New license

This is a discussion on New license within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi all! I'm a 40 year old working professional. I've recently taken the NRA class to have my License to carry. I'm in the process ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New license

Lightbulb New license

Hi all!

I'm a 40 year old working professional. I've recently taken the NRA class to have my License to carry. I'm in the process of filling out the application. However, it asks for a "full statement" as to why I want one. The officer said "just make it short and sweet" I was told by her that I couldn't just say "All lawful purposes"

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up Welcome!

Thanks for signing up.
    Does your job sometimes take you into any areas where you would have fear for your personal safety?

Maybe some other folks here from your State could give you a good statement.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

new license

yes, in fact it does. Just wondering how I should phrase it without sounding like a chicken or a cowboy......

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome LP

What to say? Hmmm ... not much help there - never have to do that here!!

Maybe -- ''During my daily schedule, I am at times inevitably obliged to be in areas where perceived risk to my personal safety is heightened. I would wish to be prepaired were I to come under attack''.

Or something!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    Let me think about this LPguy, I'll come up with something for you shortly.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

1952 - 2006

Cause For Issuance Letters

These are from a website for California CCW Permits, but I thought you might find something useful in this.

California CCW Permit Good Cause Statements – by Dennis Kennedy of SOG Inc
    According to California Penal Code Sections 12050-54 and the Ca Dept. of Justice Standard Application for CCW, the applicant must show "good cause" exists for the issuance of a CCW permit. The following are only examples of good cause statements used by other applicants in various counties here in CA. These examples can be successful when used properly in the application. These examples are just that. You should write your good cause or justification statements to suit your own individual case and circumstance.

Firearms Industry (dealers, Instructors, competitors, etc.)

I am an (title). As part of my normal duties, I carry and transport quantities of firearms and ammunition throughout (area). I travel late at night and often in and through remote areas where there is little law enforcement support. My greatest fear is that without any realistic means of self-protection, these firearms may easily be taken from me by the criminal element and then used against the public at large. This would be a horrific tragedy for everyone involved. Because of this, I am afraid that I will be killed or injured. For all of these reasons, I respectfully request that I be granted a concealed weapons permit.

Jewelers

I own a jewelry business called xxxx. I sell gold, diamonds, gems, and finished jewelry. I personally transport this merchandise to sales venues throughout the state as part of my business. I carry the jewelry to and from trade shows and exhibitions. In addition to the high value jewelry, I carry and make the cash deposits from the days sales, often late at night by ATM. I travel in and through remote and high crime areas to reach my appointments. Here in CA, a group of armed, professional criminals known as the South American Theft Group (SATG), frequently HUNTS jewelers like me to attack and rob. It is a well-known and documented fact that these criminals use violence, firearms and even vehicle crashes to assault jewelers.

It is only a matter of time until I am targeted. I am deathly afraid that I will be killed or injured in the event of a personal attack. I am not concerned about the merchandise. I have no other means of self-protection. For these reasons, I feel that my life is in jeopardy and require the concealed weapons permit to comply with the law and protect my life.

High Value Business (any cash business or valuable product)

I operate a business called xxx. We sell xxx to xxx. I personally carry and transport xxx amounting to $$$. Due to the high value nature of these products, they are a likely target for theft and robbery by the criminal element. In the course of my business, I also make the deposits for the store, sometimes late at night due to our long hours. I feel that carrying cash and valuable products such as xxx make me at risk for death or injury in the event of a personal attack. For all these reasons, I request that I be granted a concealed weapons permit for my own protection.

Attorney

I am an attorney, practicing (family/corporate/civil) law. I often work late at night, alone in the office. I make the cash deposits for the firm. I travel in and through high crime areas, often late at night to locate parties and witnesses involved in the cases I handle as well as take statements and depositions. I am afraid that I will be killed or injured as a result of these high-risk activities. For these reasons, I am requesting that I be granted a ccw permit for my own protection.

Private Investigator

I am a state licensed Private Investigator. In the course and scope of my lawful business I often work late at night, alone, in high crime areas conducting interviews, locating witnesses and conducting legal surveillance. I must perform these duties without any realistic means of self-protection. This places my life and safety at risk. I am afraid that I will be killed or injured as a result of these high-risk activities. For these reasons, I am applying for a concealed weapons permit for my own protection.

Bail Enforcement/Bounty Hunter

Use the Investigator example. Refrain from referring to your work as bail enforcement. Just use Investigator.

Retraining Order/Threat

Recently, my life was threatened by xxxx. I have attached copies of the police reports and court orders. I have no realistic means of self-defense. I am afraid that this person(s) will continue to stalk me until he/she is successful in murdering me. I travel alone, often at night, to and from work. I live in a remote area (if that is the case) where there is little law enforcement support. I realize that the police are not required to protect me 24 hours per day. For these reasons, I am applying for a concealed weapons permit to protect my life and comply with the law.

Medical Doctor (any that can prescribe)

I am a Medical Doctor, practicing xxx medicine. As an everyday part of my practice, I must carry highly controlled substances. A copy of my DEA permit is attached. I also carry at all times blank prescription forms, which are highly prized for theft by the criminal element. I also make cash deposits for my practice. I travel late at night, alone, in and through high crime areas in order to respond to medical emergencies. I realize that these high-risk activities make me a likely target by the criminal element for the purpose of illegally obtaining the controlled substances I carry. As a result, I am afraid that I will be killed or injured. I have no other viable means of self-protection. For these reasons, I request that I be granted a concealed weapons permit for my own protection. (Special note by Jim March: this can be adapted for retired doctors as well: the prescription stuff may not apply, but a moral doctor will stop for auto accidents or other types of situations in remote areas, even if it's just a suspicion that there's a situation in progress. Roadside attacks under such physically isolated circumstances are common, see also the murder of Bill Crosby's son.)

Executive Protection Agent (bodyguard)

My duties require me to provide close personal protection for (client or types of clients). He/she has had threats against them in the past. Copies of police reports are attached. This risk continues. This is an extremely dangerous job. I am required to be on call, to report for duty at any hour. To do this I must drive in and through high crime areas, alone, late at night. Currently, I am not armed while at work. I have no viable means of self-protection. I am afraid that I will be killed or maimed as a result of an attack. For these reasons, I request that I be granted a concealed weapons permit for my own protection and to comply with the law.

Customized Version

Persons needing help or advice constructing a good cause statement may contact Mr. Dennis Kennedy, CCW Instructor at 714-647-6662 or at email of: soginc@earthlink.net. His services are FREE OF CHARGE for the purpose of applying for a CA CCW permit. (Note by Jim March: Dennis has more experience dealing with law enforcement than I do, therefore I would highly recommend his help on crafting a "good cause" statement that will fly with the brass. However, depending on the Sheriff or Chief, there may not be any "good cause" statements they'll pay the slightest attention to. By all means try, but if you have to fight…that's what my site is about J .)
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    These are from a website for California CCW Permits, but I thought you might find something useful in this....
    That should pretty much have ya covered LPguy! By the way, welcome to the forum. We're glad you found us.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Regardless of what you put down on your application, my sources tell me that Brockton won't issue LTC-A/ALP unless you meet some very stringent requirements (e.g. business owner making cash deposits, LEO. etc.). It is also my understanding that they like to restrict you to a LTC-B (can't own any hi-cap pistols, can't carry ever).

Only way I know out of this besides moving, is to get a particular attorney who will help you file your application and face down the chief. He's known to get good results, but I don't know if he's faced off with Brockton yet. If you want his name, phone, website, just ask me. There are a lot of attorneys who make claims to help you, but he's the only one I know who is usually successful. He's currently taking on the Quincy & Brookline chiefs.

For those that don't know, Brockton is a "war zone"! I wouldn't recommend that any law abiding citizen drive in or thru that city unarmed (except perhaps if they stay on Rte. 24 only)!

Good luck, you'll need it!

This thread sure makes me glad I live in PA. No need to write a dissertation, just check "protection" on the form. Hopefully those states that aren't 'shall issue' will come around soon.

Good luck, LPguy, and welcome aboard.

SSKC

Hello LP

WOW!! This is the first time I have ever heard of such a requirement. Here in Ohio we just take the class, get our certificate and get out permit. No "just cuase" bullcrap. Does your state allow for the "beause civilization is going to hell in a handbasket" excuse?. I hope this all works out for you.

KRobb

I got my first permit in PA back before it was a shall issue state. I wrote somthing about camping or backpacking in remote areas and that was good enough to get the carry permit.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

because it is YOUR RIGHT, your inalienable right to go about safely each day for the duration of your life. Since not everyone can have an armed leo assigned them 24-7, then the average man will have to look out for themselves.

Dan

JD, sorry but in MA the serfs have NO rights! We're only allowed to do what the gov tell us we can do. The legislature here used the Constitution for toilet papers 100 years ago.

move, Bro! Come to sunny FL, the Gunshine State.

Dan

JD, I don't know!

I have my FL CCW, but the long list of places you can't legally carry has not impressed me!

MA can be a PITA, depending on who your chief is (each of the 351 different towns gets to make their own rules up as to who gets a LTC and who gets denied), BUT once you get your LTC the ONLY places prohibited by law are schools (including colleges)!

Our laws do not prohibit carry anywhere else. We prohibit being intoxicated while carrying, but you can carry into a bar and have a beer or two. Buildings/facilities may have their own security and not allow you in with any firearms, knives or even a sharp wit, BUT there is no law against it. [If requested to leave and you refuse, you can be charged with trespass, but that is true anywhere in the US and had nothing to do with guns.] I carry into our PD, can't do that in FL, etc.

Without a FL CCW, you can't buy guns at a South FL gun show and take them with you! In MA you need a permit to buy/possess anything, but once you have it everything is cash and carry (assuming FFL NICS works properly).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links