief has a "issue only to security guard/ or bonafide need" I think he (the Issuing officer) is only covering himself in this instance (the any lawful purpose) I think if you go thru the process, you'll come out fine. Just my 2 nickels worth

Thumbs up

LP
    We have been told by many LEO folks involved with CCW processing that
    the correct wording as to why you want a CCW is "personal protection"
    - no more. I know that that reason is accepted by Montana, Idaho,
    Washington and Utah.

When I applied for my first CCW many years age I got that advice from
    the Undersherrif of our county. That is all any one I know has used and
    they never have had a problem.

Hope that helps...

Lee..............
    Take Care.... Stay Safe.... Only Good Hits Count

Here in the Great state of Tennessee

to get a hand gun carry permit (does not indicate carry method or the word "concealed" so you can carry anyway you want) you have to fill out a form that says that you are not a nut, druggy or fugtive from the law, show proof of safety training, get finger printed and pay $115 and in 2 -3 weeks you are cocked locked and good to go. If you stay out of bars, places that are posted and schools you can carry anywhere. People are quite gun friendly here. About 30% of people that I know have a permit. My Dentist is a former FFL, my neighbor competes with his 1911 and reloads. This is a haven for the NRA. The gun club is 15 minutes away. If you are getting a picture of Hee Haw and coon dawgs in your mind, then stop. This is a very nice area with five star resturants and world class hotels. I stood in line at the market recently with Naomi Judd (no she did not talk to me). This part of TN is a gun owner's paradise. Betty lives around here someplace. Welcome.

New License

Thanks for all the help guys!

I filed the paperwork today. LenS was correct. The chief here is very, very strict. However, I went heavy on the "job related need" in my statement with the assistance of acparmed ( Thanks again bro) I'll let you all know how I make out. In the meantime, you'll see me around!

DC Founder
    Good luck, LPguy
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

New License

Thanks Bumper,

I should have an answer in afew weeks. I don't anticipate any problems

1952 - 2006
    LPguy I wish you all the luck. I'm hoping all goes well for you.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

LPguy

Thanks Acparmed! I'm dued to call on Thursday. That will be my 3 week mark since I applied. I was told to call in 3-4 weeks so I'll make a call then. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for all your help!
    Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links