New girl debating to purchase and carry in GA

This is a discussion on New girl debating to purchase and carry in GA within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Last Saturday, my husband took me Skeet Shooting with a 20 gauge, it was fun, but painful so not really a new hobby for me. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New girl debating to purchase and carry in GA

New Member Array cherryblossommj's Avatar

New girl debating to purchase and carry in GA

Last Saturday, my husband took me Skeet Shooting with a 20 gauge, it was fun, but painful so not really a new hobby for me. Today we went to an all day three class thing where we learned gun safety, got to shoot various guns, and learned basics about concealed weapons carrying. I loved it! I have always wanted a gun for my safety, but kinda been scared of them. After learning so much I feel much more enthusiastic about the idea. Of all the guns that I shot today I really liked a Sig, which I think was the Sig Sauer p239... and even more than anything the S&W 3913LS. It was fabulous. So now... I'm researching... I have been reading and have heard more about the Sig Sauer p239, S&W 3913LS, and the S&W 908S. I really would love to hear any suggestions and thoughts. I tried revolvers too, but the grip and snap was just so much better on the two pistols. I also tried 22s, (as stated) the 9mms, 38 specials, 40s, and 45s... The 9mm is definitely my preference.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    welcome to the forum! There is a bunch of Sig Fans here that will be more than happy to help.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Cherry - welcome to the forums

I am a SIG user and my EDC is a 226 ST (in 9mm) - I also have a 228 and 220.

Your mention of the 239 tho suggests you may well have hit on a great platform for your use and perhaps carry too. I try not to be biased but - if the smaller SIG platform suits you well then go for it!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The Smith 3913 and 4013 are both great guns. Reliable, relatively flat and light to make them eaiser to conceal. So is the SIG 239. All will have good support by holster makers. Parts are available. They shoot well. Once broken in, they'll typically feed any ammunition you use, particularly if you consider getting an action/trigger and tuning job prior to starting to carry it. I'm a very big fan of that, since you're betting your life on the thing working when you need it to. Plus, S&W has great gunsmiths in their Performance Shop who can really make it sing.

There is one nice thing about pistols, though ... Don't worry about acquiring one you may end up not liking. If you buy quality stuff, there will be someone who will buy it. Then, you can keep searching for that one perfect match. I've been lucky. I tried dozens prior to first purchasing, and ended up carrying it for a decade since it proved so utterly reliable (the Browning BDM 9mm, from the 1990's).

Sounds like you had a great time, in the class. That can be an excellent way to be introduced to shooting, to the pros/cons of carrying, to the various firearms out there.

As for the carry license, absolutely go for it. If nothing else, it can keep your butt out of the cooker due to innocent missteps surrounding your shooting habit (ie, storage of the ammo and pistol when not actively traveling to/from the range). And, of course, it's worth the "bother" to be able to protect you and yours, should the unthinkable happen. Since you are absolutely on your own, when crime strikes, anyway, it's worth having the capacity to actually resist and prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryblossommj View Post
    ... Skeet Shooting with a 20 gauge, it was fun, but painful so not really a new hobby for me.
    Keep in mind that there are several different types of shotgun. Different gauges (10, 12, 16, 20, 28, .410), different sizes and weights, different barrel lengths. Not all shotguns have a lot of kick. A larger, longer, semi-auto shotgun can be a lot of fun to shoot. Depends on the person, level of fitness, whether the shotgun has a decent degree of balance and a reasonable recoil pad. For some, a shorter, lighter "double" (double-barrelled gun) in a "heavier" caliber and load can be tough on the shoulder. Consider, say, a Remington 105 or 11-87, Winchester X3, or a Benelli Super Black Eagle. Me, I've got an Ithaca SKB 100 20ga side-by-side, and it's got a solid kick due to its light weight. Though, I prefer it over a number of larger, longer shotties given its excellent balance. Can't hit many clays, but I have a great time.

Welcome to Defensivecarry!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.

Try the search function and you should find plenty about the 239 on the forum. I have one in 9 mm and it's my favorite. You'll find quite a few others that use them.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome -
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Hi from Fort Worth TX. Be sure to look at the Concealed Carry Guns section on this forum!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Welcome. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Sigs beyond they do have a pretty good reputation.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama. My first carry gun was a SIG P239 in 9mm. Great firearm. I still carry it occasionally. Now usually carry my S&W 10mm.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

CB, the Sig is really hard to beat. I had a chance to try a Walthers P99 today, and it was very impressive too, but for the money, go Sig!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Welcome from West Tennessee!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee!

Welcome from Central California.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    The S&W LS Lady Smith is configured slightly differently so finding an exact fitting LS holster or finding a custom holster maker to make one for you might be difficult.
    That would be because there are no Aluminum or plastic gun/holster molds specifically for the LS version.
    At least, according to one other member that has one.
    So your present holster/carry choices for a LS holster will be very limited.
    The good news is that the holster problem could easily be solved if you can find a local custom holster maker to construct a custom holster for you and "wet mold" it directly to your LS firearm.
    Just FYI

Oh...and welcome to the forum. Join right in anywhere on DefensiveCarry.
    Many of the finest "gun folks" in America are right here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Welcome Aboard from SE GA! As far as sidearms go, whichever you trust and you can carry will be the best one.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links